Author Topic: ‘Black 47’ Brings Westerns to Ireland  (Read 747 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘Black 47’ Brings Westerns to Ireland
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:53 pm »
‘Black 47’ Brings Westerns to Ireland
Jacob Trussell | September 21, 2018

In an exclusive clip, get a taste of the raw violence in this revenge thriller.

As an American, we don’t really get taught in school about Ireland’s Potato Famine. Sure, there may have been a short lesson in World History that covered the basics, but nothing in depth. I do know that because of a blight, Ireland’s potato crop failed in successive years, resulting in one million deaths and over a million more emigrating out of the country, dropping Ireland’s population from eight million to six million, all within the span of only four years. But until Lance Daly’s Black 47 came to my attention, I had all but forgotten about those short lessons I learned.

Though perhaps what’s more shocking is that there hasn’t ever been a film about this time period of Irish history, and especially not one featuring a cast that includes Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rhea, Barry Keoghan, and newcomer James Frecheville. I wonder why? Perhaps Stephen Rhea said it best in this interview from Irish Times:

Read more at: https://filmschoolrejects.com/black-47-exclusive-clip/

I make no claims about this movie, I only heard about it... it might be of interest here. One reviewer called it an Irish Braveheart. Set around 1847 and about the Irish Potato famine.

! No longer available

Website above says they exclusively had this excerpt:
! No longer available
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:32:50 pm by TomSea »

Online goatprairie

Re: ‘Black 47’ Brings Westerns to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:47:50 pm »
In southern Ireland there are a lot of what are called "famine houses"  the empty houses of people who vacated their homes during the famine or at some later time.
As we toured around sourthern Ireland nine years ago, the wife and I would observe these sad reminders of the famine and wonder about the people who left their homes and either made it to another country or starved to death.
As we stayed at a B&B near Doolin, we wondered why we hadn't seen any of the famine houses on the way to the town from our last stop.
As we opened the window in our room, across the road was a famine house.