Author Topic: Trump hails America's 'great warriors' in WWI cemetery visit  (Read 789 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump hails America's 'great warriors' in WWI cemetery visit
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:16:50 pm »
Trump hails America's 'great warriors' in WWI cemetery visit

AFP / Saul LOEB US President Donald Trump takes part in a ceremony at the American Cemetery of Suresnes, outside Paris, on November 11, 2018 as part of Veterans Day and commemorations marking the 100th anniversary of the 1918 armistice ending World War I

President Donald Trump paid tribute to the "great warriors" who died in World War I as he visited a US cemetery in France, a day after drawing fire for cancelling a similar trip due to bad weather.

Speaking at Suresnes military cemetery in the western Paris suburbs, Trump hailed the "great warriors who gave everything for family, country, God and freedom".

Trump, who was in Paris to attend a ceremony marking 100 years since the end of the war, also praised the courage of the French and other Allied troops killed in "one of the bloodiest conflicts in human history".

Read more at: https://www.afp.com/en/news/3954/trump-hails-americas-great-warriors-wwi-cemetery-visit-doc-1ar4zv5

I'm not sure if this story, that he did make this visit was reported and if this could have gone in 'politics' or 'national news'.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Trump hails America's 'great warriors' in WWI cemetery visit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:00:42 pm »
Trump’s rain decision casts dark clouds over his Paris trip
'Those veterans the president didn’t bother to honor fought in the rain, in the mud, in the snow,' John Kerry writes.
By NANCY COOK 11/11/2018 08:24 AM EST

French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel lay a wreath of flowers during a ceremony in Compiègne, north of Paris, on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018. | Michel Euler/AP Photo

PARIS — President Donald Trump’s decision to cancel his visit to an American military cemetery outside of Paris threatened to overshadow his trip here, as government officials, historians and fellow Republicans hammered him for more than 24 hours for that move.

“President@realDonaldTrump a no-show because of raindrops? Those veterans the president didn’t bother to honor fought in the rain, in the mud, in the snow — & many died in trenches for the cause of freedom. Rain didn’t stop them & it shouldn’t have stopped an American president,” wrote former Secretary of State John Kerry, a veteran of the Vietnam War.

The internet lit up Saturday and Sunday with images of other world leaders braving gray skies to lay wreaths, unveil plaques and pay their respects at memorials and cemeteries outside of Paris during a weekend to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:02:16 pm »
Trump's rain check on honoring Americans killed in WWI prompts backlash
By BILL HUTCHINSON Nov 11, 2018, 1:07 PM ET

The fallout from President Donald Trump's decision to skip a ceremony honoring fallen American World War I soldiers in France on Saturday because of the rain grew amid the images of other world leaders defying inclement weather to memorialize the sacrifices of military heroes as part of the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day.

[...]

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trumps-rain-check-honoring-americans-killed-wwi-prompts/story?id=59119504
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
Of course, now we know his helicopter was grounded and he made the visit today which in the US is officially Veteran's day in the US. The 11th, does this matter? I don't know the details well enough. I do know, John Kerry is not my go-to source about Veteran's affairs.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:11:45 pm »
Plus Trump reportedly put regular gasoline in the executive limo.

There is no bottom to the pool of their indignation.

Meanwhile the republic crumbles under 'rat assault.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:12:57 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:20:06 pm »
I'm not sure how apt a critic this Nancy Cooke is per this article from Politico.

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/nancy-cook/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:24:24 pm »
I'm not sure how apt a critic this Nancy Cooke is per this article from Politico.

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/nancy-cook/

True.

She says

The internet lit up Saturday and Sunday with images of other world leaders braving gray skies to lay wreaths, unveil plaques and pay their respects at memorials and cemeteries outside of Paris ...

...but what I see plastered everywhere are images of soldiers fighting in the rain, etc.  Perhaps she's including the historical pix of JFK and others honoring the dead or veterans in the rain.  But by far, most of what I see are historical images, not pix of Merkel, Macron, et al.
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:38:55 pm »
Trump then in turn sent General Kelly and others to go. Pethaps, we could find out how they went, helicopter or what?  From a different location? While this does not look good for Trump, we may not know the whole story. How did Merkel and Made in go?

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:00:05 pm »
While this does not look good for Trump...

Have we gone nuts in this forum? He couldn't go at one time so he went at another. Exactly why that was is insignificant and would have been reported as such with a different president.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
Oh, for cripes sake this whole story line is asinine.  The President stood in the rain today.  I hope John Effing Kerry and his followers here are satisfied.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:08:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
Fake drama over nothing. If it hadn't been this,they would be hammering him for something else.

If he told the left where there was gold to be found,they would bitch at him for making them use a pick and shovel.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 09:30:33 pm »
Fake drama over nothing. If it hadn't been this,they would be hammering him for something else.

If he told the left where there was gold to be found,they would bitch at him for making them use a pick and shovel.

If Trump walked on water, the headline would read "Trump Can't Swim!"

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 09:40:13 pm »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:56:59 pm »
Merging two threads on the visit to a WWI cemetery.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 10:40:57 pm »

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 10:45:01 pm »
Trump haters got to hate.   It is the one constant in the world.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 10:48:33 pm »
Trump’s rain decision casts dark clouds over his Paris trip
'Those veterans the president didn’t bother to honor fought in the rain, in the mud, in the snow,' John Kerry writes.

This from the stupid faggot that faked shit to get awards and then came home to undermine the troops still fighting and then tied his wagon to South American Communists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 11:21:16 pm »
This from the stupid faggot that faked shit to get awards and then came home to undermine the troops still fighting and then tied his wagon to South American Communists.

@Frank Cannon

On top of that his "fighting" was never in the rain because he was under a cover on the boat,and at least one of his "fights" was with a unarmed woman and her children walking in the open in a Free Fire Zone in the middle of the day,and he gunned them down with a 50 caliber machine gun from the safety of the patrol boat.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 11:23:43 pm »

And to think this ketchup queen could have been President.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »
I once got caught up in having to wait while a President had to travel by motorcade and then, go to the airport and fly out or however the logistics were, it was about a 60-90 minute wait.  And that was for the President of the US, what if this had been for a foreign head-of-state, for example,  President Macron flying out of the city? And you know, when I experienced, the President was running late that day....so, I can empathize with the explanation. Hold up a bunch of people in a foreign country on a Saturday, I don't think they'd appreciate it, all of the security concerns as well.

Armistice Day: White House defends Trump WW1 no-show

Bad weather and "near-zero visibility" grounded the presidential helicopter, White House officials said.

However, Mr Trump was reluctant to bring extra disruption to Paris traffic for a last-minute motorcade, his officials said.

"President Trump did not want to cause that kind of unexpected disruption to the city and its people," press secretary Sarah Sanders said, noting the trip was 60 miles (96km) north-east of Paris.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46179291
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:04:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 09:48:00 pm »
Trump haters got to hate.   It is the one constant in the world.

@The Ghost

Maybe he could adopt a Bush,and keep him as a pet? Maybe teach him to do stuff like fetch,and bark at strangers?