Author Topic: How to make Champurrado  (Read 1411 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How to make Champurrado
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:15:00 pm »
https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/champurrado-mexican-thick-chocolate/#wprm-recipe-container-3213

Thick Mexican Hot Chocolate

I plan on making a batch of this the next time I make Piggies(Marranitos).

Champurrado

Chocolate has been a part of our culture since the time of the Aztecs when it was prepared as a drink with spices and corn masa. Even to this day, we love to enjoy Champurrado, especially during the holiday season.

This recipe is for the classic water-based Champurrado, but you can also make it using milk, and can even add some cloves or orange peel for some extra flavor. Whichever way you prepare this popular drink, I’m sure you’ll enjoy sharing it with your loved ones during these holidays!

•  Place 6 cups of water in a large saucepan along with the piloncillo and the cinnamon stick. Heat water until it starts boiling and then reduces the heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until the piloncillo has melted. (Please check the ingredients list below)

•  Once the piloncillo or sugar has dissolved, add the 2 Mexican Chocolate Tablets and allow about 5 minutes to dissolve, stirring from time to time.

•  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, pour the other 2 cups of water and mix in the masa harina. Mix well with an egg beater if possible to avoid forming any clumps. Make sure you have a very creamy texture.

•  When the chocolate has completely dissolved, slowly pour the masa harina mixture into the saucepan while stirring, to make sure there are no clumps. If you want to be safe and avoid masa harina clumps, use a strainer to pour the mixture.

•  Turn the heat to medium-high until the Champurrado starts boiling, and then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, stirring constantly. After 6-8 minutes the mixture will thicken. Allow cooking for 5 more minutes.

Ingredients

•   8 cups of water
•   5 oz. of piloncillo or ½ cup of sugar
•   1 cinnamon stick
•   2 Mexican Chocolate tablets 6.5 ounces
•   Â¾ cup of masa harina corn flour