Author Topic: Farewell to excellent, fun-loving Adrian Beltre  (Read 2778 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Farewell to excellent, fun-loving Adrian Beltre
« on: November 20, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »
By Yours Truly

Quick: Name the only Hall of Famer-to-be who ever got thrown out of a game for moving the on-deck circle. Hint: He’s retiring as the fourth greatest third baseman ever to play the game, the guy you almost never saw coming as being that great until there he was, and you saw it just soon enough before the end came nigh, almost.

When he wasn’t loosening up teammates and even opposing players, Adrian Beltre had a career-long habit of loosening up aside, not on the on-deck circle. No umpire ever saw fit to challenge the habit until Gerry Davis, during a July 2017 game in which Beltre already had three extra base hits including a home run but the Rangers were being blown out regardless by the Marlins, of all people.

Beltre also happened to be four base hits away from the magic number, 3000, at the time.

In the bottom of the eighth Beltre again took his station outside the on-deck circle. It was a habit he developed after getting conked by one foul ball too many early in his career. When Davis order Beltre to stand in the on-deck circle, Beltre’s response was to pull the large round mat with the Rangers’ official logo toward him.

The crowd went slightly wild with glee, but Beltre insisted he wasn’t going for a laugh. “He told me to stand on the mat,” Beltre said after the game, “so I pulled the mat where I was and stand on it. I actually did what he told me. I was listening.”

He even told Davis why he normally stood outside the circle. “I didn’t want to get hit,” he said. “I’ve been hit standing over there. He said I don’t care and you need to be on top of the mat. So OK, I pulled the mat where I was and he threw me out.”

Davis also tossed then-Rangers manager Jeff Banister when the skipper came out to protest the Beltre ejection. “”Don’t know why it needed to be engaged, don’t understand it,” Banister said after the game. “This is a man that’s chasing history, opportunity to get another at-bat in front of out fans.”

The Marlins finished what they started, beating the Rangers 22-10. Four days later, Beltre got the big knock when he rifled a double off the left field wall against Baltimore’s Wade Miley. This April his eighth-inning double against the Mariners made Beltre the all-time leader in extra base hits among third basemen. Two months later, he became the Show’s all-time hit king among foreign-born players when he passed Ichiro Suzuki for number 3090.

And on the morning of 20 November, he announced his retirement. Which was a done deal by season’s end, probably, except for Beltre actually making up his mind and saying it.

“I have thought about it a lot,” he said in the statement he released 20 November, “and although I appreciate all the opportunities and everything baseball has given me, it’s time to call it a career.”

Everything baseball’s given him?

Baseball gave Beltre $219,140,000 in 21 years worth of career salary. He only gave baseball in return a fun-loving third baseman out-performed, according to wins above replacement-level player, by only three men. In ascending order, they're Wade Boggs, Eddie Mathews, and Mike Schmidt.

A third baseman who outperformed, in descending order, George Brett, Chipper Jones, Ron Santo, Brooks Robinson, and Scott Rolen, taking men who played third full time, played the position well or better, and didn’t become designated hitters for half or better of their careers. (We mean you, Paul Molitor.)

Beltre sent 477 balls over the fence in his career, nine more than Hall of Famer Chipper Jones. Only Schmidt (548) and Mathews (512) are ahead of him among third basemen. His home runs were ground-launched cruise missiles that brought down the house even in enemy ballparks. If you thought Mel Ott’s pitcher-like leg kick as he swung for the fences was unorthodox, Beltre’s knee-drop power swing—even more pronounced a drop than Roy Campanella’s—was about equally so.

And Beltre was a study on the bases, far faster than he looked (he tried rarely, but he does have a .742 lifetime stolen base percentage), often able to turn doubles into triples when he wasn’t hitting the balls far enough to take a triple standing up.

He was enough a slugger who could break games open between the balls of his thumb and index fingers that you almost forgot how good he really was at third base. He was neither elegant nor orthodox, whether an initially shy and skinny kid in Dodger silks or the horsy filled-out old man of the Rangers.

But he’s the number two all-time third baseman at turning double plays, third all-time among third basemen in assists, seventh in putouts, and only three times did he finish in his league’s top ten in errors, almost always trying to throw runners out on tough enough plays with an arm he had to harness the hard way. 

He got to a few more balls per nine innings than the average third baseman. In an era in which Gold Glove awards are too often given to players whose reputations out-speak their actual play, Beltre won ten Gold Gloves and probably earned nine of the ten. And if you still doubt him at third base, be advised that since defensive runs saved was introduced as a statistic in 2003, Beltre is the runaway leader with 222. No player at any position is close; Andrelton Simmons, the Angels shortstop, is in second place—with 184.

In his young years in Los Angeles Beltre’s raw talent was as apparent as his seeming inability to harness it properly. (Beltre thanked Tommy Lasorda, by then a Dodger executive, for faith in urging him to the Show so young.) Then, in 2004, it exploded. He led the National League with 48 home runs, he drove in 121, he had his only 200-hit season, and he finished second to Barry Bonds as the league’s Most Valuable Player. And the Dodgers let him walk as a free agent.

The Dodgers were embarrassed early when Beltre rose to the majors swiftly and very young. They thought they had a 20-year-old on their hands but Beltre was actually 19. When his agent Scott Boras suggested they should compensate Beltre for signing him younger than baseball’s permissible age (he was 15 when the Dodgers snapped him out of the Dominican Republic), the Dodgers denied the claim and Boras and Beltre went public. After an official investigation the Dodgers were barred from Dominican scouting for a year and then-commissioner Bud Selig awarded Beltre $48,500 in damages.

In his first free agency, Beltre signed with the Mariners and struggled trying to live up to his new deal, enough so that even those who admired him feared he might become one of the club’s all-time busts. He showed periodic glimpses of the full talent but not enough even allowing for an occasional injury struggle.

No wonder he signed for only one year with the Red Sox, for 2010. He spent the year tying David Ortiz for the club RBI leadership (102) and led the team with his .321 batting average while leading the Show with 49 doubles. And he inadvertently contributed to the Red Sox’s injury bug that season, Built like a semi, collisions between Beltre and outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida left him unscathed but them with cracked ribs.

After that season he signed with the Rangers. Giving them pretty much more than what they knew he was capable of giving them when he wasn’t missing time on the disabled list. He had a superb 2011 World Series for them that just wasn’t enough to help them ward off the impossibly relentless Cardinals. And he often waged war with barking hamstrings to keep playing and hitting.

He’s one of those players who proved to be like the proverbial fine wine—improving with age. He made four All-Star teams and probably should have made a few more. After he left Seattle, he never again struck out 100 times or more in a season.

Which is pretty damn great for a third baseman whose style of planting his feet before throwing gave managers and coaches nightmares until they realized he made it work. He had soft hands and a cannon for a throwing arm, and he developed the plant technique after making too many throwing errors early in his career, believing accurately enough that planting would cut the errors back drastically enough.

“There’s a lot of guys that did things unique to them that weren’t out of the Spalding Guide,” said Cubs manager Joe Maddon, who faced Beltre often enough when he managed the Rays or was the Angels’ bench coach. “They did things you wouldn’t teach, and if somebody else tried to do it, they would not be very good.”

He could have been talking about things like Ott, whom John McGraw so feared would be ruined by some minor league coach “correcting” that unorthodox swing that he wouldn’t let the minors get anywhere near the kid.

And, about things like Ty Cobb’s split-handed batting grip, Satchel Paige’s windmill, Stan Musial peeking around the corner like a burglar, Yogi Berra’s and Vladimir Guerrero’s bad-ball reaches, Hank Aaron’s early reverse grip, Juan Marichal’s multiple windups (he had about 20 of them), Jim Bunning’s double windup, Mike Schmidt’s swiveling hips planting at the plate, Mark Fidrych’s mound manicurings and pep talks to the balls he was about to throw, or Clayton Kershaw’s hesitation-step forward, too.

Maybe only Marichal and Fidrych among those men were as much fun to watch as Beltre was. Beltre was one of the most genuinely enthusiastic and playful of players on the field even if his dislike for having his head touched became a running gag among teammates doing everything in their power to violate it. (Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor once tried to douse him with a post-game Gatorade shower but Beltre dodged it and it nailed a different victim.)

He didn’t have to make like Ernie Banks and preach daily, “It’s a beautiful day, let’s play two.” The way he did everything else on the field and at the plate—he’s famous for his knee drop while hitting balls to the rear of the bleachers, as if he was dropping to the floor to play with his three children—said it for him.

The Rangers’ on deck circle mouse pads in the wake of that corker might prove nothing compared to whom, among the Hall of Famers he’ll join in five years, will win the bet over who gets to rub Beltre’s pate and get away with it.

! No longer available
-------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Farewell to excellent, fun-loving Adrian Beltre
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:22:39 pm »
@EasyAce

He looks like a first ballot shoo-in.

Hall of Fame Statistics

Black Ink
  Batting - 9 (267), Average HOFer ≈ 27
Gray Ink
  Batting - 98 (236), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor
  Batting - 163 (73), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
  Batting - 55 (65), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
  Third Base (4th):
    95.7 career WAR / 49.3 7yr-peak WAR / 72.5 JAWS
  Average HOF 3B (out of 14):
    68.4 career WAR / 43.0 7yr-peak WAR / 55.7 JAWS

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrad01.shtml

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:23 pm »
@EasyAce

He looks like a first ballot shoo-in.

Hall of Fame Statistics

Black Ink
  Batting - 9 (267), Average HOFer ≈ 27
Gray Ink
  Batting - 98 (236), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor
  Batting - 163 (73), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
  Batting - 55 (65), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
  Third Base (4th):
    95.7 career WAR / 49.3 7yr-peak WAR / 72.5 JAWS
  Average HOF 3B (out of 14):
    68.4 career WAR / 43.0 7yr-peak WAR / 55.7 JAWS

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrad01.shtml
@Machiavelli
My thinking exactly.

Powerful as he was, solid as he was with the glove, Beltre's one of those Hall of Famers who kind of snuck up on you in a way. When I saw him play with the Dodgers, I knew the raw talent was there but he was fighting injuries here and his own self there, especially trying to figure out how to harness that throwing arm. He had a howitzer arm but it was sometimes too powerful. Then he developed his plant technique as he got in front of balls and the errors cut back drastically enough. And even when he was thinner this guy could reach the rear end of the bleachers.

His least-appreciated ability---he was excellent at taking extra bases on followup hits. He didn't look it, but it's as I said in the essay: he was swift afoot and also smart on the bases.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
I would think so, a HOF lock, even if he was a Ranger, LOL.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:37:35 pm »
The only Ranger player worth a darn.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:38:24 pm »
I would think so, a HOF lock, even if he was a Ranger, LOL.
@GrouchoTex
I could be wrong, but I think the only other newcomer who'll join Beltre on the 2023 Hall of Fame ballot will be Joe Mauer. And injuries kept Mauer from solidifying a Hall of Fame case, after all, unfortunately.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
Nice to see a player leave the game while on top.   Beltre could have played another year or two,  chasing 500 homers, but it seems he has decided to leave when it feels right for him.   If I'm not mistaken, he rejected the opportunity for one last playoff shot last year, and now I can see why - he wanted to retire as a Ranger.   

It would have been nice to see him retire with a Rangers World Series ring,  but that opportunity was lost a couple of years ago with their epic collapse.  Still, a first ballot HOFer, to be sure. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:08:05 pm »
Nice to see a player leave the game while on top.   Beltre could have played another year or two,  chasing 500 homers, but it seems he has decided to leave when it feels right for him.   If I'm not mistaken, he rejected the opportunity for one last playoff shot last year, and now I can see why - he wanted to retire as a Ranger.   
He probably also got tired of the barking hamstrings; they put him on the DL twice in 2018, and they were almost a career-long issue for him.

It would have been nice to see him retire with a Rangers World Series ring,  but that opportunity was lost a couple of years ago with their epic collapse.  Still, a first ballot HOFer, to be sure.
He had a good 2011 World Series (including three bombs in Game Four, I think) but it wasn't enough to stop those pesky Cardinals that time.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 09:13:32 pm »
@GrouchoTex
I could be wrong, but I think the only other newcomer who'll join Beltre on the 2023 Hall of Fame ballot will be Joe Mauer. And injuries kept Mauer from solidifying a Hall of Fame case, after all, unfortunately.

@EasyAce

Mauer's longevity may work against him, but he may still make it.
I sure liked his chances, while healthy.
Jeff Bagwell was thought to have come up just shy, for a few of those same types of reasons, but he is in the HOF now.
There's always hope.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 01:24:39 am »
@EasyAce

Mauer's longevity may work against him, but he may still make it.
I sure liked his chances, while healthy.
Jeff Bagwell was thought to have come up just shy, for a few of those same types of reasons, but he is in the HOF now.
There's always hope.
@GrouchoTex
Had Mauer been able to remain a catcher, his Hall case probably would have solidified beyond a reasonable doubt. But once moved to first base, even allowing the injuries, Mauer wasn't a Hall of Famer on the best days of his life at that position. This isn't anywhere near Mauer's fault, of course, and it's a shame that his physical health obstructed him the way it did. So where do you find Mauer's Hall of Fame case? You have to look a little deeper than the surface to see it; this is what I meant when I said his health kept him from solidifying it.

His Hall of Fame case begins where he ranks according to the wins above replacement level player as a catcher: seventh all-time. But this is only somewhat misleading, because the number actually includes his WAR as a first baseman, and as a full-time first baseman he didn't average nearly as many WAR as he did as a catcher, but it ranks him as a catcher first. And most of his WAR comes from a) finishing in the WAR top ten in four seasons, all when he was full-time behind the plate (he never led his league in WAR), and b) his gaudy batting averages when he was a full-time catcher, especially his MVP season.

Now, marry that to his run productivity---Mauer produced an average 169 runs per 162 games lifetime, which is pretty damn good for a player at such a demanding field spot. (He's four ahead of Ivan Rodriguez, dead even with Carlton Fisk, and 11 ahead of Gary Carter, whose later seasons were also marred by injuries though not after he was able to give the Mets his last three well-above-average seasons.) On teams better able to set his tables Mauer might have driven in more runs; on teams better able to follow him in the lineup he might have scored more runs. But if you marry his WAR to his run productivity, Mauer looks slightly better than his counting stats and a few of his deeper stats, too.

That's his hope of making the Hall of Fame. Whether a first- or later-ballot Hall of Famer is hard to guess (I'd guess not quite a first ballot Hall of Famer even if there may only be Adrian Beltre joining him as a newbie on that ballot), but a deeper look at Mauer shows you a Hall of Famer.

Comparing Mauer to Jeff Bagwell, though, is a little on the silly side. Bagwell's health didn't begin to impact him severely---or, as the case may be, he didn't surrender to his health (he was always having shoulder trouble due to his insane workout routine; early in his career he fell so much in love with power lifting to stay in shape, as opposed to what he called merely "lifting for baseball" that his shoulders were never entirely healthy)---until his fifteenth and final season. And Bagwell hit most of his Astros career in a park that usually killed hitters; they moved to Minute Maid Park for the 2000 season. Until then, Bagwell was better on the road at the plate than in the Astrodome. (If he'd gotten to play his entire career with Minute Maid as his home park, Bagwell probably would have crossed the 500-homer threshold.) But more to the point, Bagwell played through his shoulder issues (perhaps insanely) and from 1996 through 2004 had only two seasons in which he played 156 games or fewer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:31:45 am by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 02:49:56 am »
@EasyAce I agree with everything that you had said about Mauer.
The only exception I have is that your comment that the comparison to Bagwell was a bit silly.

Not being a first ballot consideration, maybe for the same reason that would hold back Mauer.
The lack of longevity due to injury, in that I find a parallel for both men.

It was injury that kept Bagwell out of the 500 club, which has been an automatic trip to Cooperstown to all not named Bonds.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:46:48 am »
@EasyAce I agree with everything that you had said about Mauer.
The only exception I have is that your comment that the comparison to Bagwell was a bit silly.

Not being a first ballot consideration, maybe for the same reason that would hold back Mauer.
The lack of longevity due to injury, in that I find a parallel for both men.

It was injury that kept Bagwell out of the 500 club, which has been an automatic trip to Cooperstown to all not named Bonds.
Bagwell wasn't held back because of his longevity, he was held back because of suspicions---entirely unfounded, as it happens---that he used actual or alleged PEDs. There were a lot of voting writers who thought he had used, without a shred of evidence to back it up, and that's what kept him out of Cooperstown as long as it did before he was finally elected. Absent that, his lack of 500 home runs wouldn't have kept him out of the Hall of Fame; he was considered the best first baseman in the game during the bulk of his career and his overall stats would have guaranteed first- or second-ballot election had it not been for the unfounded PED suspicions, instead of on his seventh try.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 01:40:51 pm »
Bagwell wasn't held back because of his longevity, he was held back because of suspicions---entirely unfounded, as it happens---that he used actual or alleged PEDs. There were a lot of voting writers who thought he had used, without a shred of evidence to back it up, and that's what kept him out of Cooperstown as long as it did before he was finally elected. Absent that, his lack of 500 home runs wouldn't have kept him out of the Hall of Fame; he was considered the best first baseman in the game during the bulk of his career and his overall stats would have guaranteed first- or second-ballot election had it not been for the unfounded PED suspicions, instead of on his seventh try.

@EasyAce

Yeah, one writer said he would never vote for anyone who played in that era.
Sad, that he painted the whole era with such a broad brush.
I will still stubbornly contend that he would have been a 1st ballot inductee with the magical number of 500 home runs, and his health kept him from reaching that number.

After all, I am from Texas.
You can always tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much.

:cool:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
For marginal Hall candidates like Joe Mauer,  I tend to give extra points to those, like Mauer,  who spent their entire careers with one team.   That's one aspect of "fame",  that rather amorphous concept that is at the heart of this lifetime achievement award.    The Twins, in fact, provide an example of that in Kirby Puckett, who would likely have not made the Hall had he bounced around from team to team.   But as an eternal Twin, his numbers stand out because they were all generated for one set of adoring fans.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:46:56 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 01:57:07 pm »
For marginal Hall candidates like Joe Mauer,  I tend to give extra points to those, like Mauer,  who spent their entire careers with one team.   That's one aspect of "fame",  that rather amorphous concept that is at the heart of this lifetime achievement award.    The Twins, in fact, provide an example of that in Kirby Puckett, who would likely have not made the Hall had he bounced around from team to team.   But as an eternal Twin, his numbers stand out because they were all generated for one set of adoring fans.

@Jazzhead
Interesting analysis.
I like it.
The case for both Mauer and Pickett could be made that both elevated the teams they played for, which may not have been the case on a team considered more of a powerhouse during their careers.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:11 pm »
@Jazzhead
Interesting analysis.
I like it.
The case for both Mauer and Pickett could be made that both elevated the teams they played for, which may not have been the case on a team considered more of a powerhouse during their careers.

Both were the "face" of the Twins for their entire careers,  through their play, their personalities and their leadership. 

One could make a similar case for Chase Utley,  although he didn't spend his entire career with the Phillies.     
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:26:40 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 03:48:49 pm »
He played one season for the Red Sox. I can only think of a few players I enjoyed more than him. Great career.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
@EasyAce

Yeah, one writer said he would never vote for anyone who played in that era.
Sad, that he painted the whole era with such a broad brush.
That writer was Ken Gurnick, and he was talking about why he refused to vote for---wait for it!---Greg Maddux. Yet, hypocritically somewhat, Gurnick voted for Jack Morris---whose career's final seven seasons careened into the era commonly thought to have been the era of actual or alleged PEDs.

I will still stubbornly contend that he would have been a 1st ballot inductee with the magical number of 500 home runs, and his health kept him from reaching that number.
Without the innuendo, Bagwell would probably have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer with or without the 500 home runs. He retired with 449 homers after a season in which he could only play 39 games (and could barely throw at first base) and hit three out in those 39. Had his shoulder not given out for keeps at last---he required surgery that May and didn't return until September, when he was only able to serve as a pinch hitter; he was a DH and pinch hitter in the postseason---he might still have needed one more season past that to reach 500 and even that might have been a bit of a stretch. The lack of 500 home runs wasn't really going to hurt his Hall of Fame chances any more than it's going to hurt Adrian Beltre's chances.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 04:51:56 pm »
That writer was Ken Gurnick, and he was talking about why he refused to vote for---wait for it!---Greg Maddux. Yet, hypocritically somewhat, Gurnick voted for Jack Morris---whose career's final seven seasons careened into the era commonly thought to have been the era of actual or alleged PEDs.
Without the innuendo, Bagwell would probably have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer with or without the 500 home runs. He retired with 449 homers after a season in which he could only play 39 games (and could barely throw at first base) and hit three out in those 39. Had his shoulder not given out for keeps at last---he required surgery that May and didn't return until September, when he was only able to serve as a pinch hitter; he was a DH and pinch hitter in the postseason---he might still have needed one more season past that to reach 500 and even that might have been a bit of a stretch. The lack of 500 home runs wasn't really going to hurt his Hall of Fame chances any more than it's going to hurt Adrian Beltre's chances.

@ EasyAce

One of Bagwell's best years was the strike-shortened season of 1994.
I took my 10 year old son to the Astros game, August 10th, the last game of that year.
I was my son's birthday.
I called the Astrodome ahead of time, and had his name put on the scoreboard for the occasion.
When he saw it, he looked at me and said "How did they know?"
I just shrugged my shoulders.
The next thing I know, my son shrinks down in his seat, and is slowly glancing around, with look of panic on his face.
I had to tell him the truth, LOL.

For his 30th birthday in 2014, he had all his friends and family attend the game at Minute Maid.
We had about 30 of us there.
Of course, the story was repeated a few times that night, to those who weren't there 20 years prior.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:58:24 pm »
@ EasyAce

One of Bagwell's best years was the strike-shortened season of 1994.
I took my 10 year old son to the Astros game, August 10th, the last game of that year.
I was my son's birthday.
I called the Astrodome ahead of time, and had his name put on the scoreboard for the occasion.
When he saw it, he looked at me and said "How did they know?"
I just shrugged my shoulders.
The next thing I know, my son shrinks down in his seat, and is slowly glancing around, with look of panic on his face.
I had to tell him the truth, LOL.

For his 30th birthday in 2014, he had all his friends and family attend the game at Minute Maid.
We had about 30 of us there.
Of course, the story was repeated a few times that night, to those who weren't there 20 years prior.
That's a great story!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
Thank you Adrian for all of the years of hustle fun and great baseball you gave us long time Rangers fans.

Theres been three greater men than you to occupy the hot corner...but none with the cannon disguised as a right arm that you possessed.

See you in Cooperstown.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!