Author Topic: Introducing the Oil Industry's New Junk Product: Gasoline  (Read 1543 times)

Offline thackney

Introducing the Oil Industry's New Junk Product: Gasoline
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »
Introducing the Oil Industry's New Junk Product: Gasoline
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-14/introducing-the-oil-industry-s-new-junk-product-gasoline

Once the oil industry’s star product, gasoline is now losing oil refineries money in Europe and has plunged in value against diesel, its main competitor.

How did this happen? Here’s a run-through of what’s taken place in a more than $1 billion a day business and how the world’s oil refiners might respond.

The simple answer is that gasoline supply has massively outpaced demand. That’s illustrated in data from the U.S. — by far the world’s single largest gasoline consumer — which shows stocks at record seasonal highs since the start of September.

A second issue is the kind of crude oil the world is pumping. Where output is growing fastest, notably in the U.S., the extra barrels have tended to be lighter and therefore rich in gasoline. By contrast, the supply of diesel-yielding oil from the likes of Venezuela and Iran has been more constrained.

Gasoline’s value against diesel started collapsing around August and hasn’t stopped sliding since. In Asia, Europe and even the U.S. — which consumes over 9 million barrels of gasoline a day — diesel is now around an average of about $70 a ton more expensive....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Introducing the Oil Industry's New Junk Product: Gasoline
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:41:32 am »
"The simple answer is that gasoline supply has massively outpaced demand. That’s illustrated in data from the U.S. — by far the world’s single largest gasoline consumer — which shows stocks at record seasonal highs since the start of September."

If this is the case, why aren't prices falling at the pumps?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:43 am »
"The simple answer is that gasoline supply has massively outpaced demand. That’s illustrated in data from the U.S. — by far the world’s single largest gasoline consumer — which shows stocks at record seasonal highs since the start of September."

Just filled up 2 days ago at Samsclub for $2.14/gal.

It is the cheapest I have seen it in years.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:24 pm »

Two points, first prices are falling.  I saw $2.11 yesterday east of Houston.

But mostly this article was talking about worldwide demand not just the US.  In the US we use a much higher percentage of gasoline for our fuel.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:28:22 pm »
Just filled up 2 days ago at Samsclub for $2.14/gal.

It is the cheapest I have seen it in years.
Cheapest I have seen across six states is 2.77 9/10 in Utah.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »
Cheapest I have seen across six states is 2.77 9/10 in Utah.

Texas & Oklahoma are seeing some decently priced gasoline these days.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?_ga=2.196514090.763043237.1542285726-1467085174.1542285725

Even dropping below $2 in a few places:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Texas

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 06:41:10 pm »
Texas & Oklahoma are seeing some decently priced gasoline these days.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?_ga=2.196514090.763043237.1542285726-1467085174.1542285725

Even dropping below $2 in a few places:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Texas
It will be a while before that wave breaks this far north....https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4&lng=-92.88155956741299&lat=32.90064012362086 (this county is in the $2.87-$3.05 band, as are most of the places I was in the last 3000 miles. some are more expensive, only one less--Price, Utah, Walmart was 2.77 9/10 for 85 octane. I figured with an engine that normally ran at 2000 ft. Above Sea Level, the lower octane wouldn't hurt at 6K and higher. It didn't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
It will be a while before that wave breaks this far north....https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4&lng=-92.88155956741299&lat=32.90064012362086 (this county is in the $2.87-$3.05 band, as are most of the places I was in the last 3000 miles. some are more expensive, only one less--Price, Utah, Walmart was 2.77 9/10 for 85 octane. I figured with an engine that normally ran at 2000 ft. Above Sea Level, the lower octane wouldn't hurt at 6K and higher. It didn't.
Even the tax-evading reservation gas is still hovering above 2.70 here. It's been stuck in the 2.90s for years now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024