Author Topic: Understanding the weird world of California conservatives  (Read 1886 times)

Offline corbe

Understanding the weird world of California conservatives
« on: November 24, 2018, 08:35:01 pm »
Understanding the weird world of California conservatives

By Ben Boychuk
Special to The Sacramento Bee

November 21, 2018 12:12 PM

To be conservative in California can be frustrating. Republicans haven’t won a statewide election here in a decade. Conservative policy prescriptions—such as they are—don’t have much of a constituency where most Californians live. And the place is thoroughly, maddeningly, insufferably, sometimes stiflingly “progressive.”

Which, if you think about it, makes those of us on the political right something of a counterculture. Far out!

More than that, California conservatives apparently have an outsize voice in national politics. Vox, the self-styled explanatory journalism website, published a story Monday that attempts to explain how California conservatives came to form the intellectual impetus for Donald Trump’s unlikely political ascent.

Reporter Jane Coaston “traveled the length of the Golden State, stopping at conservative outpost after conservative outpost”—which seems to have spanned from the San Fernando Valley to Claremont, about 50 miles east of L.A.

Never mind the geographical quibbles. What she discovered is a conservatism of defiance, “isolation,” and “powerlessness,” articulated by people “who believe their views will never become the view.” Sounds like a bummer.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article222033155.html#storylink=cpy
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Understanding the weird world of California conservatives
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:25:36 pm »
Astonishing.  A liberal reporterette decided conservatives were worth "studying," like bugs under a microscope.  How big of her.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:42 pm »
Maybe the bigger question is: why do they stick around?  Although, living in NY, I could ask myself the same question. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:49:42 am »
Maybe the bigger question is: why do they stick around?  Although, living in NY, I could ask myself the same question.

They probably stick around California for the same reason you probably stick around New York. It’s home.  It’s hard to leave a place you call home
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:50 am »

After living in California for 49 years I moved out this year. I had enough. I took my business with me along with several employees.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:27:01 am by DB »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:48:06 am »
After living in California for 49 years I moved out this year. I had enough. I took my business with me along with several employees.

Congratulations!!! Unless Portland/Seattle/Denver/DFW/Houston... Hope you are happy, happy, happy.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
Congratulations!!! Unless Portland/Seattle/Denver/DFW/Houston... Hope you are happy, happy, happy.

@DB is near me.  Just in time for me to leave...lol.  Sorry, DB!  (Welcome to the Valley of the Sun, BTW!)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: