Author Topic: Cruz raises constitutional concerns over legislation to protect Mueller  (Read 1285 times)

Offline corbe

Cruz raises constitutional concerns over legislation to protect Mueller

By Michael Burke - 11/11/18 12:07 PM EST

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Sunday that he doesn't think Congress should pass legislation protecting special counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation into Russian election interference.

Cruz said during an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation" that he believes such legislation would be unconstitutional.

"We had a bill come through the Judiciary Committee that tried to make it impossible for a special counsel to be removed. I believe that legislation was unconstitutional," he said.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/416128-cruz-i-dont-believe-there-should-be-legislation-to-protect-mueller
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Cruz raises constitutional concerns over legislation to protect Mueller
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:18:49 pm »
    I so want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but I have become so cynical I believe this is a continuation of 'Dreamcycles are good for you Tour'.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 06:31:17 pm »
    I so want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but I have become so cynical I believe this is a continuation of 'Dreamcycles are good for you Tour'.

Which guy?

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »
   Cruz. 
   Some of the things he has done lately seem so out of character to me @Sanguine

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:24:41 pm »
What Cruz is saying here makes sense though.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »
Cruz is right.  This would be an infringement of Executive authority.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »
   Cruz. 
Methinks you are the one been eating those ice cream on a sticks.  And where I am from, I grew up with them spelled without a 'y'.

Cruz has squarely addressed the issue of constitutionality.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:21:36 pm »
Methinks you are the one been eating those ice cream on a sticks.  And where I am from, I grew up with them spelled without a 'y'.

Yep. Not even close. Dreamsicles have always been one of my favorites.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:28:33 pm »
   Cruz. 

I'm not sure why it would be out of character for a Constitutional lawyer who has argued before the USSC several times, and now sits in the US Senate, to express an opinion on the constitutionality of a proposed act of Congress.

In fact the USSC ruled in Myers v. United States that the president has the sole, unilateral authority to fire an executive branch official, and needs no approval from the Senate to do so, regardless of whether the Senate had confirmed the original appointment.  In the same ruling the court determined that the Tenure of Office Act, which had been the basis of Andrew Johnson's impeachment and had itself been repealed some twenty years later, had been unconstitutional.

I'm no attorney myself, but I don't see any condition under which Cruz could be incorrect.
James 1:20

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:47 pm »
   I opened myself up for this.  Still pizzed Cruz voted on that last budget and that was the uncharacteristic thing I was referring to.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 11:15:30 pm »
   I opened myself up for this.  Still pizzed Cruz voted on that last budget and that was the uncharacteristic thing I was referring to.

I'm with you on that.  But, he wasn't the only one of the good guys who voted for it.