Author Topic: Texas pipelines draw attention, expansion plans in oil boom  (Read 1409 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas pipelines draw attention, expansion plans in oil boom
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:16:40 am »
The News & Observer By JORDAN BLUM 11/18/2018

Pipelines have traditionally operated as the dull middle man of the energy sector, a business so boring that the hard-charging Enron dumped its pipeline holdings to chase sexier businesses during its rapid, but short-lived rise.

The Houston Chronicle reports today, however, the once sleepy industry is where the action is, attracting billions of dollars in investment, launching new companies and spurring a wave of mergers, acquisitions and sales.

Nowhere is the action more intense than in Texas, where companies of all sizes, public and private, are planning to spend more than $40 billion to build or expand almost 10,000 miles of pipelines — long enough to stretch from West Texas to China — to connect booming oil production in the Permian Basin primarily to refining and export markets along the Gulf Coast.

The players buying and building pipelines include the world's largest energy companies, such as Exxon Mobil of Irving, major Houston pipeline companies like Kinder Morgan and Plains All American, refiners such as Phillips 66 of Houston, and a growing list of startups backed by private equity investors. Over the past few years, analysts count dozens of new pipeline companies entering the market and more than 20 multibillion-dollar projects potentially getting underway.

"They seem to be announcing new pipelines every day," said Sandy Fielden, director of oil and products research at Morningstar, the Chicago investment research firm.

Texas is at the center of the action, aided by its friendly regulatory climate as well as its vast energy resources. Texas accounts for about 40 percent of the nation's record oil production — which the Energy Department estimates at 11.6 million barrels a day — with most of it coming from the Permian. Along with oil, energy companies also are producing record volumes of natural gas and natural gas liquids, such as ethane, propane and butane, which feed the petrochemical industry that's also expanding rapidly along the Gulf Coast.

But the rapidly rising production has outpaced pipeline capacity, leading many companies to leave oil in the ground and burn off natural gas in a practice known as flaring until new pipelines can carry their energy products to market.

"We're feverishly trying to address the needs of the Permian Basin," said Jeff Welch, president of NAmerico Energy, a pipeline startup based in The Woodlands. "These pipeline projects can't come soon enough."

More: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article221665175.html

Offline thackney

Re: Texas pipelines draw attention, expansion plans in oil boom
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »
Enron dumped its pipeline holdings to chase sexier businesses during its rapid, but short-lived rise

When the article starts with false claims, I find it hard to bother reading on.

I was a lead engineer on many Enron pipeline projects, right up until the end.  I was in their office the day the stock dropped below $1.  I was working pipeline jobs for them when the announced bankruptcy and vendors called trucks delivering valves and told them to turn around.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:44:38 pm »

I was a lead engineer on many Enron pipeline projects, right up until the end.  I was in their office the day the stock dropped below $1.  I was working pipeline jobs for them when the announced bankruptcy and vendors called trucks delivering valves and told them to turn around.

I had a box of compressor pressure packing rings we had made, ready to send to them, when all hell broke loose.
They were for a pipeline compressor, but I can't remember where the parts were going now, somewhere in the Midwest (Illinois?, Indiana?, I don't recall now).
They ended up buying them, paying C.O.D. for them.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »

While Enron certainly did not 'dump' pipeline projects, it did direct a lot more of its attention away from them onto other ventures.

I recall recruiting at UT in the 90s and Enron was trying to hire all the MBAs from the Business School during their days of trying to make money from soft assets like energy futures rather than hard assets like drilling.  In fact, Enron spun off its upstream business to a separate company, a very successful one in EOG.

The part of article that turned me off was the cowtowing to environmental factions without any similar attention to rebut.  Disgusting.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:18:48 pm »
Phillips 66, Bridger plan for new pipeline to Texas

https://www.theolympian.com/news/business/article221583565.html

November 13, 2018 05:17 AM

Updated November 13, 2018 05:18 AM
BISMARCK, N.D.

Phillips 66 and Bridger Pipeline say they have preliminary plans for a new pipeline to send Bakken crude oil to Texas.

The companies say the Liberty Pipeline would transport 350,000 barrels of oil per day from the Bakken and Rockies production areas to Corpus Christi, Texas.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:08:29 am »
Phillips 66, Bridger plan for new pipeline to Texas

https://www.theolympian.com/news/business/article221583565.html

November 13, 2018 05:17 AM

Updated November 13, 2018 05:18 AM
BISMARCK, N.D.

Phillips 66 and Bridger Pipeline say they have preliminary plans for a new pipeline to send Bakken crude oil to Texas.

The companies say the Liberty Pipeline would transport 350,000 barrels of oil per day from the Bakken and Rockies production areas to Corpus Christi, Texas.
That would leave 250,000 to 350,000 BOPD moving out on trains (what wasn't used by local refiners).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:06:03 pm »
That would leave 250,000 to 350,000 BOPD moving out on trains (what wasn't used by local refiners).

That is not the only pipeline being added.

Permian Basin: These Oil And Gas Pipeline Projects Will Narrow The Oil And Gas Discounts In 2020
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4186260-permian-basin-oil-gas-pipeline-projects-will-narrow-oil-gas-discounts-2020?page=2
Jul. 11, 2018

...Permian production is projected to reach almost 5 MMbp/d by the end of 2020, according to Chevron (NYSE:CVX) and IHS Markit.

But fortunately, pipeline help is coming and the new pipelines will raise capacity to about 5.5 MMbp/d by the end of 2020, which is expected to narrow the existing double-digit oil spread.

Specifically, the most significant, oil pipeline projects that will add about 2.4 MMbp/d of capacity and will become fully operational in the next 18 months are:

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
I had a box of compressor pressure packing rings we had made, ready to send to them, when all hell broke loose.
They were for a pipeline compressor, but I can't remember where the parts were going now, somewhere in the Midwest (Illinois?, Indiana?, I don't recall now).
They ended up buying them, paying C.O.D. for them.

Many of our vendors for the ongoing projects changed the terms for pre-paid cash only.  That included very expensive 36" 600# class actuated ball valves.

Enron had the habit of screwing pipeline contractors and vendors year after year.  Net 30 was routinely paid 90 days out and often 80~90% of the invoice.

I remember one project manager saying if they don't put the contractor out of business by the end of the job, they left money on the table. 

I did a lot of projects for them.  They controlled too many of the large Natural Gas pipeline market to completely avoid them if you were working that industry.