Poll

Should we leave the U.N?

Author Topic: Should the United States withdraw from the U.N and refuse to be controlled by its mandates?  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Nah. Someone needs to pay for this circus act and that's a bigger contribution to this than anything.

It's possible that the U.N would just fall apart without our support. Nobody would dare screw with us, and like you've suggested being in the U.N or not hasn't really impacted the issues mentioned.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Dredge away and then cite to me how us involved with the UN lessened the casualties and mayhem of those events.

Nah. Someone needs to pay for this circus act and that's a bigger contribution to this than anything. Any moron can run around with a gun and shoot shit. It takes skill to earn six figures in taxable income.

Whatever.  Since I never said the UN would be helpful, you’re asking the wrong person. 

Oceander

It's possible that the U.N would just fall apart without our support. Nobody would dare screw with us, and like you've suggested being in the U.N or not hasn't really impacted the issues mentioned.

Other countries routinely “screw us” and you seem a mite bloodthirsty to be the same tyke who was worried several weeks ago that keeping US warships in the South China Sea would upset the Chinese and lead necessarily to nuclear war.

Offline Dexter

Other countries routinely “screw us” and you seem a mite bloodthirsty to be the same tyke who was worried several weeks ago that keeping US warships in the South China Sea would upset the Chinese and lead necessarily to nuclear war.

I think we'd very likely get screwed less after the world saw us give the finger to the United Nations and its mandates. I'm not bloodthirsty. I just know they're not stupid and I have no problem calling a bluff. We have the biggest sack in town and nobody can do anything about it, not yet anyway. That might change in a few decades after we've allowed China and Europe to outpace us with technology even though we have the ability to prevent that from happening.

No more giving away money to every country on Earth and then allowing them to control us. America first.

:patriot:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:41:13 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

I think we'd very likely get screwed less after the world saw us give the finger to the United Nations and its mandates. I'm not bloodthirsty. I just know they're not stupid and I have no problem calling a bluff. We have the biggest sack in town and nobody can do anything about it, not yet anyway. That might change in a few decades after we've allowed China and Europe to outpace us with technology even though we have the ability to prevent that from happening.

No more giving away money to every country on Earth and then allowing them to control us. America first.

You’re entitled to believe whatever you want to believe.  Such is life. 

Offline the_doc

@Oceander
@Dexter

Membership in the UN doesn't give them any control over us.  We can ignore their mandates.  We could pare down our dues to our reasonable pro rata share and stay in the UN just to veto stupid actions by the Security Council and also to keep our message out to the world about doing always and only what's right.  In this way, staying in gives us a modicum of control over the UN.

In short, there is no compelling need to leave the UN, and there are couple of very good reasons to stay in.

Offline Dexter

In short, there is no compelling need to leave the UN

I kinda like the message it sends to the globalists.

Something like, "Bite me."

It would be a very significant thing if the United States left the United Nations.

Also we might not get forced to do anything, but our membership does create pressure on America to spend its assets on helping other countries.
-Socrates

Online berdie

@Oceander
@Dexter
Membership in the UN doesn't give them any control over us.  We can ignore their mandates.  We could pare down our dues to our reasonable pro rata share and stay in the UN just to veto stupid actions by the Security Council and also to keep our message out to the world about doing always and only what's right.  In this way, staying in gives us a modicum of control over the UN.

In short, there is no compelling need to leave the UN, and there are couple of very good reasons to stay in.

@the_doc That is an equitable arrangement I could back. happy77

Oceander

@Oceander
@Dexter

Bingo!

Offline libertybele

Absolutely positively yes!! They should not control us.  Though we've agreed to some of their mandates, at times those mandates are not in the best interest of this country.  The UN has flexed its muscle more than need be and we give a boat load of money.  Time to close our wallets AND our borders.  They have no right in mandating that we have to take in refugees.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:43:46 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.