Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30676 times)

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2018, 02:22:42 am »
I would post one for you, but you have me on ignore so would never see it.  Sausage gravy and biscuits has been our traditional Christmas morning breakfast for longer than I've been alive.

I read this post.  BTW. Never over mix, handle biscuit dough, too much Make's it tough.  Light touch.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !  :tree3:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2018, 02:26:54 am »
I read this post.  BTW. Never over mix, handle biscuit dough, too much Make's it tough.  Light touch.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !  :tree3:

Then would you like to discuss sausage gravy?

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
  Hard Tac....made with flour, water, salt.  They don't recommend any oil, butter, lard, as it won't last as long. Tend to go rancid.

This is survival food.  Baked twice, holes poked in it like a cracker.  Can be used as as door stop!  Hard as a brick. lol

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2018, 02:29:47 am »
Then would you like to discuss sausage gravy?

Sure.   8888mistltoe

Offline corbe

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2018, 02:32:44 am »
ORANGE GRAVY   

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1/2 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 c. raisins

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and orange juice; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients. Yield: about 3 cups.

I don't hate you half as much as think I do @LegalAmerican
    Merry Christmas, Sweetheart

:tree3:

PS: what do you do with @Emjay?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2018, 02:45:22 am »

What do you put that on @corbe?

I expect that @Emjay is too busy enjoying Christmas to have time for us.  Where are you, Emjay?

Offline corbe

« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:25 am »

I expect that @Emjay is too busy enjoying Christmas to have time for us.  Where are you, Emjay?

Mexicans of course @Sanguine

I think @Emjay is the Continental USA for the Holidays and just too ashamed to admit it.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2018, 02:52:30 am »
   Mexicans of course @Sanguine

I think @Emjay is the Continental USA for the Holidays and just too ashamed to admit it.

Like sunscreen? 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2018, 02:53:30 am »

Sure.   8888mistltoe

Oh, where to start.... with the sausage.
We always used Tennessee Pride Mild because we liked that flavor, but use whatever bulk breakfast sausage you like.  This year I bought ground pork and am seasoning it with AC Legg #10.  I use 1 lb of sausage to 2 quarts of milk.

First, brown the sausage well.  You want to keep the fat for making the gravy.  I brown the sausage in the big pot that I'm going to make the gravy in and then pull out the cooked sausage and hold it in a bowl until I'm ready to put it in the gravy.

So, let's say we've browned 1 lb of sausage and are going to use 2 quarts of milk to make gravy.  You want 8 Tbsp of pork fat, if you don't have enough pork fat add enough butter to make up the difference.

Time to make the roux.  Over medium heat, heat your 8 Tbsps fat.  Add 10 Tbsp of all-purpose flour and whisk continuously until smooth.  Add milk a little at a time, whisking continuously.  Once the first bit of milk you add has been whisked in and everything is smooth add more milk and repeat until all the milk is added and it's smooth.  Keep whisking and bring to a boil and allow to boil at least 1 minute to make sure the flour is cooked.  This is the time to taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. 

Turn the heat off and stir the browned sausage in and it's done.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2018, 03:03:05 am »

I'm not enjoying Christmas @Sanguine because I suffered a bad leg injury and am forbidden to sit at the computer.  I'm supposed to sit in a recliner with my leg elevated or lie in bed with my leg elevated.

Y'all will have to solve the worlds' problems without me for a while.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2018, 03:05:24 am »
I'm not enjoying Christmas @Sanguine because I suffered a bad leg injury and am forbidden to sit at the computer.  I'm supposed to sit in a recliner with my leg elevated or lie in bed with my leg elevated.

Y'all will have to solve the worlds' problems without me for a while.

I'm so sorry to hear that!  I hope you have a great Christmas from your recliner.   Take it easy and have some eggnog.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2018, 03:07:59 am »
I didn't even know they come frozen!
That's right about the refrigerator kind... I can't stand toob dough - Ain't no way to keep it. Still using it though... Till I get a good pizza dough worked out, and I can make flaky biscuits... and croissants... What is life without pigs in a blanket?

Have you tried freezing the tube?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline corbe

« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2018, 03:09:05 am »
   Your absence certainly had me baffled @Emjay
   My thoughts and prayers for a rapid recovery fly across the ocean to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2018, 03:17:06 am »
We always used Tennessee Pride Mild because we liked that flavor, but use whatever bulk breakfast sausage you like.  This year I bought ground pork and am seasoning it with AC Legg #10.  I use 1 lb of sausage to 2 quarts of milk.

First, brown the sausage well.  You want to keep the fat for making the gravy.  I brown the sausage in the big pot that I'm going to make the gravy in and then pull out the cooked sausage and hold it in a bowl until I'm ready to put it in the gravy.

So, let's say we've browned 1 lb of sausage and are going to use 2 quarts of milk to make gravy.  You want 8 Tbsp of pork fat, if you don't have enough pork fat add enough butter to make up the difference.

Time to make the roux.  Over medium heat, heat your 8 Tbsps fat.  Add 10 Tbsp of all-purpose flour and whisk continuously until smooth.  Add milk a little at a time, whisking continuously.  Once the first bit of milk you add has been whisked in and everything is smooth add more milk and repeat until all the milk is added and it's smooth.  Keep whisking and bring to a boil and allow to boil at least 1 minute to make sure the flour is cooked.  This is the time to taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. 

Ok, got it. Thanks.  This, you pour over Biscuit?  Mom liked this in her later years.  She has since, passed.  Not born in America. 7777sleigh
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:18:17 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2018, 03:26:42 am »
I’m going to hijack this thread in the name of southern hospitality: Divinity is on the to do list tomorrow. We make it every year and it’s always a big hit, both for those who’ve had it before and those who’ve never heard of it until tasting.

Modified to add: When I add the pecans I pronounce it PUH-kahns. Sue me, bitches.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:28:22 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2018, 03:27:02 am »

Ok, got it. Thanks.  This, you pour over Biscuit?  Mom liked this in her later years.  She has since, passed.  Not born in America. 7777sleigh

Yep, ladled over a biscuit.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2018, 03:31:47 am »
I’m going to hijack this thread in the name of southern hospitality: Divinity is on the to do list tomorrow. We make it every year and it’s always a big hit, both for those who’ve had it before and those who’ve never heard of it until tasting.

Modified to add: When I add the pecans I pronounce it PUH-kahns. Sue me, bitches.

Divinity is a little too candy-like for my taste.  We'll be making chocolate chip cookies tomorrow with my son so we have something to leave out for Santa.

PS  It's PICK-ann

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2018, 03:35:23 am »
Divinity is a little too candy-like for my taste.  We'll be making chocolate chip cookies tomorrow with my son so we have something to leave out for Santa.

PS  It's PICK-ann

Not pick-AY-uhn?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline corbe

« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2018, 03:46:27 am »
   I live 12 miles from the largest pe - Kanh in the World I've even urinated on it, you folks don't have a clue.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2018, 03:49:16 am »
Not pick-AY-uhn?

Granddaddy was from as far south and east in Georgia as you can go without being in Florida or the Atlantic.  They said PICK-ann and I copy him.  My mom and husband say puh-KAHN

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2018, 04:58:26 am »
   I live 12 miles from the largest pe - Kanh in the World I've even urinated on it

Doesn't that make it your property now? I mean, you marked it so, now it is yours. (if you can defend it from intruders)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2018, 02:26:49 pm »

In TN sausage gravy is a sacred dish.  When hubby and I were dating we visited his mother and her new husband, born, bred and Tennesse country boy to the bone.  He mentioned he liked sausage gravy and I volunteered to make him some.  Hubby nearly had a stroke.  He knew I had been raised a vegetarian, he didn't know I had learned to make sausage gravy for my x.  He thought I was about to blow it. 

Won the heart of my son to be father-in-law that day.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2018, 04:29:11 pm »
   Your absence certainly had me baffled @Emjay
   My thoughts and prayers for a rapid recovery fly across the ocean to you.

Thanks @corbe   I can't sit and chat but I check my e-mails.  It's a real pain but my doctor keeps threatening me with amputation if I don't do everything he says so mostly I do.  Hope to be back in a couple of weeks.  Keep up the good fight.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2018, 06:35:54 pm »

What is this sweet gravy...for?   Ham?   

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2018, 06:40:03 pm »
   I live 12 miles from the largest pe - Kanh in the World I've even urinated on it, you folks don't have a clue.

Why...why...would you do that?   Ugh.