Author Topic: 2018 General Election Live Thread  (Read 30927 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: 2018 General Election Live Thread
« Reply #950 on: November 08, 2018, 07:00:19 pm »
Dallas is now firmly blue, and that includes suburbs that were crimson just one election ago.

Correct.  That is the price we are paying for dealing with the devil.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #951 on: November 08, 2018, 07:09:51 pm »
Correct.  That is the price we are paying for dealing with the devil.

Yeah. I guess it doesn't have anything to do with all the Cali people moving there.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #952 on: November 08, 2018, 07:17:15 pm »
Yeah. I guess it doesn't have anything to do with all the Cali people moving there.

Add to that all the money poured into just that one senate race, more than ever before.
Beto didn't win, but in the counties that he did win in, it had some serious coattail effects.
The last time something went this haywire was when Bill Clinton took Harris county, a LaRouche Democrat got some kind of office, just for having a "D" by his name on the ballot.

I understand that in 2020, we here in Texas will no longer have straight ticket voting.
I've also heard that we have to register for a party affiliation if we want to vote in the primaries.
Does anyone know about that part?

Offline DB

« Reply #953 on: November 08, 2018, 07:38:24 pm »

How can Cali people be omnipresent destroying the country while maintaining their voting destruction of California?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #954 on: November 08, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »
How can Cali people be omnipresent destroying the country while maintaining their voting destruction of California?

Same way the Noo Yawk contingent does it in parts of Florida. 
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #955 on: November 08, 2018, 09:11:45 pm »

I understand that in 2020, we here in Texas will no longer have straight ticket voting.
I've also heard that we have to register for a party affiliation if we want to vote in the primaries.

No longer able to vote straight party without selecting a candidate in every single race:  True
Have to register for a party affiliation for the primaries:  I haven't heard anything about that, and there is nothing about it on the SOS website.  https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/laws/advisory2018-15.shtml

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #956 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:07 pm »
Add to that all the money poured into just that one senate race, more than ever before.
Beto didn't win, but in the counties that he did win in, it had some serious coattail effects.
The last time something went this haywire was when Bill Clinton took Harris county, a LaRouche Democrat got some kind of office, just for having a "D" by his name on the ballot.

This just past election was the last time anyone could vote for every candidate of a party with a single mark on the ballot.  One election too late IMHO. 

All primary voters in Texas register a party affiliation when they vote in one.  You cannot vote in the democrat primary and then vote in any republican runoff and that isn't changing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #957 on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »
This just past election was the last time anyone could vote for every candidate of a party with a single mark on the ballot.  One election too late IMHO. 

All primary voters in Texas register a party affiliation when they vote in one.  You cannot vote in the democrat primary and then vote in any republican runoff and that isn't changing.

I see, nothing is changing at the primary level.
I had heard rumblings that they may start registering people by party affiliation, to keep the primaries from having all the dems vote for a republican they know that would lose and vice-versa. Kind of like Rush's operation chaos a few years ago, with the open primaries.
I guess they've left us as an open primary state, for now.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #958 on: November 09, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »
Still waiting for you to tell me when "Eventual Nominee" Cruz was ahead in the delegate count against Trump?

Feb 2, 2016
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #959 on: November 09, 2018, 06:53:45 pm »
Feb 2, 2016

Be careful, it's something of a trick question.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #960 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »
Be careful, it's something of a trick question.

Well sure, if you want to get technical.  Since the fix was already in at the Convention, Iowa's Cruz delegates saw their votes get reversed in the finest Democrat Party tradition.  Trump delegates, handpicked by the RNC, worked feverishly to block any chance of reforming the Party.  The GOP Swamp Establishment won out BIG TIME, thanks to Trump.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #961 on: November 09, 2018, 08:29:25 pm »
Well sure, if you want to get technical.  Since the fix was already in at the Convention, Iowa's Cruz delegates saw their votes get reversed in the finest Democrat Party tradition.  Trump delegates, handpicked by the RNC, worked feverishly to block any chance of reforming the Party.  The GOP Swamp Establishment won out BIG TIME, thanks to Trump.

QFT
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #962 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:46 pm »

Even still, Cruz, like everyone else, had no delegates on Feb 2.  Iowa's process is rather odd, and the caucus is just the first step in a long process.  He had delegates that would in theory vote for delegates that would in theory vote for delegates that would in theory vote for Iowa's delegates for Cruz.  Or something like that.  I may not have made it complicated enough.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #963 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:40 pm »
Closing live thread.