Poll

Should we leave the U.N?

Author Topic: Should the United States withdraw from the U.N and refuse to be controlled by its mandates?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
I'd be fine with our departure from the U.N. I am tired of the expectation that America gives and gives and gives.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline berdie

My answer is a very loud YES!!!

Offline goodwithagun

Yeah, like yesterday.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

The U.S. is one of the few members that possesses a veto over important actions by the U.N.  Leaving the U.N. would mean abandoning that veto, which might not be in the best interests of the U.S.

Offline Applewood

The U.S. is one of the few members that possesses a veto over important actions by the U.N.  Leaving the U.N. would mean abandoning that veto, which might not be in the best interests of the U.S.

Maybe that's a good thing, but right now I don't see a whole lot of advantage to the US by staying in.  What other benefits to the US do we have in membership?  Probably early on when the US was a super power, we could do and get a lot more.  But the US' position in the world has steadily eroded over the years -- particularly during the 8 years of Obama -- and I don't see America regaining world power status under Trump.  Most of the UN members are hostile to the United States.  Obama let the UN members walk over us and rule over us.  Trump can try his tough guy approach, but the other nations will just ignore him. 

I say, we leave.  Will save us a lot of money and a lot more grief.  And the UN can move its headquarters to some friendly third world country like Nigeria.

Oceander

Maybe that's a good thing, but right now I don't see a whole lot of advantage to the US by staying in.  What other benefits to the US do we have in membership?  Probably early on when the US was a super power, we could do and get a lot more.  But the US' position in the world has steadily eroded over the years -- particularly during the 8 years of Obama -- and I don't see America regaining world power status under Trump.  Most of the UN members are hostile to the United States.  Obama let the UN members walk over us and rule over us.  Trump can try his tough guy approach, but the other nations will just ignore him. 

I say, we leave.  Will save us a lot of money and a lot more grief.  And the UN can move its headquarters to some friendly third world country like Nigeria.

So, not being able to veto a security council resolution recommending the arrest, detention, and “trial” of senior American leaders for alleged “war crimes” is not worth the while?

Don’t get me wrong; I’m no fanboi of the UN, but when you were part of the original group that asked the devil to pick up his fiddle, walking out by yourself because you don’t like the tunes he’s picked can be lethal. 

Offline Dexter

a security council resolution recommending the arrest, detention, and “trial” of senior American leaders for alleged “war crimes” is not worth the while?

LOL! They can try.
-Socrates

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
OK, before I bite I want to know where the hook is....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Dexter

OK, before I bite I want to know where the hook is....

You think I'm tricking you? Mass immigration and attaching our nut sack and coin purse to the U.N is crazy. America doesn't need the U.N. It's the U.N that needs America. Let them deal with their own shit. Why should we have to take blows for them?
-Socrates

Offline thackney

So, not being able to veto a security council resolution recommending the arrest, detention, and “trial” of senior American leaders for alleged “war crimes” is not worth the while?

Don’t get me wrong; I’m no fanboi of the UN, but when you were part of the original group that asked the devil to pick up his fiddle, walking out by yourself because you don’t like the tunes he’s picked can be lethal.

You make a good point.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline goodwithagun

The issue might be moot, since the UN probably couldn’t survive without the US.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline the_doc

I agree.  However, we should ignore the mandates that the UN is trying to force on us.

Offline Dexter

we should ignore the mandates that the UN is trying to force on us.

What would they do? Stop taking our funding? Stop accepting our protection? They have nothing.
-Socrates

Offline dfwgator

If only there was an option for "Hell Yes".

Offline dfwgator

How many divisions does the UN have?

Oceander

LOL! They can try.

Why do you think the US withdrew from the international criminal court?  For precisely that concern (membership conferred jurisdiction over your nationals).

Putting embassy staff at even greater risk because the US no longer has a veto over the UN Security Council would be a really dumb move.

Oceander

How many divisions does the UN have?

All member states, and arresting US embassy staff doesn’t generally require divisions; a few thuggish cops will do. 

Offline Dexter

Why do you think the US withdrew from the international criminal court?  For precisely that concern (membership conferred jurisdiction over your nationals).

Putting embassy staff at even greater risk because the US no longer has a veto over the UN Security Council would be a really dumb move.

If our embassy staff became at risk due to our departure from the U.N then maybe we'd just have to bring them home. They can talk to us online if they need to. The idea that we'll somehow be endangered by leaving the U.N is preposterous. Nobody can touch us; let them try.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:00:44 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

If our embassy staff became at risk due to our departure from the U.N then maybe we'd just have to bring them home. They can talk to us online if they need to. The idea that we'll somehow be endangered by leaving the U.N is preposterous. Nobody can touch us; let them try.

Uh, yeah.   Remember what you said about not having an opinion about AGW because you hadn’t studied climate science?  You should apply the same rule to foreign affairs, because you clearly know nothing.

Or perhaps you should talk to some of the US diplomats who got to spend some involuntary “vacation” time in Tehran back in 1979.  Or to be survivors of the soldiers who lost their lives on the ill-fated attempted rescue mission. 

Offline Frank Cannon

Or perhaps you should talk to some of the US diplomats who got to spend some involuntary “vacation” time in Tehran back in 1979.  Or to be survivors of the soldiers who lost their lives on the ill-fated attempted rescue mission.

Maybe you can enlighten me on how the US helped up with the Ayatollah Assahola? If memory serves right, they didn't do dick.

Oceander

Maybe you can enlighten me on how the US helped up with the Ayatollah Assahola? If memory serves right, they didn't do dick.

Do you mean the UN?

Assuming you did (with all of the attendant dangers), I never said the UN was helpful in the least.  I brlight up Tehran in 1979 because it clearly demonstrates that just being the US is not enough to prevent other countries from seizing US personnel, contrary to Dexter’s assertion that this was sufficient and “let them try.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Do you mean the UN?

Assuming you did (with all of the attendant dangers), I never said the UN was helpful in the least.  I brlight up Tehran in 1979 because it clearly demonstrates that just being the US is not enough to prevent other countries from seizing US personnel, contrary to Dexter’s assertion that this was sufficient and “let them try.”

Being America is enough in most circumstances. If memory serves, there was an ineffectual slug as President at that time. Weakness invites trouble. 

Oceander

Being America is enough in most circumstances. If memory serves, there was an ineffectual slug as President at that time. Weakness invites trouble. 

I don’t think I need to dredge up the litany of attacks under less weak presidents.  It suffices that US embassy personnel are at risk, and thus a UN Security Council resolution that authorized the seizure of Americans abroad, which the US could not veto if it left the UN, would leave them in significantly more jeopardy. 

Perhaps you should try serving as a rank-and-file FSO before spouting off. 

Offline Dexter

I don’t think I need to dredge up the litany of attacks under less weak presidents.  It suffices that US embassy personnel are at risk, and thus a UN Security Council resolution that authorized the seizure of Americans abroad, which the US could not veto if it left the UN, would leave them in significantly more jeopardy. 

I really doubt the U.N would have the balls to start seizing Americans against the wishes of the United States government. If we shook off the shackles and let the world know we're done bleep around I don't think anybody would stand in our way.
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

I don’t think I need to dredge up the litany of attacks under less weak presidents.

Dredge away and then cite to me how us involved with the UN lessened the casualties and mayhem of those events.

Nah. Someone needs to pay for this circus act and that's a bigger contribution to this than anything. Any moron can run around with a gun and shoot shit. It takes skill to earn six figures in taxable income.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:21:56 pm by Frank Cannon »