Author Topic: What Are Americans Most Afraid Of? Corrupt Government Officials & Global Warming.  (Read 718 times)

rangerrebew

What Are Americans Most Afraid Of? Corrupt Government Officials & Global Warming.
Stephanie Pappas | Oct 23, 2018 8:21 am ET

What Are Americans Most Afraid Of? Corrupt Government Officials & Global Warming.

If you're planning a haunted house this Halloween, you might want to set aside a room dedicated to America's real greatest fear. It could look a little bit like the U.S. Capitol.

For the fourth year running, a university survey has found that nothing scares Americans more than corrupt government officials. According to Chapman University, 73.6 percent of Americans report being "afraid" or "very afraid" of government corruption, more than any other fear on the menu.

But that's not the only thing keeping Americans up at night. [Spooky Sites: 7 of the Most Haunted Places in the United States]

Compared to previous years, Americans are increasingly stressed about environmental degradation. Five of the top-10 fears on the list have to do with the environment, from the pollution of oceans, rivers and lakes (fear No. 2) to global warming and climate change (fear No. 9).

https://amp.livescience.com/63896-top-american-fears-2018.html

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
I think some of the pollution humanity has created is rather disgusting. You've all heard of the Pacific garbage patch, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Researchers from The Ocean Cleanup project claimed that the patch covers 1.6 million square kilometers. The plastic concentration is estimated to be up to 100 kilograms per square kilometer in the center, going down to 10 kilograms per square kilometer in the outer parts of the patch. An estimated 80,000 metric tons of plastic inhabit the patch, totaling 1.8 trillion pieces. 92% of the mass in the patch comes from objects larger than 0.5 centimeters.[4]

Research indicates that the patch is rapidly accumulating

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:54:20 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Somehow I doubt global warming really ranks very high on the list of what most Americans are afraid of. As a matter of fact I bet there are more Americans afraid of unchecked illegal immigration and Hillary running for president again. I mean come on, we've had corrupt politicians since day one and globull warming? that's so passe, haven't ya'll heard, we're back on the globull cooling bus.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'd bet death and taxes are up there on the list....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I'd bet death and taxes are up there on the list....

Well, dying is #54, a full percentage point ahead of public speaking and way ahead of clowns, ghosts and zombies...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA