Author Topic: Houston reports record snow; Pearland takes on thundersleet  (Read 6388 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Houston reports record snow; Pearland takes on thundersleet
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 05:14:58 am »
Agreed.   When it gets down to about 30 above freezing, it's time for a coat, or at least a couple of layers including some long sleeves.

Be strong Houston!

Yeah.... Socks with flops... You've got it rough!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 05:21:07 am »
Agreed.   When it gets down to about 30 above freezing, it's time for a coat, or at least a couple of layers including some long sleeves.

Be strong Houston!

I said debatable. Coats make driving a pain in the ass. I am usually still in a Carhart type jacket around then unless I have to work the tractor or something in the snow.

Offline DB

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:45 am »
Those who deal with truly cold weather will scoff, but it's in the 30s here, overcast, damp, and windy, and to me it feels bitterly cold.  It actually reminds me of winters I spent living in Northern Indiana, although the temperature was much colder there.

T shirt weather in other words...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:31 am »
OMG! Whatever are you going to do???  *****rollingeyes*****

:silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
Hey, what I don't understand is that as you head in to Georgia from Florida, and maybe North Florida does this too, there are signs at bridges warning you that the bridge may freeze before road does.  What is the warning for?  Are you supposed to get out and push your car across?  Pull over and throw on chains?  Or is this like the warning on toasters that you shouldn't use them while you're in the bath tub?
Actually, it's a decent reminder to NOT make any sudden movements of the wheel and maintain your speed--no brakes, stay on the gas at a constant rate, don't accelerate.

It's the changes  that make people lose traction and control of the vehicle.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 01:29:51 pm »
Those who deal with truly cold weather will scoff, but it's in the 30s here, overcast, damp, and windy, and to me it feels bitterly cold.  It actually reminds me of winters I spent living in Northern Indiana, although the temperature was much colder there.

The humidity makes both heat and cold much worse to the body.  I've lived in Texas and Alaska.  I'll take Alaska at 25°F over Houston at 40°F. 

But then I also experienced -48°F in Alaska...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 02:51:09 pm »
Hey, what I don't understand is that as you head in to Georgia from Florida, and maybe North Florida does this too, there are signs at bridges warning you that the bridge may freeze before road does.  What is the warning for?  Are you supposed to get out and push your car across?  Pull over and throw on chains?  Or is this like the warning on toasters that you shouldn't use them while you're in the bath tub?

@RoosGirl

It’s just so you know to be careful going over the bridge even if the road is still all right—no quick turns of the wheel and no braking/acceleration.  Just drift across if possible.

I’ll have to do just that tomorrow,  since we’re getting snow and sleet.  I love it.  It’s rich payoff for that messed-up tropical October we had.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:48 pm »
I bring out the gloves if it's below fifty. Today it is sunny which is deceiving. It will be 56 today and 65 tomorrow, but is still below normal for this time of year.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 03:12:05 pm »
I bring out the gloves if it's below fifty. Today it is sunny which is deceiving. It will be 56 today and 65 tomorrow, but is still below normal for this time of year.

It's 29 here, @austingirl.  Brrrrr!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »

It's 27 here right now, and I just took the garbage out in my bare feet and no shirt... A bit more dressed now (don't fry sausage and eggs without a shirt), sitting out on the porch with my morning cup... Feet are still bare, and still in light weight pajama pants, but with a t-shirt, and a blanket flannel over it, as it is a bit chilly. Might have to go figure out where my coats and wool socks are pretty soon. Should have them around by turkey day or so...

Sun is just coming up over the mountains, and it is a beautiful day.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 03:39:54 pm »
It's 29 here, @austingirl.  Brrrrr!

Well it didn't freeze here. It only got down to 34. And the humidity wasn't too bad, only 75%. And the wind died down to 10mph. I've put off picking any tangerines as I been spending too much time picking pecans and the longer the fruit is on the tree, the sweeter it gets. My Satsuma tree is hardy to 26deg. I'm on my 17th 5gal bucket of picked pecans so far, off my 4 trees, and there's still more on the trees. I think I'll leave the rest for the 2 legged squirrels and focus now on my tangerine, orange, and grapefruit trees.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »
It's 27 here right now, and I just took the garbage out in my bare feet and no shirt... A bit more dressed now (don't fry sausage and eggs without a shirt), sitting out on the porch with my morning cup... Feet are still bare, and still in light weight pajama pants, but with a t-shirt, and a blanket flannel over it, as it is a bit chilly. Might have to go figure out where my coats and wool socks are pretty soon. Should have them around by turkey day or so...

Sun is just coming up over the mountains, and it is a beautiful day.

@roamer_1

I grew up in Chicago and had my fill of cold weather. Can't imagine going outside in bare feet and jammies unless it's eighty. LOL!

Offline austingirl

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »
Well it didn't freeze here. It only got down to 34. And the humidity wasn't too bad, only 75%. And the wind died down to 10mph. I've put off picking any tangerines as I been spending too much time picking pecans and the longer the fruit is on the tree, the sweeter it gets. My Satsuma tree is hardy to 26deg. I'm on my 17th 5gal bucket of picked pecans so far, off my 4 trees, and there's still more on the trees. I think I'll leave the rest for the 2 legged squirrels and focus now on my tangerine, orange, and grapefruit trees.
@Elderberry
My lantana and esperanza are still blooming so maybe we didn't freeze. They are close to the house though. Don't have any crops like you do. Enjoy!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »
There was frost on the roof tops, but that was it.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »
@Elderberry
My lantana and esperanza are still blooming so maybe we didn't freeze. They are close to the house though. Don't have any crops like you do. Enjoy!
@austingirl

You're in the Apple Capital of Texas and don't have any apple trees?

Offline austingirl

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 05:17:58 pm »
@austingirl

You're in the Apple Capital of Texas and don't have any apple trees?

@Elderberry
Nope. I do have the Apple Store. happy77

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:25 pm »
85 today, 47 tomorrow night.

I think I'll put off mowing the lawn for a day or two.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:43 pm »
Yes, I was raised to always be prepared.  It might be beans and cornbread for a couple of weeks, but there's much worse options.

Beans and cornbread sound pretty good!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:54 pm »
The humidity makes both heat and cold much worse to the body.  I've lived in Texas and Alaska.  I'll take Alaska at 25°F over Houston at 40°F. 

I agree (minus the-48*F part. I hadn't experienced that).

Offline berdie

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »

I spent about 6 months in northern Indiana as a kid. You know when all that cold is supposed to be FUN for a kid. I hated it even then. The best day my family ever had was when my dad got his job back in Texas.

I'll take this weather over that any time.  Although it has been cold as a bear's behind...before Thanksgiving!! I'm getting a little worried about this winter.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 11:58:53 pm »
The democrats are pulling their hair out as their global warming narrative falls apart
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Silver Pines

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 01:15:32 am »
I can't think of one.

I always get sad when someone doesn’t appreciate good cuisine.

Silver Pines

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 01:18:42 am »
85 today, 47 tomorrow night.

I think I'll put off mowing the lawn for a day or two.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Dude, you’re welcome to that weather.  I’ve had more than my fill of 80s and up. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 01:23:03 am »
I always get sad when someone doesn’t appreciate good cuisine.

Good cuisine? Isn't cornbread what they were feeding the urchins in Oliver Twist?

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:39 am »

I've never experienced Alaskan cold.  Fortunately.  However on Super Sunday of 1985, in Middle Tennessee whence I hail, it did actually get down to 30 below zero overnight up on the Cumberland Plateau where I was attending college.

But as you will have noticed for yourself @thackney, today here in Houston it was blue skies and light winds, with rebounding temperatures.  Although we just about hit freezing last night (as cold as it usually gets here, Yankees can laugh at that all they want), today it was pleasantly chilly; I reverted to my customary daily lunch of a protein shake and cigar in a park near my place of work, enjoying a break in the sun.
James 1:20