Author Topic: WE DON'T HAVE TO BE CIVIL, to those who oppose us.  (Read 6723 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: WE DON'T HAVE TO BE CIVIL, to those who oppose us.
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 08:16:09 pm »
Be merciful and kind to a fellow member who literally has TDS. I think the point poster is missing is that Trump is so good at the presidential thing, that he has had a transformative impact on politics.

After Donald J. Trump, presidential politics will never be the same.

Right.

Never presidential.   *****rollingeyes*****

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 08:17:55 pm »
We don't have to, but if we are, it makes our opponents look like petulant children when they are uncivil.

Being civil is not the same thing as not fighting back.  Review the video of Lindsay Graham's "You guys want power.  God! I hope you never get it!" speech to see what I'm talking about.  He was perfectly civil, while delivering an impassioned attack on the Democrats.

Good post.   Graham gave the speech of the year - civil, courtly even, and devastatingly effective.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:43 pm »
Too many argue that nasty tweets mean fighting.  They don't.  It may make the angry feel better (or just angrier), but it does no good to move the ball toward the end zone.
@musiclady
It's enough to make you shudder at the thought of imagining how the likes of Tammany Hall, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Joseph McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Richard Daley, Lyndon Johnson, and Bill Clinton would have been in the Twitterverse, if there was a Twitterverse for them to use at the time . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »
Good post.   Graham gave the speech of the year - civil, courtly even, and devastatingly effective.

The truth of the matter is, that when opinions are stated civilly, they have much more effect on the 'other' side, and especially more for those in the middle........ whom I think we are trying to attract, are we not?

Angry, uncivil red-meat for the faithful doesn't increase the party, it diminishes it.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
@musiclady
It's enough to make you shudder at the thought of imagining how the likes of Tammany Hall, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Joseph McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Richard Daley, Lyndon Johnson, and Bill Clinton would have been in the Twitterverse, if there was a Twitterverse for them to use at the time . . .

Oh, I don't know if it's that far from what we're seeing now.

I think there's a lot of Tammany Hall in tweets from this WH......

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:25:35 pm »
Oh, I don't know if it's that far from what we're seeing now.

I think there's a lot of Tammany Hall in tweets from this WH......
@musiclady
There is that style in them, yes. But imagine if the real Tammany had had the Twitterverse available to it. Them, the longtime Nassau County Republicans on Long Island (they sometimes made the Tammany Democrats look like the essence of a mannered cricket team), the Daley machine, Willie Brown's machine in California, the Prendergast machine in Kansas City (from whence Harry Truman sprang, for those who don't remember) . . .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:26:11 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 08:26:32 pm »
Be merciful and kind to a fellow member who literally has TDS. I think the point poster is missing is that Trump is so good at the presidential thing, that he has had a transformative impact on politics.

After Donald J. Trump, presidential politics will never be the same.

@aligncare

I honestly believe you are right.

For too long the professional pols have played politics like it is a insider game of special circumstances and they know best.

The truth is it is a business selling a product,just like any other business. The products they are selling is "governments and freedoms". There was no difference before Trump because most were selling government for personal power/profits. Now there is a man at the top who puts ego ahead of all else,even profits. His ego DEMANDS that history records his presidency as historically successful,and his ego is more important to him than all the money in the world.

This is driving the professional pols from both branches of the ruling party insane.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:27:59 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »
@Suppressed

Ok,ya got nothing.

No, @sneakypete, I recognize that he eliminated the marriage penalty, cut taxes, prevented any further major terrorist attacks on the homeland after 9/11, etc.  But I'm not letting you deflect.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »

No, @sneakypete, I recognize that he eliminated the marriage penalty, cut taxes, prevented any further major terrorist attacks on the homeland after 9/11, etc. 

@Suppressed

The HORRORS! No wonder you hate him!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 09:35:38 pm »
@musiclady
There is that style in them, yes. But imagine if the real Tammany had had the Twitterverse available to it. Them, the longtime Nassau County Republicans on Long Island (they sometimes made the Tammany Democrats look like the essence of a mannered cricket team), the Daley machine, Willie Brown's machine in California, the Prendergast machine in Kansas City (from whence Harry Truman sprang, for those who don't remember) . . .

Point well taken.  Today the worst is well-mannered by those standards.

And yet, still unacceptable.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
The HORRORS! No wonder you hate him!

@sneakypete, I never said I hate W, even if I don't agree with much of what he did.  At least he hasn't slapped a patina of mud onto the US like our current Oval Office occupant.
+++++++++

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »
So glad I don't have to be civil to you mother bleep anymore.

Offline berdie

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:08 am »
No, @sneakypete, I recognize that he eliminated the marriage penalty, cut taxes, prevented any further major terrorist attacks on the homeland after 9/11, etc.  But I'm not letting you deflect.

you rock @ suppressed. The man didn't do a bad job under the circumstances.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 02:22:55 am »

you rock @ suppressed. The man didn't do a bad job under the circumstances.

@Suppressed

Boy Jorge sucked all the air right off the planet. SOB took Saudi money to invade Iraq,and we are STILL in the Muddle East because of that bastard.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
@Suppressed

Boy Jorge sucked all the air right off the planet. SOB took Saudi money to invade Iraq,and we are STILL in the Muddle East because of that bastard.

Started 2 wars he never had any intention of winning.

Helluva legacy, Jorge.

Seems to be some mental deficit/phony distraction/cover by Trump's detractors: Holding DJT's public persona up to Reagan's as proof he's an unpolished low life by comparison.

Ronald Reagan was a polished, professional Actor - plenty of Screen and Voice Over experience before he became President. Of Course he was Camera Conscious.

Donald Trump was and Is the great white shark of used car salesmen.

Two very different skill sets/public personas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:27:54 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com