Author Topic: Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border  (Read 9760 times)

Offline jpsb

Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:21 pm »
Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border

The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a caravan of would-be asylum seekers and migrants currently moving northward in Mexico, U.S. officials said Monday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/military-to-deploy-5-000-troops-to-southern-border-u-s-officials-say-1540820650?mod=djemalertNEWS
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:23:26 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

Re: Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:24:10 pm »
Excellent news.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »
Depends on what they're being sent to do and if they are armed or not. 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
Depends on what they're being sent to do and if they are armed or not.

From what I've read, they're mostly engineers and military policemen. IMO, that's far preferable to deploying several infantry battalions. MP's are trained in riot control and law enforcement, and the engineers can be used to construct additional barriers. It will allow the Border Patrol and ICE to do their jobs unfettered.

If that is the plan, I applaud Trump.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:07 pm »

Save your applause for Mattis.  There’s no way Trump knows which troops would make the most sense and why.  Mostly likely, we haven’t had a CiC with that depth of understanding since Eisenhower.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:03:26 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:10:32 pm »

Save your applause for Mattis.  There’s no way Trump knows which troops would make the most sense and why. 

And yet, President Trump is the CIC ... and you're not.   :tongue2:

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »
And yet, President Trump is the CIC ... and you're not.   :tongue2:

I’m OK with being a good man, husband, and father - three things he could never claim.    :cool:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:45 pm »
Trump sends 5,200 troops backed 150 miles of razor wire and Blackhawks, drones and C-130s in the air to the Mexican border to 'deter' caravan from ever arriving - as agents rehearse for riots in El Paso
Daily Mail/UK, Oct 29, 2018

The Pentagon is dispatching 5,200 active military troops to 'harden' the southern border and comply with President Donald Trump's order to deter an immigrant caravan the president called an 'invasion', it said Monday.

Eight hundred troops were already en route Monday – a force the Defense Department is dramatically increasing by adding helicopter companies and engineers who are bringing 'heavy equipment.'

In total DOD is sending 5,200 troops to 'harden' the border, the Pentagon said at a briefing Monday.

'We'll reinforce along priority points of entry so as to enhance [Border Patrol]’s ability to harden and secure the border,” said Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy Monday.

The forces are 'just the start' of the operation,' he said.

The 800 troops en route are in addition to the more than 2,000 members of the National Guard already providing assistance at the border now. Officials say the troops will provide "mission enhancing capabilities" and will be armed.

'We are bringing three helicopter companies in. They are enhanced with optics and censors that will allow them to operate at night and provide assistance to bring our [border patrol] personnel exactly where they need to be regardless of the conditions,' he said.

The Pentagon says the added forces will be able to 'spot, identify groups and rapidly deploy' personnel as need.

'The helicopters will ensure the agents can arrive in the most austere locations and fast-rope down and conduct and work the law enforcement activities,' said Gen. O'Shaughnessy.

The dramatic dispatch of U.S. forces to the border comes just days before the off-year elections, with Democratic critics arguing Trump is using the perceived threat of the caravan to motivate his political base.

According to the Pentagon forces will first build up in southern Texas and Arizona, then California.

Priority will go to 'harden' points of entry.

The engineering battalions have expertise in 'building temporary vehicle barriers, fencing and are bringing in heavy equipment,' according to the Pentagon.   

Among those ordered to the border will be military police, engineers, and Marines.

The latest plans would have the Defense Department order 1,800 troops to Texas, 1,700 to Arizona, and 1,500 to California.

The report noted that the contingent would exceed the U.S. forces currently in Syria and Iraq, and equal half of the U.S. deployment in Afghanistan.

The new forces are expected to provide logistical assistance such as air support and equipment, including vehicles and tents.

The influx of troops comes as the caravan is shrinking, although another is being formed.

The caravan, which has had as many as 7,200 migrants, has dwindled to roughly 4,000. It took a day of rest in Tapanatepec on Sunday but vowed to press on to the U.S. border. The border is still at least 900 miles away, a daunting obstacle to migrants, many traveling with their families on foot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6330911/Pentagon-says-5-000-troops-deploy-border-Friday-deter-immigrant-caravan.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »
Some 5,200 US troops deploying to southern border in response to migrant caravan
Fox News, Oct 29, 2018

Roughly 5,200 U.S. troops will be deploying to the southern border in response to the migrant caravan pushing north through Mexico, U.S. officials told Fox News on Monday.

“We'll reinforce along priority points of entry so as to enhance [Border Patrol]’s ability to harden and secure the border,” Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy, head of U.S. Northern Command said at a news conference in Washington, D.C., adding that the deployment would be completed by the "end of this week."

[...]

There are three planned staging areas: in South Texas, Arizona and California, for what's now been dubbed Operation Faithful Patriot. The mission's U.S. ground commander is Army Lt. Gen. Jeffrey S. Buchanan, who was sent to Puerto Rico last year to lead Hurricane Maria relief efforts.

The troops are coming from military posts including Fort Bragg, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Fort Stewart, Fort Campbell, Fort Riley and Fort Knox. The deployment includes three medium-lift helicopter companies with night vision equipment. O'Shaughnessy added that 22 miles of barbed wire already had been sent to the southern border and Air Force C-130s and other cargo planes would be used to deliver additional Border Patrol personnel.

President Trump, meanwhile, has called for the caravan to turn back and warned its members that the military “is waiting for you!”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/5000-troops-deploying-to-us-mexico-border-in-response-to-migrant-caravan

Emphasis in bold is mine.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 11:33:48 pm »
Sounds like a "robust" operation: barbed wire, helicopters with night vision, UAVs,  soldiers to “back up” security forces... and per the DOD press conference (above) "this is the beginning".

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:35:00 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 11:43:27 pm »
One of the women they interviewed on Fox news also mentioned that medical personal would be part of the troops deployed there and that field hospitals would be set up to treat the incoming horde.  So bleep wonderful.   *****rollingeyes*****

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 12:05:22 am »
One of the women they interviewed on Fox news also mentioned that medical personal would be part of the troops deployed there and that field hospitals would be set up to treat the incoming horde.  So bleep wonderful.   *****rollingeyes*****

I didn't hear that in the DOD news conference.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:23:37 am »

O'Shaughnessy said the military would work alongside U.S. Customs and Border Protection to shore up the border beginning in Texas, followed by Arizona and California.

Three combat engineer battalions, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, troops specialized in aviation, medical treatment and logistics, as well as helicopters with night-vision capabilities and sensors.

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/2018/10/29/US-to-deploy-5200-troops-to-the-Mexican-border/6431540852411/

The reinforcements headed to the U.S.-Mexico border are support troops – not combat troops – and will include three engineering battalions with "heavy equipment", as well as aviation and medical personnel. Most of the troops are on active duty and will carry weapons, but will not be part of any law enforcement effort in deference to the Posse Comitatus Act, which prohibits the federal government from using the armed forces in a domestic police role.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/5000-troops-deploying-to-us-mexico-border-in-response-to-migrant-caravan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20foxnews%2Fpolitics%20%28Internal%20-%20Politics%20-%20Text%29&utm_content=Yahoo%20Search%20Results

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 12:34:22 am »
I didn't hear that in the DOD news conference.

I was only half paying attention to all of it.  I don't recall if her interview was before or after the DOD news conference, but it was separate from it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 12:43:50 am »
The reputation of the CBs is good, I understand.  It depends on what they are willing to deploy in defense of the country.  Barbwire?  Concertina?  Jersey Barriers?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:10 am »
The reputation of the CBs is good, I understand.  It depends on what they are willing to deploy in defense of the country.  Barbwire?  Concertina?  Jersey Barriers?

CBs?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:23 am »

CBs?

@Cyber Liberty

Homeland Security and Pentagon officials said Monday that they will send 5,200 troops, military helicopters and giant spools of razor wire to the Mexican border in the coming days to brace for the arrival of Central American migrants President Trump is calling “an invasion.”
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:14:56 am by Elderberry »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 01:56:08 am »

CBs?

A kewl 2-way radio I had in my car in the 70's.  "Breaker 19!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline endicom

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 02:02:44 am »
Seabees?

I haven't seen anything about the Navy going there.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 02:11:42 am »
From what I've read, they're mostly engineers and military policemen. IMO, that's far preferable to deploying several infantry battalions. MP's are trained in riot control and law enforcement, and the engineers can be used to construct additional barriers. It will allow the Border Patrol and ICE to do their jobs unfettered.

There's some logisticians and medics going as well. :whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:15 am »

I haven't seen anything about the Navy going there.

Just remember the Dept of the Navy is not constrained by the Posse Comitatus Act. Neither is the Coast Guard.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:04 am »
Just remember the Dept of the Navy is not constrained by the Posse Comitatus Act. Neither is the Coast Guard.

While the act does not explicitly mention the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps, the Department of the Navy has prescribed regulations that are generally construed to give the act force with respect to those services as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 02:33:17 am »
A new group of Central American migrants bound for the U.S. border waded across the Suchiate River, that connects Guatemala and Mexico, on Monday. The first group was able to cross the river on rafts — an option now blocked by Mexican Navy river and shore patrols.