Author Topic: The Hero of the Sutherland Springs Shooting Is Still Reckoning with What Happened that Day  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A year in the life of Stephen Willeford, who disrupted the mass murder in his small town’s First Baptist Church and became known as the ultimate good guy with a gun.

Stephen Willeford had just taken a bite of chocolate cake when the stranger approached. It was a warm evening in August, and Willeford was eating at Baldy’s American Diner, just a few miles from his home in Sutherland Springs. He was in a dark corner of the restaurant, out of sight of other patrons in the main dining room, but the stranger and his wife happened to pass by on their way to the restroom.

When the man spotted Willeford, he lingered for a few seconds, staring.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” he said. He looked to be in his late thirties and was wearing a faded U.S. Marine Corps T-shirt. “I just have to say, you look really familiar, and I can’t figure out how I know you. Can I ask your name?”

Willeford is the sort of guy who blends into most crowds. ...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-mass-murder/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=State%20of%20Texas%2010-30-18&utm_content=State%20of%20Texas%2010-30-18+CID_3d35b567e79cea128f845aaa4482e5e0&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=The%20Hero%20of%20the%20Sutherland%20Springs%20Shooting%20Is%20Still%20Reckoning%20with%20What%20Happened%20that%20Day

I don't usually read Texas Monthly, much less post their articles, but this one is beautiful. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't usually read Texas Monthly, much less post their articles, but this one is beautiful.

Dittos.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

Thanks for sharing.

...A few months later, he was invited to be a guest of honor at the NRA’s national convention in Dallas in May. The organization paid for a block of suites for him and his family at the Omni Hotel, where, for the first time in his life, he ordered room service. At the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, he delivered a speech to a crowd of thousands. “We are the people that stand between the people that would do evil to our neighbors,” he said. “I’m nothing special. Look at you guys. Every one of you would do what I did. And I love you all.” He received multiple standing ovations....

You may not be totally unique, but you are definitely special.

The AR-15 given to Willeford by the founder of the San Antonio–based Sons of Liberty Gun Works.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:20:35 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

Wow.  That article is awesome.......... and heart wrenching.

How God can make good things happen out of pure evil.

Thanks so much for posting this @thackney
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline thackney

...Thanks so much for posting this @thackney.

That was @Sanguine.  I just added a paragraph and photo I liked.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

That was @Sanguine.  I just added a paragraph and photo I liked.

Oops!  Sorry about that, @Sanguine

THANKS for posting this wonderful article!

It brought back many horrible memories, but also reminds us of how heroic this man truly was.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oops!  Sorry about that, @Sanguine

THANKS for posting this wonderful article!

It brought back many horrible memories, but also reminds us of how heroic this man truly was.

I went to an event last Saturday, and next to me was a very large man in overalls, bad teeth and a baseball cap.  Named Bubba.  Rural white trash.  I chatted with him for a minute, but didn't think much of him beyond what he looked like.  Later on in the event when we got to the Q&A part, Bubba raised his hand to ask a question.  He had to tell the speaker twice that his name is "Bubba" and the speaker gave a little involuntary smirk.  And, then Bubba asked his question.  It was about forgiveness and doing the right thing as Christians and it was very intelligently and eloquently asked.  I mentally slapped myself and then thought about all those urbanites who would have been shocked speechless had they heard Bubba speak. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Uhm, just wow.  What a story.

May God continue to Bless the survivors and the Willefords with comfort and healing.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I went to an event last Saturday, and next to me was a very large man in overalls, bad teeth and a baseball cap.  Named Bubba.  Rural white trash.  I chatted with him for a minute, but didn't think much of him beyond what he looked like.  Later on in the event when we got to the Q&A part, Bubba raised his hand to ask a question.  He had to tell the speaker twice that his name is "Bubba" and the speaker gave a little involuntary smirk.  And, then Bubba asked his question.  It was about forgiveness and doing the right thing as Christians and it was very intelligently and eloquently asked.  I mentally slapped myself and then thought about all those urbanites who would have been shocked speechless had they heard Bubba speak.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline musiclady

Online mountaineer

I'm going to share this article with our fellow security team members from church. Sutherland Springs, Squirrel Hill ... these and other events are why we are training and taking the previously unthinkable step of carrying firearms to church services.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Exactly.
Nice!

TY!  When I read your story about Bubba, "Freedom of Speech" by Rockwell came immediately to mind.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Thanks for posting.  I really miss my Texas folks.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.