Author Topic: Iran will defy US sanctions and sell oil, President Rouhani says  (Read 2439 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Iran will defy US sanctions and sell oil, President Rouhani says
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:45 am »
Iran plans to defy newly reimposed U.S. sanctions and continue to sell, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reportedly said on state TV on Monday, according to Reuters.

"America wanted to cut to zero Iran's oil sales ... but we will continue to sell our oil ... to break sanctions," Rouhani reportedly told economists at a meeting that was broadcast live.
On Monday, Washington reimposed sanctions on Iran in a bid to put pressure on the Islamic republic to curb its nuclear, missile and regional activities. The first round of U.S. sanctions were reimposed in August.

On Monday, Washington reimposed sanctions on Iran in a bid to put pressure on the Islamic republic to curb its nuclear, missile and regional activities. The first round of U.S. sanctions were reimposed in August.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/05/reuters-america-update-3-rouhani-says-iran-to-sell-oil-defy-u-s-sanctions--tv.html?&qsearchterm=iran%20sanctions
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Absalom

Re: Iran will defy US sanctions and sell oil, President Rouhani says
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:43:20 pm »
The realities of geography intervene.
The Straight of Hormuz separates Oman from Iran and is 20 miles
across at its max point which US Subs would close in seconds.
The rest of Iran's oil is exported by pipeline traversing hostile nations.
Rouhani is your typical Mullah; all mouth and no brain!

Offline edpc

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:48:08 pm »
The realities of geography intervene.

The Straight of Hormuz separates Oman from Iran and is 20 miles
across at its max point which US Subs would close in seconds.
The rest of Iran's oil is exported by pipeline traversing hostile nations.
Rouhani is your typical Mullah; all mouth and no brain!

The other reality that intervenes is what you are proposing is a blockade, which is a universally recognized act of war.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:52:20 pm »

The other reality that intervenes is what you are proposing is a blockade, which is a universally recognized act of war.

I like the idea of turning on the tap full bore, and see how well the Middle East fares after $20-30/bbl oil for about 5 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:57:15 pm »
I like the idea of turning on the tap full bore, and see how well the Middle East fares after $20-30/bbl oil for about 5 years.

I’d like to see us use our vast oil, coal, and gas resources to make the next inevitable breakthrough in energy.  That would make crude and OPEC as relevant as whale oil.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:42 pm »
The US does not have that capability.  Very little production is shut in that could just be opened by turning a tap.

There are lots of ways to increase production over time, but it is not that quick.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:25:00 pm »

I’d like to see us use our vast oil, coal, and gas resources to make the next inevitable breakthrough in energy.  That would make crude and OPEC as relevant as whale oil.
We could certainly diverge into using the coal and gas which is seriously under-developed and under-utilized.  Our bounty in these are far greater than crude.

Liquefaction of both into transportation fuels come to mind.  It is a known technology that is hampered only by price.

Getting rid of the unprofitable renewables wind, solar and biomass by eliminating their subsidies would make coal and gas usage more attractive.  As a bonus, we would all save money as well.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »

Not to mention the several other nations using the same passageway for their oil transit.  Over 18 million barrels a day travel out that passage.  Most of the crude exported from Saudi Arabia, Iran, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq passes through it.v It is also the route for nearly all the liquefied natural gas (LNG) from lead exporter Qatar.

Typical day ship traffic:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:35:38 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »

The reality is $20~30 oil would shut down drilling in our shale fields.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:27:10 pm »

Iran began the war by taking over our sovereign soil in 1979 and holding US citizens captive.

Why would that not be considered them initiating war? 

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 11:00:10 pm »
Iran began the war by taking over our sovereign soil in 1979 and holding US citizens captive.

Why would that not be considered them initiating war?

Probably because they were also creators, supporters, and financiers of Hezbollah, who bombed the US Marine barracks in 1983. There is your overt act of war. Reagan decided getting more deeply involved in Lebanon was not in our interests. Instead, we retaliated by supporting Iraq and Hussein in a proxy war, only to fight him twice years later.  As the icing on this shit cake, we employed Iranian backed Shiite militias to push ISIS out of Iraq.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:12:20 pm »

Probably because they were also creators, supporters, and financiers of Hezbollah, who bombed the US Marine barracks in 1983. There is your overt act of war. Reagan decided getting more deeply involved in Lebanon was not in our interests. Instead, we retaliated by supporting Iraq and Hussein in a proxy war, only to fight him twice years later.  As the icing on this shit cake, we employed Iranian backed Shiite militias to push ISIS out of Iraq.
are you saying Iran taking over our embassy and taking citizens captive is not starting a war?

I fail to see what more to start a war can be than invading our soil and imprisoning our citizensure residing on it.

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:51 pm »
Are you saying Iran taking over our embassy and taking citizens captive is not starting a war?

I fail to see what more to start a war can be than invading our soil and imprisoning our citizensure residing on it.

I’m saying you cannot wind the clock back 39 years and 6 administrations later, then justify a universally recognized act of war with it.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:26 pm »

I’m saying you cannot wind the clock back 39 years and 6 administrations later, then justify a universally recognized act of war with it.
How long has Koreas been not at peace?
Did Iran end its war against us?

I must not have been paying attention during my years since then.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 01:53:22 am »
How long has Koreas been not at peace?
Did Iran end its war against us?

I must not have been paying attention during my years since then.

Obviously, you have not been. There is zero comparison between the two. Korea started, because of a full-scale invasion. That resulted in a UN resolution, mass mobilization of allied forces, and eventually, a formal ceasefire.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 03:17:31 am »
Sixth-dimensional chess at a third world level.

Great. Just great.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:58 am »

Obviously, you have not been. There is zero comparison between the two. Korea started, because of a full-scale invasion. That resulted in a UN resolution, mass mobilization of allied forces, and eventually, a formal ceasefire.
War is initiated on far less, and war is war.

Sometimes a Duke is shot or sometimes a country is invaded.

It is still war.

Yet you are saying a simple blockade is war.

Funny.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 03:43:06 am »
Not to mention the several other nations using the same passageway for their oil transit.  Over 18 million barrels a day travel out that passage.  Most of the crude exported from Saudi Arabia, Iran, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq passes through it.v It is also the route for nearly all the liquefied natural gas (LNG) from lead exporter Qatar.

Typical day ship traffic:

------------------------------
Geographic nonsense and utter malarkey.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman and Kuwait have access to both the Red Sea
and the Indian Ocean because of the extensive pipeline system developed
by Aramco across the Kingdom to Ports such as Jeddah and Yanbu.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:03:16 am »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/05/donald-trump-iran-sanctions-exemptions-oil-mike-pompeo-japan-china-india/1885801002/
Iran sanctions: Trump administration exempts eight countries, including China, from new penalties

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration will allow Japan, China, India and five other countries to escape U.S. sanctions against Iran, even as those nations continue to buy oil from Iran in defiance of the White House’s push to block all such sales.

Italy, Greece, Turkey, Japan, India, South Korea, Taiwan and China all have these exemptions.

For Turkey, they are right there next to Iran; it really would not be practical to make them participate in the sanctions OR at least, I can see it that way.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:06:26 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:18:27 am »
Yet you are saying a simple blockade is war.

Funny.

Blockades are not simple or funny. They are an internationally recognized act of war. If you want to see a prime example of one that has consequences, look no further than 1967, when Egypt cut off the port of Elat on May 22.  The Israelis used it as a casus belli, destroyed the Egyptian Air Force on June 5th, and pushed their army out of Gaza and the Sinai within 3 days.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:20:07 am by edpc »

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 12:45:27 pm »
------------------------------
Geographic nonsense and utter malarkey.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman and Kuwait have access to both the Red Sea
and the Indian Ocean because of the extensive pipeline system developed
by Aramco across the Kingdom to Ports such as Jeddah and Yanbu.

UAE has access to the Red Sea?

Over 18 million barrels of oil per day through that waterway.  There is not the ability to move 10% of that around to the Red Sea today.  It would take at least 5 years to build the infrastructure to move half of it. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 01:41:04 pm »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/05/donald-trump-iran-sanctions-exemptions-oil-mike-pompeo-japan-china-india/1885801002/
Italy, Greece, Turkey, Japan, India, South Korea, Taiwan and China all have these exemptions.

For Turkey, they are right there next to Iran; it really would not be practical to make them participate in the sanctions OR at least, I can see it that way.

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 02:21:39 pm »

They had previously said they would defy sanctions, even without an exemption.

Erdogan said Turkey will continue to buy natural gas from Iran in line with its long-term supply contract despite Trump’s threats to punish countries doing business with Iran.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-usa-erdogan-exclusive/exclusive-turkeys-erdogan-says-court-will-decide-fate-of-detained-us-pastor-idUSKCN1M60EP

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »

Blockades are not simple or funny. They are an internationally recognized act of war. If you want to see a prime example of one that has consequences, look no further than 1967, when Egypt cut off the port of Elat on May 22.  The Israelis used it as a casus belli, destroyed the Egyptian Air Force on June 5th, and pushed their army out of Gaza and the Sinai within 3 days.
You are talking in circles now.

First you say a blockade is serious stuff that starts wars, then you say an invasion like Iran did on our soil in 1979 is not as serious as another invasion that happened in Korea, then you say invading the soil of another nation and taking captives is not serious, and now you go back to saying a blockade is serious stuff, implying the invasions like in Iran are not consequential.

I cannot make hay of your argument, but one thing I am certain of is:  Iran has declared war against America, has executed that war in different ways since 1979, it has never declared the war is over, and the US has every right in the world to blockade that nation due to the Iranian provocation.

It is not America that started a war, it is Iran and they are the enemy.  Just because we had a worthless president in Carter in 1979 does not mean America is not committed to win this war now.

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:37 pm »
You are talking in circles now.

First you say a blockade is serious stuff that starts wars, then you say an invasion like Iran did on our soil in 1979 is not as serious as another invasion that happened in Korea, then you say invading the soil of another nation and taking captives is not serious, and now you go back to saying a blockade is serious stuff, implying the invasions like in Iran are not consequential.

I cannot make hay of your argument, but one thing I am certain of is:  Iran has declared war against America, has executed that war in different ways since 1979, it has never declared the war is over, and the US has every right in the world to blockade that nation due to the Iranian provocation.

It is not America that started a war, it is Iran and they are the enemy.  Just because we had a worthless president in Carter in 1979 does not mean America is not committed to win this war now.

You can make sense of it, but you are likely being deliberately obtuse.    South Korea was invaded and subsequent actions were taken by the UN, including armed response and an armistice three years later.  No such actions were taken by the US government for any other entity, after the events of November 1979. You can’t retroactively refer to it and declare it an act of war, for the sake of convenience to justify an action almost 40 years later.  It is really that simple.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:28:44 pm by edpc »