Author Topic: Is this it for Melo?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline corbe

Is this it for Melo?
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:14 pm »
Is this it for Melo?

‘You’re not going to get better in two weeks, you’re going to get older in two weeks. It’s a young guy’s league.’

By Marc J. Spears

HOUSTON – Two former Houston Rockets hung out near the locker rooms after their old team routed the Golden State Warriors 107-86 on Thursday night. One was Hall of Famer Tracy McGrady, the other was former defensive player of the year Marcus Camby. Both have differing opinion on the future of Carmelo Anthony, the 10-time All-Star with the street cred whose career is at a crossroads.

McGrady recently said on ESPN’s The Jump that Anthony should retire. But Camby begged to differ.

“He has a couple great years left,” Camby said. “I personally feel he got a bad rap on things. Coming here to Houston was a tough offense to play in when you’re not a spot-up 3-point shooter. I hope he continues to play.”

The Rockets bid farewell to Anthony on Thursday by announcing he would not be returning to the team. A source said the Rockets will likely waive the 10-time All-Star soon if his agent, Leon Rose, can’t locate a team that is interested in Anthony.

<..snip..>

https://theundefeated.com/features/is-this-it-for-carmelo-anthony-houston-rockets/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

Re: Is this it for Melo?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 02:53:46 pm »
Anthony certainly had superstar ability as far as scoring, but he just wasn't a player I liked much.  He came off to me as too selfish, a kind of  ball-stopping, "I got my points, who cares if we lost?" kind of player.
Like Stephon "Starbury" Marbury.  He also had the stats, but his teams did poorly. When he left the Nets for Phoenix, his replacement, Jason Kidd, turned the team around and took a mediocre team to the Finals in consecutive years.
Many teams, especially the Knicks, thought Anthony would lead them to the Promised Land. In seven years with the Knicks, Anthony only had one winning season and playoff run.
He should have stayed in Denver.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 04:33:58 pm »
@goatprairie   
Rockets have won 5 straight, losing last to the Spurs the night they 'waived' Carmelo.  Chris Paul lobbied heavily for melo but your right he is a no defense black hole when he gets the ball.  At least that mistake only cost the Rockets $2.4M (vet min), someone will pick him up off waivers thinking he's cheap (like we did).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:27:31 pm »
@goatprairie   
Rockets have won 5 straight, losing last to the Spurs the night they 'waived' Carmelo.  Chris Paul lobbied heavily for melo but your right he is a no defense black hole when he gets the ball.  At least that mistake only cost the Rockets $2.4M (vet min), someone will pick him up off waivers thinking he's cheap (like we did).
I haven't seen any Rockets games lately, but from what I heard Anthony didn't want to take a reserve role.  But that's the kind of role that would best fit him now...coming off the bench to supply instant firepower.
To give him his due at one time he was one of the top three one on one players in the league. He was also a huge ballstopper that made him a minus for teams that wanted to move the ball.
The Rockets already have Harden for tough baskets situations.  Anthony just didn't fit in.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:59:47 pm »
   I think Carmelo reluctantly accepted his 'off the bench' role initially but when he realized he lost his starting role to an unsigned rookie (Clark) that was a little too much for his fragile ego to take.  Rockets coach had some 'bad blood' with melo in NY and the Rockets Defensive Coordinator quit when melo was signed and those two also parted ways badly in Phoenix, we get him back too (Blezdick).

Two-Way Rookie Gary Clark Is Here To Stay With The Rockets

Like fellow rookie Vincent Edwards, Clark is on a two-way contract. What that means is that he can only spend 45 days with the Rockets but he can't be poached by another NBA team. His NBA salary is the rookie minimum salary pro-rated per day, for each day he is with the Rockets, which includes days he is on the active list for an NBA game, or days he engages in practice, drills, conditioning, workouts or travel with the Rockets.

Given how integral Clark has become to the Rockets, converting Clark's two-way contract to a a standard NBA contract is an expected inevitability once his 45 days expire. The question is upon what will the two sides agree? In a standard conversion, the player's salary would become the NBA minimum salary. But the two sides are also free to negotiate and sign a standard NBA contract.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2018/11/21/rockets-two-way-rookie-gary-clark-is-here-to-stay-with-the-team/#39cd33963ec4

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:01:33 pm »
I hope not.  I really like him