Author Topic: NRA, Second Amendment Foundation suing WA over I-1639  (Read 1196 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NRA, Second Amendment Foundation suing WA over I-1639
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:30:29 pm »
KIRO Radio By Nicole Jennings 11/16/2018

On the same day that the National Rifle Association and Second Amendment Foundation announced they would be challenging Washington state gun measure I-1639 in a federal court, U.S. Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North, NRA president and former host of Fox News’ “War Stories with Oliver North,” told KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson that he finds the measure not only unconstitutional, but also incredibly confusing.

“I don’t understand how, one, they plan they’re planning to enforce it, and number two, how they’re defining what an assault weapon is,” said North, stating that he had read the full 30-page text of the initiative. “It’s nuts to me — I just quite frankly don’t understand it.”

In a press release, SAF Vice President Alan Gottlieb stated on Thursday that the initiative, which voters passed in last week’s election, “is an affront to the constitutional rights enshrined in the Second Amendment and the Washington state constitution.”

I-1639 will enact some of the strongest gun control measures in the country, including raising the age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle from 18 to 21; establishing background checks, mandatory training, and waiting periods before the purchase of semi-automatic rifles; mandating that gun owners lock their firearms in a safe; and making it a felony if a gun owner’s firearm that is not properly locked away is stolen and used in the commission of a crime.

More: http://mynorthwest.com/1186859/nra-second-amendment-foundation-suing-wa-over-i-1639/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: NRA, Second Amendment Foundation suing WA over I-1639
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:49:24 pm »
Spokane residents join NRA's lawsuit against I-1639

http://www.khq.com/story/39496843/spokane-residents-join-nras-lawsuit-against-i-1639

---On Wednesday a lawsuit was filed against the State of Washington by the National Rifle Association. The NRA is claiming in the lawsuit that I-1639 violate the second and fourteen amendments of the United States Constitution.

The four young adult plaintiffs mentioned in the lawsuit claim that I-1639 will prevent them from buying a semi-automatic rifle before they turn 21-years-old.One of the four is Spokane local 19-year-old Nathaniel Casey who is a member of the U.S. Army reserves and already has been trained with fully automatic weapons. The suit claims that the training that Casey has already received "Exceeds anything beyond I-1639."---

---But Republic, Washington police chief Loren Culp says he's instructing Republic police officers not to enforce I-1639 when it becomes law on January 1st, 2019 "I will not violate someone's constitutional rights because the majority of the people in the state think it's a good idea. I-1639 not only impairs but eliminates pretty much the constitutional rights for 18-21-year-olds."

Culp is calling Republic a second amendment sanctuary city and says he wants to stop the government from taking away gun rights. Culp also believes gun control will not slow down crime "If we had more armed good people there would be less idiots out there trying to commit crimes with guns," added Culp.