Author Topic: Could air mobility pilots become fighter or bomber pilots?  (Read 244 times)

rangerrebew

Could air mobility pilots become fighter or bomber pilots?
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
Could air mobility pilots become fighter or bomber pilots?
By: Jeff Martin   

GRAPEVINE,TX--As the Air Force grapples with a ongoing shortage of pilots, Gen. Mike Holmes, the commander of Air Combat Command, is considering one possible remedy, which is transitioning pilots from mobility aircraft to fighter or bomber aircraft.

“If you’re interested out there, and I know some are, if you want to send me a note and what you think about that, I’m considering that,” Holmes said in response to an audience question at the Airlift Tanker Association’s annual symposium outside Dallas, Texas. "I’m open to the idea, I just have to make the math work. "

But, the ACC commander said he was skeptical because the training time it would take to transition a pilot from flying mobility aircraft to fighters or bombers is about the same as it is for newly-trained pilots to learn how to fly them in the first place.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/airlift-tanker-annual/2018/10/27/could-air-mobility-pilots-become-fighter-or-bomber-pilots/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:59:59 am by rangerrebew »