Author Topic: The 60s Cat Box... Music Thread  (Read 30749 times)

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: The 60s Cat Box... Music Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2019, 08:00:12 am »
Late 60s song by Louis Armstrong that flopped in the charts at the time.... 35 years later it was used in a commercial and made it to 3rd in the UK charts...

Louis Armstrong - We have all the Time in the World.mp3
https://mab.to/QsThZHzS0

Beautiful song...

3 Days Only
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:01:33 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2019, 02:03:28 pm »
Late 60s song by Louis Armstrong that flopped in the charts at the time.... 35 years later it was used in a commercial and made it to 3rd in the UK charts...

Louis Armstrong - We have all the Time in the World.mp3
https://mab.to/QsThZHzS0

Beautiful song...

3 Days Only

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I'm going to guess it was overshadowed in the 60s by

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2019, 04:11:38 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I'm going to guess it was overshadowed in the 60s by

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
@PeteS in CA

Not exactly. "What a Wonderful World" actually got no higher than number 12 on the still-young "adult contemporary" chart in 1967, and no higher than number 7 on the same chart when Good Morning, Vietnam prompted the single's re-release in 1988. The Armstrong record that overshadowed anything else he did in the 1960s was, unfortunately . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . and I say "unfortunately" because despite going to number one on the charts in 1964 (and, ridiculously, winning the Grammy award for the year's best single) it wasn't even close to the quality of what Armstrong did for so many years prior to the 1960s, especially this album of 1954 from which I offer a great taste . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:12:33 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Sighlass

« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2019, 07:34:26 am »
Well thanks everyone for the tunes this year... and replies to the tunes... I don't often reply because I don't see myself as knowledgeable enough to... but I listen to them.

Anyhoo... ran across a little odd thing that some Beatles fans might enjoy... just a weird oddity.... seems the Beatles fan club would put out little disks (often floppy disks) during the holidays... Here is a collection of them over the years (60s) .... like I said, only something probable die hard fans would appreciate... I left the art (pics) with it...

Fab 4 - Christmas Singles (1963-69).zip
https://mab.to/2KbAa2QNw

3 Hard Day Nights Only
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online corbe

« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2019, 05:58:02 pm »
Thank You by Led Zeppelin in 1080p HD

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Sighlass

« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:11 am »

Album says 20 One Hit Wonders and mostly seems to be 60s songs and a lot of them are cover songs. But I knew most the songs (Beetles ect) so it wasn't obscure stuff. Maybe someone will get a kick or two of this. Album source so expect some imperfections.

VA - 20 One Hit Wonders.zip
https://mab.to/sZBMjH9KD

3 Days Only

Online Sighlass

« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2020, 10:59:08 am »

Not my cup of tea to be honest... but if someone has interest, will post the other cds in the series.

Nuggets 1.zip
https://mab.to/zgdd8BGrd

3 Days Only

Online Sighlass

« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2020, 11:48:07 am »

Continued from the above post.... this is second disk of four...

Disc 2.zip
https://mab.to/EXikCiMm7

The The Syndicate of Sound song called "Little Girl" was later covered (by the Divinyls) in the 80s and I really liked it.

3 Days Only
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:09:53 pm by Sighlass »

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »

Album says 20 One Hit Wonders and mostly seems to be 60s songs and a lot of them are cover songs. But I knew most the songs (Beetles ect) so it wasn't obscure stuff. Maybe someone will get a kick or two of this. Album source so expect some imperfections.

VA - 20 One Hit Wonders.zip
https://mab.to/sZBMjH9KD

3 Days Only

Agreed...many covers & the 2 by the original artists were not their only hits...

B. Bumble & The Stingers-Bumble Boogie:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Joe South-Don't It Make You Want to Go Home:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2020, 01:13:24 pm »

Not my cup of tea to be honest... but if someone has interest, will post the other cds in the series.

Nuggets 1.zip

3 Days Only

Other songs by a few of the artists...

The Strangeloves-I Want Candy:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Shadows Of Night-Gloria

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Barbarians-Are You A Boy Or Are You A Girl:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Amboy Dukes-Journey to the Center of the Mind

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

& the original Sugar And Spice by The Searchers:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:16:49 pm by pookie18 »

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2020, 01:25:57 pm »

Continued from the above post.... this is second disk of four...

Disc 2.zip
https://mab.to/EXikCiMm7

The The Syndicate of Sound song called "Little Girl" was later covered (by the Divinyls) in the 80s and I really liked it.

3 Days Only

Different songs by a few of the artists...

Beau Brummels-Just A Little

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Five Americans-Western Union:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Paul Revere & The Raiders-Kicks:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Sighlass

« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2020, 02:11:08 pm »
Thanks Pookie... you rule buddy...

This next one ... I noticed had a "Louie Louie" knock-off song.... Most the rest of the songs I had never heard of to be honest.

Disc 3.zip
https://mab.to/4KByEpgds

Thats all for today....

3 days only

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2020, 02:50:20 pm »
Thanks Pookie... you rule buddy...

This next one ... I noticed had a "Louie Louie" knock-off song.... Most the rest of the songs I had never heard of to be honest.

Disc 3.zip
https://mab.to/4KByEpgds

Thats all for today....

3 days only

Liked 2 New Colony Six songs...

I Will Always Think About You:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Things I'd Like To Say:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2020, 06:30:19 pm »

Nuggets 1.zip

3 Days Only
@Sighlass

Every time someone mentions Nuggets this one becomes my ear worm . . .

Sagittarius, "My World Fell Down"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . and if it sounds like a kind-of discard from the Beach Boys's Pet Sounds/Smile era, it's the next best thing: Sagittarius was actually three musicians with Beach Boys connections: Gary Usher (who'd co-written songs with Brian Wilson earlier in the Beach Boys' career), Bruce Johnston (who joined the band first as Brian Wilson's stand-in on bass for Beach Boys tours, when Wilson began making composing and recording his full-time work), and Glen Campbell (before his own fame, he was one of the Wrecking Crew studio musicians who played on a lot of Beach Boys studio recordings and toured with them as their bassist briefly before Johnston got the job full-time), who actually sang the lead on "My World Fell Down," though obviously not in his soon-to-be-familiar baritone.

And, the "G. Stephens" listed as the song's co-writer is probably one Geoff Stephens, who created one of the 1960s biggest by-the-way hits: 1966's "Winchester Cathedral," which inadvertently provided a road map to Monty Python---Stephens wrote "Winchester Cathedral" in the style of the vintage British music hall revues he loved growing up, made the record with studio musicians he dubbed the New Vaudeville Band, and suddenly needed a road band when the thing became an international smash including going number one in the U.S.

Stephens found one, or so he thought, a group of musical satirists using Brit music hall, jazz, and rock and roll as their foundation and calling themselves the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. The Bonzos as a whole weren't interested, but one of their original horn men, Bob Kerr, was, and signed onto Stephens's touring band. The New Vaudeville Band petered out once the "Winchester Cathedral" novelty wore off (they managed two more chart singles in England, though), but the Bonzos endured . . . including a guitarist/keyboardsman who wrote about half their material (trumpeter/vocalist Viv Stanshall wrote the other half), helping their music influence the comedy troupe he eventually joined: the late Neil Innes.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2020, 06:19:55 am »
@Sighlass Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:16 am »
@Sighlass Thanks!

Back at ya @Smokin Joe .... Here is the final disk in the series Part 1, (yes there is a 4 disk Part II also)... some more popular songs in this one here I noticed.

Disc 4.zip
https://mab.to/X9s4wdvfy

I have fun looking the reply music that Pookie and Easyace provide... Glen Campbell in an Beach Boy sounding group... Who would of thunk... and the linked "Winchester Cathedral" song I actually recognized.

Anyhoo...  3 Days Only
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:45:13 am by Sighlass »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:50 am »
Back at ya @Smokin Joe .... Here is the final disk in the series (Part 1, yes there is a 4 disk Part II also)... some more popular songs here I noticed.

Disc 4.zip
https://mab.to/X9s4wdvfy

I have fun looking the reply music that Pookie and Easyace provide... Glen Campbell in an Beach Boy sounding group... Who would of thunk... and the linked "Winchester Cathedral" song I actually recognized.

Anyhoo...  3 Days Only
Thanks! Got it!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2020, 02:58:04 pm »
Well, since we're going Nuggets (I bought the original two-LP set when it was released in 1972), this is still one of my favourites from that collection . . .

The Count Five, "Psychotic Reaction"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2020, 03:05:57 pm »
@Sighlass

From 1966, when the touring New Vaudeville Band appeared on The Hollywood Palace television variety show to mime two songs---on the night Kate Smith was the show's guest host. (You may notice, too, that the pocket trumpeter who lip-synchs "Winchester Cathedral" has a resemblance to American comedian Larry Storch . . .)

The New Vaudeville Band, "Peek-A-Boo"/"Winchester Cathedral"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The cartoon balloons they used during the spot were an idea Bob Kerr brought over from the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band he'd left to join the touring NVB; the Bonzos kept it as part of their own stage act for just about their entire existence.

Just in case you're curious, here's a taste of the Bonzos from their first (and best) album:

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, "The Intro and The Outro"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Sighlass

« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2020, 12:46:18 pm »
Ok, about due a ditty here... sorta an obscure singer that started out Folk and ended up Hippy Moonbat weird...  sounds like quite a few artist come to think of it...

Anyhoo... bunch of her singles here spanning from 1966 to 77... 50 songs so fairly large file in high bitrate Mp3..

Melanie Safka but went by just Melanie I think...

Melanie - God's Only Daughter - The Complete US Singles.zip
https://mab.to/v2xL37Zzk

3 Flower Child Days Only
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:05:10 pm by Sighlass »

Online Sighlass

« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2020, 02:01:46 pm »
Late year 1969... Songs that were in the top 30 at the time... Series will continue in the 70s thread at a later date... These songs lingered into the year 1970 (in the top 30)...

Late 1969 to 1970.zip
https://mab.to/crE6ysA0l

3 Days Only

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2020, 03:20:32 pm »
Late year 1969... Songs that were in the top 30 at the time... Series will continue in the 70s thread at a later date... These songs lingered into the year 1970 (in the top 30)...

Late 1969 to 1970.zip
https://mab.to/crE6ysA0l

3 Days Only

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head was from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

Jackson 5's I Want You Back was their only hit from the '60s.

Arizona was Mark Lindsay's biggest hit after leaving Paul Revere & The Raiders to go solo.

Tom Jones's Without Love covered this Clyde McPhatter 1957 original:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jay & The American's Walking In The Rain covered this Ronettes 1964 original:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Gene Pitney's She Lets Her Hair Down hit the charts on the same day as this version by the Tokens which did a little better:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Johnny Nash's Cupid covered this Sam Cooke 1961 original:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Sighlass

« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:58 pm »
Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head was from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.
Jay & The American's Walking In The Rain covered this Ronettes 1964 original:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Wow, I got sidetracked for a good hour (probable longer) reading up on the Ronettes.... what an interesting background they were comprised from... Phil in the mix and then you lose another hour or so researching. Thanks Pookie!

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »
Wow, I got sidetracked for a good hour (probable longer) reading up on the Ronettes.... what an interesting background they were comprised from... Phil in the mix and then you lose another hour or so researching. Thanks Pookie!

My pleasure, @Sighlass! Yes, I liked most of the songs by The Ronettes. Yeah, Ronnie's ex-husband Phil Spector … well, what can I say about him.

Well, here he is singing in 1958 (Phil's on the right):

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:20 am »
@Sighlass

Every time someone mentions Nuggets this one becomes my ear worm . . .

Sagittarius, "My World Fell Down"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . and if it sounds like a kind-of discard from the Beach Boys's Pet Sounds/Smile era, it's the next best thing: Sagittarius was actually three musicians with Beach Boys connections: Gary Usher (who'd co-written songs with Brian Wilson earlier in the Beach Boys' career), Bruce Johnston (who joined the band first as Brian Wilson's stand-in on bass for Beach Boys tours, when Wilson began making composing and recording his full-time work), and Glen Campbell (before his own fame, he was one of the Wrecking Crew studio musicians who played on a lot of Beach Boys studio recordings and toured with them as their bassist briefly before Johnston got the job full-time), who actually sang the lead on "My World Fell Down," though obviously not in his soon-to-be-familiar baritone.

@EasyAce
@Sighlass

Can y'all ping me on posts that contain any music or info about Glen Campbell? After he passed, I decided to hop onto YouTube and listen to a few of his songs. I ended up watching about a zillion videos and developed a ridiculous school-girl crush 3333hugs (an embarrassing admission at my advanced age). I don't pay much attention to celebrity or pop culture, so I never knew about the troubled years of his life and was completely ignorant of the Tanya Tucker episode until it became part of the news coverage upon his passing.

Like numerous others, I had little appreciation for his talent when he was living. Once I started digging in, I could have kicked myself for never going to one of his concerts. My BFF went to 3 over the years and said he was a fabulous entertainer. I'm thankful that so many of his performances are preserved on video. If they were vinyl records, I'd have worn them thin by now.  3333hugs

I didn't like this song "My World Fell Down," but I could recognize his voice from the beginning. I've watched all the Glen Campbell bios and extended interviews on YouTube and don't remember his mentioning this. I love learning these little tidbits about his career. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.