Author Topic: Trump tried to broker House leadership deal, promote loyalist Jim Jordan, report says  (Read 929 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump tried to broker House leadership deal, promote loyalist Jim Jordan, report says
Report: Trump butted into House leadership fight
Author: William Cummings, USA TODAY
Published: 7:36 AM EST November 14, 2018
Updated: 9:43 AM EST November 14, 2018

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump tried to broker a deal to settle House Republicans' leadership struggle that could result in one of his most loyal defenders becoming the ranking member on the Judiciary Committee, Politico reports.

With the support of his party's right flank, Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan – a co-founder of the conservative House Freedom Caucus – has campaigned to become Republicans' next leader in the House, challenging Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy. The California congressman's hopes to be the next speaker ended with Republicans' midterm losses, but McCarthy is favored to become the new minority leader after lawmakers vote Wednesday afternoon.

Trump reached out to McCarthy and encouraged him to strike a deal with Jordan, according to Politico. The specifics of the negotiations remain unclear, but the news site said lawmakers speculated that he would want Jordan to become the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, which is expected to open several investigations into the Trump administration when the Democrats take control.

"I think we’re entering a world we haven’t really seen," Jordan told reporters on Tuesday, listing the incoming Democratic chairmen who are poised to investigate Trump. "It’s going to take an attitude and an intensity about standing up for the truth and fighting."

"Jim Jordan will be the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee," former Trump campaign manager Cory Lewandowski told MSNBC’s "Hardball" host Chris Matthews on Tuesday.

more
https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/nation-now/trump-tried-to-broker-house-leadership-deal-promote-loyalist-jim-jordan-report-says/465-2b30bad1-9123-483e-a157-6e856f61ecd3
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I support him in this.

Offline bilo

I like Jordan and really wish he would be the minority leader. It's kind of hard though to take any of the Pubs seriously in the House or Senate. The House couldn't pass an immigration bill and the Senate couldn't pass a watered down semi-repeal of obamacare. The Pubs failed on two of the biggest issues in the 2016 campaign. Issues they promised to take care of. Now I'm seeing Pubs running ads about building a border wall. How typical of them, claim to want to do something and when the chance to do it is present don't do it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline skeeter

This reporting is hilarious. “Trump butted into”.

After all, what business is it of the de facto leader of the GOP which leader the congress chooses to implement GOP policies?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

After all, what business is it of the de facto leader of the GOP which leader the congress chooses to implement GOP policies?

@skeeter

Not much political bias in that header,is there?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Frank Cannon

I support him in this.

Of course you do you radical Trump sycophant.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Of course you do you radical Trump sycophant.

Yeah, that's me. 

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah, that's me.

It might do you some good to take a more moderate tone around here. Also cutting down on the foul language couldn't hurt either. Just saying.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It might do you some good to take a more moderate tone around here. Also cutting down on the foul language couldn't hurt either. Just saying.

*%$^)*)*!! you.

Offline goodwithagun

Welp, so much for Jordan.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Not much political bias in that header,is there?

It's astounding how unprofessional journalism has become recently.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Headline totally misleading.  Trump is supporting Jordan for House leadership.  So am I.  What's the big deal.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Slide Rule

After the rejection, Trump asked Jim if he was interested in being
a Supreme.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline dfwgator

Headline totally misleading.  Trump is supporting Jordan for House leadership.  So am I.  What's the big deal.

Looks like it didn't work.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Sure didn't.  His Tweets be a brew'in if he is a stew'in.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Not with this Congress.  Let's hope he's ousted next year.