Author Topic: 'How to get a husband': Cringeworthy 1950s dating article advises women to 'cry softly in a corner'  (Read 3868 times)

Online corbe

'How to get a husband': Cringeworthy 1950s dating article advises women to 'cry softly in a corner' and 'stumble into a room' to attract eligible men

Alice Murphy For Daily Mail Australia

18 hrs ago

A 1958 magazine article advising women on how to attract a partner has surfaced on the internet, triggering a frenzy across social media.

Titled '129 Ways to Get a Husband', the feature in American magazine McCall's included a varied body of tips ranging from bizarre and desperate to downright sexist and politically incorrect.

One of the more outrageous instructions told women to be flexible about their potential partner's decisions: 'If he decides to skip the dance and go rowing on the lake, GO – even if you are wearing your best evening gown'.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/how-to-get-a-husband-cringeworthy-1950s-dating-article-advises-women-to-cry-softly-in-a-corner-and-stumble-into-a-room-to-attract-eligible-men/ar-BBP9NdD?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

"Hike up your skirt a little more and show your World to me" Dave Matthews
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

How things change. Crying softly in the corner is what I have to do to get fed most nights.

Offline Frank Cannon

What the eff is it any business of the stupid Limeys what we were putting in magazines 70 years ago? Piss up a rope you crooked toothed bastards.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What the eff is it any business of the stupid Limeys what we were putting in magazines 70 years ago? Piss up a rope you crooked toothed bastards.

You seem to be a bit cross tonight, @Frank Cannon.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

How things change. Crying softly in the corner is what I have to do to get fed most nights.

88devil

Online andy58-in-nh

You know how a British woman cleans her ass?

She waits for him to get drunk, then throws him in the tub.

Cheers, mate!

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Frank Cannon

Listening to a bunch of losers who have a disgraceful history mocking us for an article 70 years ago is bullshit.

Online corbe

It's not purposeful @Frank Cannon It's for entertainment only.

Offline skeeter

Listening to a bunch of losers who have a disgraceful history mocking us for an article 70 years ago is bullshit.

Agree but you're not passing out candy tonight, are you?

Offline ConstitutionRose

Poor baby!   I was raised a preacher's kid.  I feed whatever comes thru the door since that was the rule at our house.   
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online libertybele

Cringeworthy indeed...the article should be titled "How to Come Across as Desperate" ... OR "How NOT to Get A Husband". 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Agree but you're not passing out candy tonight, are you?

No. I hide in the bushes with an air horn and yell at the kids cutting across my lawn.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
The idea to get a convertible sounds good to me.  :cool:

Some of these ideas aren't terrible. Take up hiking, learn to bake pies. No man can resist a good apple pie and you have to burn the calories somehow.

That said I'll leave the real evaluation to the womenfolk, this is a game I cannot understand as far as I can tell they use magic.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline RoosGirl

He seems his usual charming self to me.

Offline Frank Cannon

He seems his usual charming self to me.

You're effing right GD it.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
My, how "woke" feminism and political correctness has changed what used to be the "standard" of the day to "cringeworthy" today.  Times change, people change...what a bunch of politically cowrecked snowflakes...piss off wankers.  Always looking for something to be "offended" about...sick of this BS.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:50:27 am by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Frank Cannon

Boy did Grandpa have it made. No wonder they had more kids back then. The broads had their shit together.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

Thought you were supposed to spray it in the air. Well, that explains some things.

Offline Frank Cannon

Thought you were supposed to spray it in the air. Well, that explains some things.

That's why Dave won't sleep with you. You've been using it wrong.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Boy did Grandpa have it made. No wonder they had more kids back then. The broads had their shit together.

You see an oven in that picture?  Dinner ain't gonna cook itself.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Feminists have run out of stuff to get pissed off about so they had to dig up an article from the 1950's.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Today's women don't want husbands. They may want their money or status, but marriage is just an inconvenience to the millennial woman.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024