Poll

Due to the salmonella outbreak affecting the turkey industry will you be eating turkey this Thanksgiving?

Yes, I'll take my chances.
13 (86.7%)
No, don't want to chance having to spend Thanksgiving in the E.R.
0 (0%)
Having Ham Instead
0 (0%)
Having Prime Rib Instead
1 (6.7%)
Going Vegetarian This Thanksgiving (no romaine lettuce)
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: November 22, 2018, 11:54:47 pm

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Turkey  (Read 4583 times)

Online libertybele

Thanksgiving Turkey
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:54:47 pm »
The CDC can't seem to determine the source of the salmonella affecting turkeys.  They've no that some 90,000 lbs of frozen Jennie-O-Turkey is tainted, but it is affecting live turkeys as well and they don't know how widespread it is.  What is worrisome is that this strain of salmonella is multi antibiotic resistant.

Nope, not taking any chances.  Cooking prime rib and having all the Thanksgiving trimmings and desserts along with it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

Re: Thanksgiving Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:05:15 am »
Mine are wild, so...  :shrug:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:22:40 am »
Doesn't everyone work on the assumption that all of the fowl products are contaminated with salmonella?  Isn't that why we cook them to at least 160*F?

Anyway, we haven't made turkey for Thanksgiving in years.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:28:56 am »
Doesn't everyone work on the assumption that all of the fowl products are contaminated with salmonella?  Isn't that why we cook them to at least 160*F?

Smoke em if you've got em... That'll fix it. And it turns everything into candy. Sooo mobedda.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:35:49 am »
I make turkey several times a year..been doing this for almost 50 years and no one has ever been sick...I am very careful handling and cleaning all utensils and use a thermometer to check the turkey...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:21 am »
Smoke em if you've got em... That'll fix it. And it turns everything into candy. Sooo mobedda.

I don't have a good way for smoking right now.  I've had my eye on a dedicated smoker for a while, but I haven't talked myself into getting it.  I have a smoker box for the grill, but you only get a light smoke from that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 12:43:36 am »
I don't have a good way for smoking right now.  I've had my eye on a dedicated smoker for a while, but I haven't talked myself into getting it.  I have a smoker box for the grill, but you only get a light smoke from that.

Barrel House Cooker
Get that fat bastard.

You can thank me later.  :beer:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:48:26 am »
Barrel House Cooker
Get that fat bastard.

You can thank me later.  :beer:

Those look great. Wish they were electric.   :laugh:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 12:50:39 am »
A couple of years ago, my friends and I decided to deep fry a whole turkey. It went well. There was no fire or explosion like you see on youtube. It was just a simple fried turkey.

But I have to say, after all the hoopla, the taste was plain. I mean it was cooked, but with no basting and spices or stuffing and a long slow cook in the oven, it was just blah. Everyone wants to deep fry a Turkey. I don't know why. It is kind of fun as a sort of 'project', but it terms of flavor and being succulent, it loses all of this across the board.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 12:52:47 am »
What the hell type of TBR Poll doesn't have the "Pot" option? Bah humbug.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 01:01:12 am »
Those look great. Wish they were electric.   :laugh:

:silly: :beer:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:02:11 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 01:02:54 am »
A couple of years ago, my friends and I decided to deep fry a whole turkey. It went well. There was no fire or explosion like you see on youtube. It was just a simple fried turkey.

But I have to say, after all the hoopla, the taste was plain. I mean it was cooked, but with no basting and spices or stuffing and a long slow cook in the oven, it was just blah. Everyone wants to deep fry a Turkey. I don't know why. It is kind of fun as a sort of 'project', but it terms of flavor and being succulent, it loses all of this across the board.

S.M.O.K.E

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:34 am »

"Trichinosis is mainly spread when undercooked meat containing Trichinella cysts is eaten.[1] Most often this is pork but can also occur from bear and dog meat.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:36 am »
"Trichinosis is mainly spread when undercooked meat containing Trichinella cysts is eaten.[1] Most often this is pork but can also occur from bear and dog meat.[7]"

If you've seen her "cooking" you would know why she doesn't do turkey anymore, or as her family used to call it Death Bird.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 01:10:18 am »

Bought one for me and one for my son..he uses his all the time..I've used mine twice...sits in the box in the garage...We prefer to bake the turkey..

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011114-Butterball-Indoor-Electric/dp/B00BWKN0HC
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 01:10:52 am »

:silly: :beer:

LOL  IKR?  Coals are a pain the rear though, and since I rarely plan meals ahead of time, needing an hour to get the coals ready is a deal killer for me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 01:13:33 am »
If you've seen her "cooking" you would know why she doesn't do turkey anymore, or as her family used to call it Death Bird.

You talk about me as though we're familiar-like.  You best come on down for a homecooked southern meal before you say more.  I'll teach you to make sausage gravy with biscuits.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 01:14:16 am »
Bought one for me and one for my son..he uses his all the time..I've used mine twice...sits in the box in the garage...We prefer to bake the turkey..

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011114-Butterball-Indoor-Electric/dp/B00BWKN0HC

The hassle of doing something with all that left over oil isn't worth it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 01:15:11 am »

Ummm....okay.  This is why you order pork well done and not the medium that restaurants offer these days.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:16:00 am by RoosGirl »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 01:17:01 am »
Since I don't buy Jennie-O turkeys anyway, there'll be a lovely bird on my Thanksgiving table tomorrow.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 01:22:00 am »
LOL  IKR?  Coals are a pain the rear though, and since I rarely plan meals ahead of time, needing an hour to get the coals ready is a deal killer for me.

Naw. It ain't an hour... Light off a chimney and it's about 20 mins. Maybe 15... pour the rest of the coals into the bottom, and pour the ready coals on top.

Not that I can tell you much. I use wood. And that takes a while. A while I am ready made for... Sitting around a fire with a beer waiting for coals is exactly my style.

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:24 am »
Ummm....okay.  This is why you order pork well done and not the medium that restaurants offer these days.

And dogs can be had free from the pound.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 01:39:10 am »

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm
The dramatic declines in trichinae in pigs reflect changes in the industry. Historically, trichinae infection in pigs was associated with feeding of raw garbage. Major inroads were made into trichinae infection with the advent of garbage cooking laws passed for vesicular exanthema (1953-1954) and the hog cholera eradication program (1962). Of equal importance has been the movement to high levels of biosecurity and hygiene under which most pigs are now raised. Still, opportunities for exposure of pigs exist and some precautions should be implemented (see below).

Despite the fact that trichinae is rare in today's industry, pork still suffers from its legacy. Today, the trichinae issue is a question of perception versus reality. Dramatic declines in prevalence in pigs and the extremely low numbers of cases in humans are largely unrecognized by domestic consumers who still raise questions about "worms in pork". Further, lack of a trichinae control program creates problems for fresh pork in international markets despite the extremely low prevalence (essentially zero in intensive management systems).

Cooking - Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52� C (125.6� F), in 6 minutes at 55� C (131� F), and in < 1 minute at

60� C (140� F). It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat. Alternative methods of heating, particularly the use of microwaves, have been shown to give different results, with parasites not completely inactivated when product was heated to reach a prescribed end-point temperature. The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations for processed pork products reflects experimental data, and requires pork to be cooked for 2 hours at 52.2� C (126� F), for 15 minutes at 55.6� C (132� F), and for 1 minute at 60� C (140� F).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that consumers of fresh pork cook the product to an internal temperature of 71� C or 160� F. Although this is considerably higher than temperatures at which trichinae are killed (about 55� C or 131� F), it allows for different methods of cooking which do not always result in even distribution of temperature throughout the meat. It should be noted that heating to 77� C (171� F) or 82� C (180� F) was not completely effective when cooking was performed using microwaves.

Offline endicom

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 02:13:42 am »
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm
The dramatic declines in trichinae in pigs reflect changes in the industry. Historically, trichinae infection in pigs was associated with feeding of raw garbage. Major inroads were made into trichinae infection with the advent of garbage cooking laws passed for vesicular exanthema (1953-1954) and the hog cholera eradication program (1962). Of equal importance has been the movement to high levels of biosecurity and hygiene under which most pigs are now raised. Still, opportunities for exposure of pigs exist and some precautions should be implemented (see below).

Despite the fact that trichinae is rare in today's industry, pork still suffers from its legacy. Today, the trichinae issue is a question of perception versus reality. Dramatic declines in prevalence in pigs and the extremely low numbers of cases in humans are largely unrecognized by domestic consumers who still raise questions about "worms in pork". Further, lack of a trichinae control program creates problems for fresh pork in international markets despite the extremely low prevalence (essentially zero in intensive management systems).

Cooking - Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52� C (125.6� F), in 6 minutes at 55� C (131� F), and in < 1 minute at

60� C (140� F). It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat. Alternative methods of heating, particularly the use of microwaves, have been shown to give different results, with parasites not completely inactivated when product was heated to reach a prescribed end-point temperature. The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations for processed pork products reflects experimental data, and requires pork to be cooked for 2 hours at 52.2� C (126� F), for 15 minutes at 55.6� C (132� F), and for 1 minute at 60� C (140� F).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that consumers of fresh pork cook the product to an internal temperature of 71� C or 160� F. Although this is considerably higher than temperatures at which trichinae are killed (about 55� C or 131� F), it allows for different methods of cooking which do not always result in even distribution of temperature throughout the meat. It should be noted that heating to 77� C (171� F) or 82� C (180� F) was not completely effective when cooking was performed using microwaves.

Hmmm, nothing about dog meat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 02:15:25 am »

Hmmm, nothing about dog meat.

You eat dog meat and you deserve worms and whatever else you get.