Author Topic: World Series Game One: Prince Eduardo  (Read 1992 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
World Series Game One: Prince Eduardo
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:52:17 pm »
By Yours Truly

“What becomes of the brokenhearted?” sang Motown legend Jimmy Ruffin. In Eduardo Nunez’s case, he becomes an almost unlikely Red Sox World Series hero. Who couldn’t care less about being one. Even when he gets to swing for the first time in any World Series and hits the three-run homer that landed the knockout punch on the Dodgers in a chilly Game One Tuesday night.

Last year Nunez wondered what became of the brokenhearted. Today Red Sox Nation crowns him Prince Eduardo. And Dodger Nation crowns him the first big pain in the ass of the World Series.

“As long as we have the win,” the jubilant Nunez said after he landed the biggest blow in the Red Sox’s 8-4 flattening of the Dodgers, “that’s all that matters. We’re here to win and lose together. Who cares who’s the hero that night? As long as we have a hero, that’s a good feeling because we have the win.”

Nunez got his chance to be the hero after an anticipated pitching duel between Red Sox starter Chris Sale and Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw was rendered a dud in a frigid Fenway Park on a night neither pitcher had anything close to his best or got a single out in the fifth inning. And, after Dodger manager Dave Roberts outsmarted himself two innings later.

The former Yankee who was once seen as a possible heir apparent to Derek Jeter before shifting to third base suffered his heartbreak beginning a year ago September, when a knee injury turned out to be a severe ligament sprain and got worse when he returned for that postseason; he collapsed on the field running out a grounder his first time up. Carried off the field, he was out of the Red Sox picture immediately.

This year, he dealt with more injuries and the loss of his job to Rafael Devers. But here he was in the bottom of the seventh Tuesday night pinch-hitting for Devers against lefthander Alex Wood.

The inning didn’t begin with Wood. Roberts started with Julio Urias, who’d worked the sixth and struck out the side. But the evening’s worth of Dodgers defensive clumsiness continued when Andrew Benintendi, the Red Sox’s left field acrobat, led off with a bloop to shallow left for which third baseman Justin Turner ran out, seventh-inning left field insertion Joc Pederson ran in, and neither could catch as it hit the grass on the fair side of the line, ricocheting promptly into the seats for a ground rule double.

Roberts turned to Pedro Baez and got a swinging strikeout against Red Sox pinch hitter Mitch Moreland before ordering an intentional walk to J.D. Martinez with Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts due up. Then Baez struck out Bogaerts swinging. Then Roberts went to Wood. And Red Sox manager Alex Cora, Roberts’ teammate on both these teams in their playing days, did what Roberts probably didn’t expect him to do.

He sent the righthanded Nunez up to hit, even though Devers has no noticeable platoon split. Either Cora is living a charmed life or he sees things nobody can see that haven’t been seen before, as Casey Stengel might have said it. And on ball one, Nunez caught hold of a slop curve drove it into the lower row of the Green Monster seats.

The last time any Red Sox pinch hitter hit a three-run homer in a World Series Game? It happened 45 years ago, when former Red Bernie Carbo ripped one off Cincinnati reliever Rawly Eastwick in the bottom of the eighth in Game Six, setting the stage for Carlton Fisk’s for-the-books game-ender.

“In the beginning, I thought it was going to be a single because the ball go so high,” said Nunez, very well aware of the Monster’s talent for turning booming liners that would be bombs elsewhere into mere base hits the size of which depends on how well left fielders play the wall’s caroms. “When I see the ball is going, I was excited . . . That was the best feeling as a player, see all the fans, they paid tickets to watch us, to play and be crazy.”

Benintendi was only one Red Sox who appreciated Nunez’s big delivery. “When you’ve got a guy like hm on the bench,” he said, “it’s a weapon for us. And when he’s going well, we all seem to go well. It’s not easy to come off the bench and pinch hit, especially when it’s [frigid]. It was a great job.”

A guy who rides the pine under orders to be prepared for whenever over almost four hours, on a night that trailed a day’s worth of thundering rains that kept the tarp over the infield until almost before game time, has to be carrying some serious determination.

Cora for one appreciates what Nunez has been through to get to where he delivered Tuesday night. “[T]hat was sad to see last year,” said the manager who spent last year as the world champion Astros’ bench coach. “He carried this offense and put this team in a different dimenson. And he got hurt and only one pitch in the playoffs, and then he was out of it. For him to show up [Tuesday] and put up a big swing, that’s his first World Series swing, it’s very gratifying to see him do that.”

Which was the complete opposite of what Dodger fans saw in Game One. For them it was like seeing the Beach Boys showing up to play an outdoor show in Boston without checking the weather or the venue conditions first. It’s enough that the Red Sox can beat just about anyone throwing their A-game at them. On Tuesday night the Dodgers would have been lucky to rate a C plus.

Kershaw couldn’t keep the Red Sox off line at the plate, but Sale did have it slightly worse when he ran too many deep counts and spent more time pecking the corners than trying a full-frontal attack. Even allowing plate umpire Tim Timmons squeezing the strike zone a little too much on both sides.

This was a game in which twelve pitchers threw a combined 308 pitches and struck out a combined 24 while surrendering nineteen hits, and the Dodgers fumbled, bumbled, and tumbled despite chasing Sale after twelve outs. They even got three hits from Justin Turner and tied the game twice.

But they misplayed numerous foul balls, as though they hadn’t done all that much homework on Fenway’s smaller foul territory dimensions. First baseman David Freese—starting in Roberts’ unusual all-righthanded-hitting alignment against lefthander Sale—overran Red Sox leadoff man Mookie Betts’s foul pop off the first base line and a ball he could have caught instead thudded to the grass to his left.

Betts promply lined a base hit up the pipe and stole second with a little help from Dodger catcher Austin Barnes throwing past second and into short center. Then Benintendi shot a grounder right past diving Dodgers second baseman Brian Dozier to open a 4-for-5 night for only the fourth lefthanded hitter to get four hits off four lefthanded pitchers in a World Series game.

Yasiel Puig in right field came up with Benintendi’s ball and threw. He sailed it past his cutoff man and wide of the plate as Betts shot home with the first Red Sox run. After Freese backpedaled to catch Steve Pearce’s pop along the first base line, obviously taking no chances this time, J.D. Martinez singled Betts home and the Red Sox had a 2-0 lead off Kershaw right out of the chute.

The Dodgers got one back in the top of the second when Matt Kemp, their prodigal son, hung in against Sale to a full count and an eighth pitch with one out, and drove one into the Monster seats himself. An inning later, Manny Machado, who’s still high on Red Sox Nation’s least wanted list after his rough slide spiked Dustin Pedroia in early 2017, earning himself a shot near the head two games later from relief pitcher Matt Barnes, tied the game by singling home Turner.

Martinez broke the tie in the bottom of the third with an RBI double off the rearmost center field wall. After both sides went in order in the fourth, Machado pushed Dozier home with a grounder to second facing his old nemesis Barnes, who’d just wild pitched second and third over from first and second.

After the Red Sox pushed Kershaw out of the game with a leadoff walk (Betts) and a base hit (Benintendi), Roberts brought in Ryan Madson. Ball one turned into a wild pitch and the runners moved to second and third, then Pearce completed a four-pitch walk to load the pads. Madson struck out Martinez but Bogaerts dialed what looked like an Area Code 6-4-3 until he beat the throw at first, when Madson looked like he was bounding away celebrating just a little too soon.

It scored Betts, erased Pearce, and left first and third for Devers, who shot an RBI single to right poste haste. That’s what a momentary snooze on the job does to the other guys.

The Dodgers’ only answer to that 5-3 deficit was Machado sending home Max Muncy, who’d pinch hit for Dozier and got the first of a pair of back-to-back singles, with a sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh. All that proved to do was keep things at just the right level for Nunez to step in and, as the Red Sox motto this postseason has been, do damage.

Big damage. Game-out-of-reach damage. Why, the Red Sox were so locked in in Game One that Craig Kimbrel, the Red Sox closer with an apparent penchant for inducing cardiac arrest, had an almost uneventful ninth with a leadoff ground out and two strikeouts—though the second came after a battle with Turner that went to a full count right off 0-2 and then to two foul offs before Kimbrel threw a four-seam fastball right through Turner to end it. Michael DeBakey, don’t call your office just yet.

Just why Muncy was pinch hitting that late became a small issue itself, since the smarter moment to use him might have been in the fifth with Freese due up after Dozier’s leadoff walk sending Sale out of the game. Roberts had only done that a few dozen times before. Roberts said after the game he didn’t want to risk draining his bench prematurely and he’d liked Freese’s at-bats all game long. So Freese stayed and struck out. And the Dodgers got only one run in the inning for their trouble.

Benintendi’s four hits joined him to some exclusive World Series company, too. He’s only the fourth player to pick up four hits in a World Series game before his 25th birthday since expansion began in 1961. He’s only the third in Red Sox history to do it, joining Wally Moses (1946 Series) and Jacoby Ellsbury (2007 Series), and the Red Sox won all three of the games in the bargain.

And he joins Claude Rossman (1907 Tigers), Dave Parker (1979 Pirates), and Hall of Famer Willie Stargell (1979 Pirates, too) as the only lefthanded swingers with four hits off four lefthanders in a World Series game.

Don’t bother telling him just yet. “I don’t really care,” he said. “I’m just glad we won.”

So is Nunez, who admitted he re-signed with the Red Sox for the chance to win a World Series. “I never have that experience [before],” he said in his halting but effervescent English. “I never have a World Series game. I think the best chance is this thing, how I see the team, the players.” Right now, they and Red Sox Nation see him as a World Series game buster.

He’ll leave it to people like me to care about history. So let me say Nunez and Kemp in the same game hit home runs in their first ever World Series at-bats, just the way Chris Taylor did for the Dodgers last year. It won’t shock either Red Sox or Dodger fans if a few more precedents are broken in this Series. Much.
--------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@WarmPotato
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:02:36 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: World Series Game One: Prince Eduardo
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:57:22 pm »
 :beer:    :patriot:

"If it bleeds...we can kill it!"   

Damned shame, though, to play in that temperature, just to satisfy a television contract.

It's the World Series.   Play it in the afternoon sunshine.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
:beer:    :patriot:

"If it bleeds...we can kill it!"   

Damned shame, though, to play in that temperature, just to satisfy a television contract.

How about in September??

Remember the good old days when it never snowed during the World Series??  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:43 pm »

@DCPatriot
That wouldn't kill me, either.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »
@DCPatriot
That wouldn't kill me, either.

@musiclady  @EasyAce

I mean....it's twenty degrees warmer during those day hours.

To play your ass off to get to the World Series and to not be comfortable...not be able to FEEL the ball in your pitching hand?

IMO...it's a conspiracy to keep the 'pinball' scoring at a premium.  They think the casual fans can't appreciate a pitching duel Whitey Ford vs. Warren Spahn game.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:07:33 pm »
Quote of the day:

You can't give this team extra outs.---Dodgers pitching coach Rick Honeycutt about the Red Sox.

Especially when they've been averaging 7.5 runs per game all postseason long so far.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:17:00 pm »
IMO...it's a conspiracy to keep the 'pinball' scoring at a premium.  They think the casual fans can't appreciate a pitching duel Whitey Ford vs. Warren Spahn game.
@DCPatriot
Since they've been playing the World Series at night for a long enough time, I'm not so sure about the conspiracy.

But, unfortunately, for several years now casual fans have despised rather than appreciated classic pitching duels or at least single pitching performances. David Price's gem to nail the pennant for the Red Sox, or Clayton Kershaw's Game Five jewel in the NLCS, probably meant those casual fans saying wake them up when their teams were at the plate.

Three years ago, in fact, I visited my son in southern California and took him to a game between the Angels and the Dodgers at Angel Stadium. The game was a 2-1 pitching duel (the Dodgers ahead) between Kershaw and Andrew Heaney (Kole Calhoun smashed a home run off Kershaw in the first but Kershaw settled down and in from there) until the Dodgers dropped a four-spot on the Angels in the top of the sixth. The sellout crowd wasn't half as enthusiastic about the pitching duel as they were whenever the Angels batted and scored. (The final was 6-4.)

I got this camera shot of Kershaw in the first inning, from our seats down the right field line in the field level stands (fourteen rows up from the field) one pitch before he threw the one Calhoun sent over the right center field wall to lead off the bottom of the first. As a matter of fact, both teams opened their halves of the first with home runs . . .

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:18:09 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:50:36 pm »
They think the casual fans can't appreciate a pitching duel Whitey Ford vs. Warren Spahn game.

Sadly, that's probably true.

But how I would have loved to be in the stands for Whitey Ford vs. Warren Spahn at their prime (non-cheating Ford!).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56:57 pm »
Sadly, that's probably true.

But how I would have loved to be in the stands for Whitey Ford vs. Warren Spahn at their prime (non-cheating Ford!).
@Suppressed
I would have loved being in the stands for this game, for which this book is the next best thing . . . the sixteen-inning marathon between Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn that ended only when Willie Mays smashed a home run in the bottom of the sixteenth . . .

Or, Harvey Haddix's bid to take a perfect game to a thirteenth inning in 1959, when Lew Burdette of the Braves went the distance likewise and ended up winning the game.

Which, by the way, inspired one of the greatest stories involving the prankish Burdette. (He and Spahn were besties on the Braves and notorious for joining up for pranks.) When he went to talk contract with the Braves for 1960, Burdette used the Haddix game as leverage: That guy pitched the greatest game in baseball history and he still couldn't beat me. So I must be the greatest pitcher who ever lived! The Braves GM laughed his fool head off . . . and gave Burdette the raise he sought.

Mays, by the way, hit his first major league home run off Spahn, who loved to needle him about it years later: If I could have struck you out we would have gotten rid of you then and there.

Spahn also gave up the first major league home run ever hit by---wait for it!---Sandy Koufax, in 1963. It was the only home run the weak-hitting Koufax ever nailed in his life.

Classic quote from the Marichal-Spahn game:

Do you see that man pitching there? He's 42 years old. If he's still pitching, I'm not coming out of this game, either.---Juan Marichal, who was 25, to Giants manager Alvin Dark, when Dark tried to lift him late in the game.

After the Giants won the game, Marichal cracked, I think because we won the game it saved me a lot of trouble with Alvin.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:05:01 pm by EasyAce »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:09:17 pm »
Sox are going to sweep.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:19 pm »
@EasyAce
I love complete games.  I hate the multiple pitching changes so common now.

If I were back in time, inventing the rules of baseball, I think I might award a run for every inning a pitcher stayed in the game.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:57 pm »
@EasyAce are you a professional writer?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:25 pm »
@EasyAce

If I were back in time, inventing the rules of baseball, I think I might award a run for every inning a pitcher stayed in the game.

One of the things I like about soccer is that you can only make three substitutions (actually they only started allowing substitutions in the 70s). But I think they should have a max. three pitcher per game rule.    So if your third pitcher blows,  too bad.   That would make a manager have to think before removing a pitcher.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:48:43 pm »
@EasyAce are you a professional writer?
@Freya
As it happens, yes, I am. I started in small city/regional journalism in the 1980s after my Air Force hitch, then did some news radio work before going into trade/Internet journalism until I came to Las Vegas. I've been a free-lancer ever since, nothing major but basic meat-and-potatoes stuff that pays the bills somehow. And when not doing that I'm a blues guitarist.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:52 pm »
@EasyAce

@Suppressed
The only problem with a rule like that is the risk of too many teams losing because, well, they might shut the other guys out (with one or a few pitchers) but the other guy staying in for x number of innings caused them to lose.

This may shock people but bullpenning isn't a recent invention. No less than Casey Stengel himself was unafraid to go to his bullpen early if it meant winning a game or holding on long enough for his Yankees to win. He didn't limit his platoon system to his position players alone, and if his starting pitcher got into early trouble he'd go to the bullpen in a heartbeat. And if his first reliever got into hot water, he'd have the pen ready then, too. In 1955, for example, Yankee relief pitchers pitched 444.7 innings . . . a little over half the innings pitched by the five Yankee starters (Whitey Ford, Bob Turley, Tommy Byrne, Don Larsen, and Eddie Lopat) that season.

Come to think of it, Stengel respected the other teams who had their bullpens up and loosening early if need be, too. (His classic rejoinder, whenever he'd see the Indians or the Browns getting Satchel Paige up and throwing early in a game, was to tell his players, "Get your runs now---Father Time is coming!")
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:58:54 pm by EasyAce »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:31 pm »
@Freya
As it happens, yes, I am. I started in small city/regional journalism in the 1980s after my Air Force hitch, then did some news radio work before going into trade/Internet journalism until I came to Las Vegas. I've been a free-lancer ever since, nothing major but basic meat-and-potatoes stuff that pays the bills somehow. And when not doing that I'm a blues guitarist.

You are an impeccable source of baseball fact and trivia, too!

Yes, I could also search Google or Elias or wherever...but you post compelling responses all the time.

It takes LOVE to do that.     :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 09:59:41 pm »

Yes, I could also search Google or Elias or wherever...but you post compelling responses all the time.

@Freya
 :beer:
It takes love, a good pair of hands wielding a fountain pen (yes, I still write with one!) and a keyboard, a lot of patience---and a hell of a lot of chutzpah!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:00:22 pm by EasyAce »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »

I am absolutely in AWE of @EasyAce 's knowledge of baseball.

And completely agree that the quality of his writing is outstanding.

Quite a resource we have here!  happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »
I am absolutely in AWE of @EasyAce 's knowledge of baseball.

And completely agree that the quality of his writing is outstanding.

Quite a resource we have here!  happy77
@musiclady
I sit in equal awe of the kindness people like you show my work.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
@musiclady
I sit in equal awe of the kindness people like you show my work.

Well, I'm even more in awe that you do this with a fountain pen!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »
Well, I'm even more in awe that you do this with a fountain pen!

@musiclady
I do some of it with a fountain pen. Specifically, this one . . .

. . . I jot notes and even sketch out a couple of paragraphs with it while listening to and watching a game. Something about sentences coming to life under the draw of a fountain pen still satisfies after all these years.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 11:13:12 pm »
@musiclady
I do some of it with a fountain pen. Specifically, this one . . .

. . . I jot notes and even sketch out a couple of paragraphs with it while listening to and watching a game. Something about sentences coming to life under the draw of a fountain pen still satisfies after all these years.

Well, at least you don't get your ink from a well sitting in a little hole in your desk.  wink777

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 11:53:58 pm »
Well, at least you don't get your ink from a well sitting in a little hole in your desk.  wink777
No---I buy cartridges by the 8-pack on Amazon. ;)