Author Topic: Record turnout? Not for millennials — just a third say they'll vote.  (Read 2347 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Record turnout? Not for millennials — just a third say they'll vote.
Stephanie Perry
3 hrs ago

About a third of millennials say they will definitely vote in November, according to results from a new NBC News/GenForward survey of millennials ages 18 to 34.

Thirty one percent of millennials say they will definitely vote in November, a number that has remained steady since August.

Young voters will play an important role in the midterm elections one week from now, and while the survey found that a sizable third of millennials definitely plan to vote and an additional 26 percent say they'll probably vote, about a quarter are still uncertain about whether or not they'll vote. Another 19 percent say they will probably or definitely not vote in the upcoming election.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/record-turnout-not-for-millennials-%E2%80%94-just-a-third-say-theyll-vote/ar-BBP9iUQ?ocid=spartanntp
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
"Yeah, BLUE WAVE!!!!"

"Wait, I have to put my phone down for 10 minutes and go all the way to my voting center??"

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:58:20 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Applewood

If true, this could bode well for Republicans.  Of course, the benefit could be offset by dissatisfied Republicans who also do not intend to vote.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That age group never votes much anyway, but that doesn't stop the pollsters from oversampling them for their blue wave.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
My bet is that the highest GOTV in millennials will be in states where legalization of recreational pot is on the ballot.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If true, this could bode well for Republicans.  Of course, the benefit could be offset by dissatisfied Republicans who also do not intend to vote.

What are these "dissatisfied" Republicans so damn dissatisfied with?  Tax relief?  Jobs?  Conservative judges on the Federal and Supreme Court benches?  A stronger military?  Secure borders?  Rational immigration laws?

@Applewood

Offline Applewood

What are these "dissatisfied" Republicans so damn dissatisfied with?  Tax relief?  Jobs?  Conservative judges on the Federal and Supreme Court benches?  A stronger military?  Secure borders?  Rational immigration laws?

@Applewood

What tax relief?  You mean the minor tinkering that may have benefitted corporations and the wealthy, but did nothing for the average person?

What jobs?  How is it that the same fudging of numbers done in past presidential administration's is now correct just because Trump is president?

Who really knows if these judges are conservative?

A "strong military" that may not have the arms and equipment to repel the invaders coming over the southern border?

Secure borders, eh?    Not so secure if we let the invaders in.

Immigration laws that are not enforced?

And how about all those other promises like repealing Obamacare?

And what about the failure of our representatives to come up with a real budget and Trump signing every spending spree billl that comes across his desk instead of vetoing them and telling congress to come up with a real budget?

Apart from a few executive ordersTrump has either done nothing in two years to keep his promises or he has tried and failed to keep his promises.  And many of those EOS have been overturned by the courts.

Trump is just another politician.  Lies and broken promises.

My sympathies for your chronic dejection @Applewood   The path to recovery lies in changing your focus from the rearview to the possibilities now in front of you.

Godspeed.

Offline aligncare

@Applewood

The “Well, I Never!” Brie and Croissant republicans are so offended that THIS president of the United States won’t play kissy-face nice with his political and personal enemies, so they’re willing to abandon him and all his conservative accomplishments rather than support such a blunt instrument.

In other words, they’re disgustingly self righteous. Just my humble, country-first, patriotic opinion.

Offline Applewood

My sympathies for your chronic dejection @Applewood   The path to recovery lies in changing your focus from the rearview to the possibilities now in front of you.

Godspeed.

Oh, @Right_in_Virginia you are projecting again.  I'm not dejected.  I'm realistic.  Trump supporters, on the other hand, know their idol has not lived up to his promises and now they are going crazy trying to defend him.  Has to be difficult knowing you have been lied to, but still having to be loyal to him, lest you be booted from the cult of his chosen ones.  Is it really all that hard to admit you were wrong about him?  Or is belonging so dam important you have to lie to yourself?

Offline Applewood

The “Well, I Never!” Brie and Croissant republicans are so offended that THIS president of the United States won’t play kissy-face nice with his political and personal enemies, so they’re willing to abandon him and all his conservative accomplishments rather than support such a blunt instrument.

In other words, they’re disgustingly self righteous. Just my humble, country-first, patriotic opinion.

And by being unwilling or unable to work with members of his own party, Trump's supposed agenda is mired.  In two years of his presidency, he should have made more progress than he has.  That he won't work to fulfill his promises tells me he really doesn't intend to keep them.  He just wants to go on his rock star tour to dazzle his fans and when things aren't done, he can blame his fellow Republicans. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

About a third of millennials say they will definitely vote in November, according to results from a new NBC News/GenForward survey of millennials ages 18 to 34.

I don't think 2/3 of Millennials have the ability to get away from their hand held electronic devices for 15 minutes to be able to vote.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oh, @Right_in_Virginia you are projecting again.  I'm not dejected.  I'm realistic.  Trump supporters, on the other hand, know their idol has not lived up to his promises and now they are going crazy trying to defend him.  Has to be difficult knowing you have been lied to, but still having to be loyal to him, lest you be booted from the cult of his chosen ones.  Is it really all that hard to admit you were wrong about him?  Or is belonging so dam important you have to lie to yourself? 

I'm expressing my opinion here, FWIW.    But when you cannot see the possibilities before us, if you are resigned to and preparing for failure in every action, you're living the essence of "dejected".  And, when nothing, absolutely nothing, is ever good enough, hopelessness has you in its grip. 

This is not me, this is not how I'm wired.  I see the possibilities. I'm in and ready for the fight to victory, however long it takes.  I curse the setbacks; I do not surrender to them.   

I am thrilled Donald Trump is President at this moment in our history.  He is the right man at the right time.  Victory is his goal;  anything less is not an option.

Godspeed @Applewood

Offline aligncare

I'm expressing my opinion here, FWIW.    But when you cannot see the possibilities before us, if you are resigned to and preparing for failure in every action, you're living the essence of "dejected".  And, when nothing, absolutely nothing, is ever good enough, hopelessness has you in its grip. 

This is not me, this is not how I'm wired.  I see the possibilities. I'm in and ready for the fight to victory, however long it takes.  I curse the setbacks; I do not surrender to them.   

I am thrilled Donald Trump is President at this moment in our history.  He is the right man at the right time.  Victory is his goal;  anything less is not an option.

Godspeed @Applewood

@Right_in_Virginia

There’s tendency toward cynicism among the anti Trump republicans, a constant negative refrain coming from them.

With each new Trump initiative, goal, action or comment we hear derision from our resident dead Enders. Trump threads read like a dirge anymore.

I’m like you RIV. I see my glass edging up past 60–70 percent with Trump at the helm. Yes, I’m that optimistic that he will continue making a positive impact on the issues I care about. I think his record in and out of office bears me out.

Offline Frank Cannon

Punks don't vote. It's just the way it is.

@Right_in_Virginia

There’s tendency toward cynicism among the anti Trump republicans, a constant negative refrain coming from them.

With each new Trump initiative, goal, action or comment we hear derision from our resident dead Enders. Trump threads read like a dirge anymore.

I’m like you RIV. I see my glass edging up past 60–70 percent with Trump at the helm. Yes, I’m that optimistic that he will continue making a positive impact on the issues I care about. I think his record in and out of office bears me out.

Well said @aligncare    888high58888

BTW, it's good to see the cat again.   happy77

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I am really sick of 'you people' using the expression 'your idol.'  Trump is not our idol.  He is simply a President who has succeeded beyond all our expectations and we hope he will continue to do so.

The only people who 'lie' to us is are Never Trumpers, but fortunately, we ignore you in favor of the truth.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
aligncare wrote:
"There’s tendency toward cynicism among the anti Trump republicans, a constant negative refrain coming from them."

The NTs are dead-enders.
They have no future in the Republican party -- perhaps not in any party (of any consequence).

Channeling Mr. Spock in the Star Trek Episode at the OK Corral:
"They are specters... to be ignored...."

Offline Smokin Joe

@Right_in_Virginia

I don't see cynicism toward our public servants as an issue of Trump vs whoever, but after decades of being told one thing while those elected do another, I see it rather as a mature and realistic viewpoint.

Eternal vigilance, and all that.

Failure to pay attention only guarantees that the electorate will get screwed again, regardless of who is running the show. If you choose to view what happens through the rose colored lenses of populist or partisan politics, you may wake up some day and wonder how this mess got so bad.

What I have observed in my lifetime, is that the measures which take us closer to national poverty and totalitarianism which cannot be passed by the Left, have been passed in years following by the Right, with great acclimation from their respective 'sides', because 'their guy' did it.

Left foot, Right foot, Left foot, Right Foot, the steps have been in the wrong direction, away from the Founding principles, and toward a more totalitarian and centralized government. What the Left has done is only rarely overturned or removed in a meaningful and not readily reversed fashion. Agencies persist, law has become edict or diktat, and rights and powers usurped are not returned.

My grandchildren cannot even comprehend the freedom lost in my lifetime.

So you all go ahead and crow about how 'your guy' is 'getting it done', and he has done a few things, but the big ones (Wall, Hillary in Irons, repeal the ACA) are still not happening. I'm waiting for tangible results.
YMMV.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I don't see cynicism toward our public servants as an issue of Trump vs whoever, but after decades of being told one thing while those elected do another, I see it rather as a mature and realistic viewpoint.

Eternal vigilance, and all that.

Failure to pay attention only guarantees that the electorate will get screwed again, regardless of who is running the show. If you choose to view what happens through the rose colored lenses of populist or partisan politics, you may wake up some day and wonder how this mess got so bad.

What I have observed in my lifetime, is that the measures which take us closer to national poverty and totalitarianism which cannot be passed by the Left, have been passed in years following by the Right, with great acclimation from their respective 'sides', because 'their guy' did it.

Left foot, Right foot, Left foot, Right Foot, the steps have been in the wrong direction, away from the Founding principles, and toward a more totalitarian and centralized government. What the Left has done is only rarely overturned or removed in a meaningful and not readily reversed fashion. Agencies persist, law has become edict or diktat, and rights and powers usurped are not returned.

My grandchildren cannot even comprehend the freedom lost in my lifetime.

So you all go ahead and crow about how 'your guy' is 'getting it done', and he has done a few things, but the big ones (Wall, Hillary in Irons, repeal the ACA) are still not happening. I'm waiting for tangible results.
YMMV.

Yes, they can.  Or they will.  But there's only one way they're going to learn about it.  Same way I (we?) did.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That age group never votes much anyway, but that doesn't stop the pollsters from oversampling them for their blue wave.
Fine by me, the current crop just hasn't had enough of real life to offset the fantasy life they were indoctrinated with in school.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, they can.  Or they will.  But there's only one way they're going to learn about it.  Same way I (we?) did.
As a technical thing, perhaps, but that is no substitute for deciding on the spur of the moment to go fishing, take the boat back onto the creek, or go plinking with the BB gun, with no more thought than that (No license, no necessary supervision, just a Mom, I'm going to....).

Nowadays, fishing (sans license) is out. Too young to operate the boat (we were still in our single digits and quite capable), and even BB guns are considered "firearms" in most jurisdictions and verboten without direct supervision.

We won't even go into dad putting the order form and check in the mail and getting a gun back. No paperwork, no NICS, none of that. (pre GCA of '68).

They can get the gist of it, but only having been able to do it really lends understanding.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And by being unwilling or unable to work with members of his own party, Trump's supposed agenda is mired. 

Do you care to back up this ridiculous claim?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Do you care to back up this ridiculous claim?

Like most things these daze, he (his statement) @Applewood is mired in his inability to be willing or is unable....
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley