Author Topic: Houston reports record snow; Pearland takes on thundersleet  (Read 6403 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Houston reports record snow; Pearland takes on thundersleet
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 01:50:51 am »
@roamer_1

I grew up in Chicago and had my fill of cold weather. Can't imagine going outside in bare feet and jammies unless it's eighty. LOL!

I dunno @austingirl , but that I think you get used to the environment you live in. Years and years of trapping and wading in icy water have left me pretty immune to cold. I don't like things on my feet when I don't need it, so I am pretty prone to be barefoot or in mocs year around.

That don't hold of course, when I have to stay outside. But around the house and yard, so long as it is plowed out, it doesn't matter how cold it is. Once it is below zero, I will likely have mocs on... But that is all.

And if you lived here, and went out in it, you'd be the same sort, I reckon.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 01:52:42 am »
I dunno @austingirl , but that I think you get used to the environment you live in. Years and years of trapping and wading in icy water have left me pretty immune to cold. I don't like things on my feet when I don't need it, so I am pretty prone to be barefoot or in mocs year around.

That don't hold of course, when I have to stay outside. But around the house and yard, so long as it is plowed out, it doesn't matter how cold it is. Once it is below zero, I will likely have mocs on... But that is all.

Yeah, if that were true I should feel right at home with 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, but the older I get the more I hate it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:19 am »
Yeah, if that were true I should feel right at home with 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, but the older I get the more I hate it.

That's an interesting thing - Because my kin down there, who come from hardy Southern stock, never go outside anymore. Their daddies were outside sun up to sundown, but the kids have to stay in the air conditioning.

I think it is more a matter of folks living in artificial conditions anymore, regardless of where they live.  :shrug:

I don't think it's good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:17 am »
That's an interesting thing - Because my kin down there, who come from hardy Southern stock, never go outside anymore. Their daddies were outside sun up to sundown, but the kids have to stay in the air conditioning.

I think it is more a matter of folks living in artificial conditions anymore, regardless of where they live.  :shrug:

I don't think it's good.

You know what's not good?  Being able to swim out the front door because it's so humid.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 02:12:03 am »
You know what's not good?  Being able to swim out the front door because it's so humid.

Yeah, but that goes to what I was saying... The reason you can't take the humidity is because you don't take the humidity. Makes you wonder, don't it, how all hoomanity survived without central air. Yet, but a generation ago... Jussayin.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 02:18:42 am »
Yeah, but that goes to what I was saying... The reason you can't take the humidity is because you don't take the humidity. Makes you wonder, don't it, how all hoomanity survived without central air. Yet, but a generation ago... Jussayin.

They must have been sad, miserable sons of bitches.  That's all I can figure out.  Life without a/c is not worth living.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 02:20:04 am »
They must have been sad, miserable sons of bitches.  That's all I can figure out.  Life without a/c is not worth living.

We say the same about gas forced air up north... But I guess I much prefer a wood fire.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 02:21:37 am »

@roamer_1, remember that these areas were sparsely settled until the advent of A/C.  It can be beyond miserable in the summertime.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 02:28:02 am »
@roamer_1, remember that these areas were sparsely settled until the advent of A/C.  It can be beyond miserable in the summertime.

That's right @Sanguine ... Like these Rockies can be damn inhospitable in the winter.
But folks who faced it adapted and thrived. That there were few is less a point than that there were any.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 02:30:33 am »

I grew up in Houston with no air conditioning for my early years and our area was in no way sparsely settled. School rooms were not air conditioned as well. And my grandparents home in Georgia was not air conditioned.

Beyond Miserable? Give me a break!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2018, 02:40:14 am »
I grew up in Houston with no air conditioning for my early years and our area was in no way sparsely settled. School rooms were not air conditioned as well. And my grandparents home in Georgia was not air conditioned.

I spent two weeks in Houston with no air conditioning, and I stand by my statement!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 02:41:17 am »
I spent two weeks in Houston with no air conditioning, and I stand by my statement!

You are soooo right.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:25 am »

It is of note to me that my family in KS and MO never go to the swimming hole anymore... It was a feature of every single day down there when I would visit in my youth.
Something has changed.

Silver Pines

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:04 am »

@RoosGirl

Preach it.  I’m not competing in some survivalist contest.  God gave us AC and my delicate butt stays right up in it during hot weather.  Screw summer, humidity, and bugs.

Silver Pines

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 02:56:33 am »

In other words, miserable.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2018, 03:44:13 pm »

@roamer_1
I agree that we adapt. I survived the cold in Chicago but I never liked it. In theses Texas summers, I do tend to stay indoors more than I should in the heat. My husband can work outside when it's a hundred degrees. He's a native Texan. I like it warm but not oppressive.

His mom grew up in Utopia, Texas in a house without heat or air conditioning. We have gotten a lot softer in just a generation.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »
@roamer_1
I agree that we adapt. I survived the cold in Chicago but I never liked it. In theses Texas summers, I do tend to stay indoors more than I should in the heat. My husband can work outside when it's a hundred degrees. He's a native Texan. I like it warm but not oppressive.

His mom grew up in Utopia, Texas in a house without heat or air conditioning. We have gotten a lot softer in just a generation.

Utopia is west and it's dry.  Where I am now, it's humid most of the time and still as hot.  Ugh.

We spent years with A/C only in the bedrooms in west Texas.  Not here.  I'd just keel over and die if I had to do that.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »

The first house I bought, in the Ellington AFB area, had an attic fan and window units.
We managed alright.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2018, 03:53:16 pm »
Utopia is west and it's dry.  Where I am now, it's humid most of the time and still as hot.  Ugh.

We spent years with A/C only in the bedrooms in west Texas.  Not here.  I'd just keel over and die if I had to do that.

@Sanguine
I have memories as a kid of lying in bed in Chicago when it was hot and humid at night, unable to sleep and sticking to the sheets. Then we got central AC when I was about ten. I don't think I would last long without AC here.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 03:54:42 pm »

Oddly enough, the older I get, the less it bothers me.
But, yes, I'd rather it be in the 70's with no humidity, that's for sure.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
@Sanguine
I have memories as a kid of lying in bed in Chicago when it was hot and humid at night, unable to sleep and sticking to the sheets. Then we got central AC when I was about ten. I don't think I would last long without AC here.

I bet it is humid there.  I've been in Boston when it's in the upper 80's and it felt pretty hot because it's right next to the harbor. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
The first house I bought, in the Ellington AFB area, had an attic fan and window units.
We managed alright.

I grew up in the Hobby area. We had the attic fan. No window AC's until my Grandfather moved in for his last days. We put an AC in his room and then later added an AC into the den. I was a teenager by then.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 06:19:50 pm »
When I was a kid we had neighbors that lived two houses over from us.  My house had central A/C, but theirs did not.  They had a window unit in their back room and that was it.  I was about 10 years old or so, the outside heat didn't bother me, we were outside almost all the time, but it was stifling in that house.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2018, 02:24:21 am »
https://www.dcclothesline.com/2018/11/15/november-snow-in-texas-experts-warn-decreased-solar-activity-will-shatter-all-global-climate-models/
November Snow In Texas? Experts Warn Decreased Solar Activity Will Shatter All Global Climate Models

Our sun has been behaving very strangely, and this unusual behavior is really starting to affect our weather patterns.  There have been virtually no sunspots in 2018 as solar activity has dropped to alarmingly low levels.  As a result, our atmosphere has been cooling and shrinking, and experts are warning that we are heading for a bitterly, bitterly cold winter.  And even though the official start of winter is well over a month away, winter weather is already sweeping the nation.  As you will see below, a giant winter storm is about to slam into the east coast, but what is happening in Texas is even more unnerving.  On Wednesday morning, the temperature in San Antonio plummeted to just 23 degrees, and that absolutely shattered the old record…

“This shatters the old record low of 28 degrees set back in 1916,” the National Weather Service tweeted of Wednesday’s weather. Tuesday night just before midnight, the city hit 28 degrees, breaking the previous record of 29 set in 1907, records show.

Typically, November temperatures are significantly warmer. The average high for the month is about 71 degrees and the normal low is 51 degrees. San Antonio’s average low this year has been comparable to other years, but its average high, a cool 66.6 degrees, has been lower than normal.

It isn’t supposed to snow in mid-November in Texas.

Louisiana got snow too.  On Twitter, one resident of West Monroe posted a photo of snow blanketing his vehicle on Wednesday morning, and it quickly went viral.

Something very usual is happening, but the mainstream media doesn’t want to talk about it because it doesn’t fit the narratives that they are pushing.

And all over the eastern half of the country, approximately 80 million people are about to be slammed by a perfect example of our new climate reality…

A winter storm that’s already responsible for 2 deaths will bring a messy mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain to portions of the central and eastern U.S. over the next two days. Power outages, travel headaches and school closings are all likely as the storm strengthens.

Over 80 million people live where some level of a winter storm alert is in effect, all the way from Arkansas to Maine over a distance of about 1,500 miles.

Yes, everyone knew that we were headed toward a solar minimum eventually, but solar activity was not supposed to drop off this much so soon.

This extremely unusual decline in solar activity is causing our atmosphere to rapidly cool down and shrink, and this is greatly alarming climate scientists such as Dr. Tony Philipps…

Scientists say Earth’s atmosphere is about to get hit by some record cold – but it’s not because of anything caused by humans. It’s because of a lack of sunspots which means a major decrease in ultraviolet waves coming in our direction.

Dr. Tony Philipps of SpaceWeatherArchive.com says there have been practically no sunspots in 2018, and that’s causing earth’s upper atmosphere to cool down and even shrink.

Another scientist that is sounding the alarm is Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center.  According to him, NASA’s Thermosphere Climate Index is now showing a reading that is “10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle”…

To help track the latest developments, Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center and his colleagues recently introduced the “Thermosphere Climate Index.”

The Thermosphere Climate Index (TCI) tells how much heat nitric oxide (NO) molecules are dumping into space. During Solar Maximum, TCI is high (meaning “Hot”); during Solar Minimum, it is low (meaning “Cold”).

“Right now, it is very low indeed … 10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle,” says Mlynczak.

10 times smaller?

That doesn’t sound good.

And according to Mlynczak, this decrease in solar activity could result in “a Space Age record for cold”…

“We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. “High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold.”

So I hope that you are ready for a very chilly winter.