Author Topic: How Ted Cruz survived Beto O’Rourke and the Blue Wave  (Read 791 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How Ted Cruz survived Beto O’Rourke and the Blue Wave
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:02 pm »
Houston Chronicle by Jeremy Wallace Nov. 7, 2018

Sen. Ted Cruz survived the most competitive U.S. Senate race in 40 years in Texas thanks to three key parts of the state.

Cruz targeted the Texas Panhandle, a half-dozen counties in East Texas and the Houston suburbs as he closed his campaign. He held rallies in each of those areas, pleading with conservative supporters to vote in big enough numbers to counter the record turnout in Texas cities that powered Democrat Beto O’Rourke.

And those conservative voters delivered, providing Cruz with almost 250,000 more votes than O’Rourke — slightly more than Cruz’s margin of victory statewide.

As of late Wednesday, the Texas Secretary of State had Cruz winning the U.S. Senate race over O’Rourke 50.9 percent to 48.2 percent. It is the first time any U.S. Senate race has been decided by less than 10 percentage points since 1978.

“Millions across the state were inspired by his campaign,” Cruz told supporters of O’Rourke at his victory celebration in Houston on Tuesday. “They did not prevail and I’m glad the people of Texas chose a different path.”

No region was more important to Cruz than the Harris County suburbs. In Montgomery, Waller and Chambers counties, Cruz built a nearly 100,000-vote margin of victory there, claiming almost 73 percent of the vote, and nearly half of his overall margin of victory.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/How-Ted-Cruz-survived-Beto-O-Rourke-and-the-13373004.php

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Re: How Ted Cruz survived Beto O’Rourke and the Blue Wave
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 12:07:40 am »
Houston Chronicle by Jeremy Wallace Nov. 7, 2018

No region was more important to Cruz than the Harris County suburbs. In Montgomery, Waller and Chambers counties, Cruz built a nearly 100,000-vote margin of victory there, claiming almost 73 percent of the vote, and nearly half of his overall margin of victory.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/How-Ted-Cruz-survived-Beto-O-Rourke-and-the-13373004.php

I live in some of those suburbs, less than a mile outside the Harris County line.  I was quite happy to again vote for Senator Cruz, as I did the two previous times he was on a ballot.
James 1:20

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: How Ted Cruz survived Beto O’Rourke and the Blue Wave
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:54 am »
Cruz got my vote and 80% of my neighbors. Wish it was 100%.
Principles matter. Words matter.