Author Topic: Florida Constutional Amendments Up for Vote in November - Amendment No. 1  (Read 3085 times)

Offline RoosGirl

There are thirteen proposed amendments on the ballot this year.  I'm going to try to post them all for discussion, probably in separate threads.

No. 1
Increase Homestead Property Tax Exemption

Proposing an amendment to the State Constitution to increase the homestead exemption by exempting the assessed valuation of homestead property greater than $100,000 and up to $125,000 for all levies other than school district levies.  The amendment shall take effect January 1, 2019.

Yes
-or-
No

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Cool.  I was just thinking about starting a thread last night on amendments.  I almost always vote no, either because I'm not sure what all of the implications will be, or I just don't think "that" should be handled at the level of the state constitution.

I don't see much point to this one.  They'll get "their" money one way or the other.  And why make it only apply to about 2/3?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

I'm unclear if this covers only properties properties valued between $100k and $125k or if it also applies to the first $125k of properties valued over that.  For example, on a $150k property is the taxation only going to be on $25k?

I'm unclear if this covers only properties properties valued between $100k and $125k or if it also applies to the first $125k of properties valued over that.  For example, on a $150k property is the taxation only going to be on $25k?

When I first read it, I thought it was raising the exemption from $100K to $125K (though I thought it was $50K currently, and I just checked and it is, though $25K for schools).

Now that you mention it, this really doesn't make any sense.  It sounds to me like a $150K property would be taxed on $75K (0-50K currently exempted, new exemption for 100-125K range).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

https://www.lwvfl.org/amendments/amendment1/

Those with homes valued at 125,000 and more would receive the full $25,000 exemption other than school taxes.  Those homes valued between $100,000 and $125,000 would receive a pro-rated benefit:

$10,000 of home value would be exempt from property taxes other than school taxes for homes valued at $110,000.
    $15,000 of home value would be exempt from property taxes other than school taxes for homes valued at $115,000.
    Homes valued at $100,000 or less would be unaffected.

Offline RoosGirl

https://www.lwvfl.org/amendments/amendment1/

Those with homes valued at 125,000 and more would receive the full $25,000 exemption other than school taxes.  Those homes valued between $100,000 and $125,000 would receive a pro-rated benefit:

$10,000 of home value would be exempt from property taxes other than school taxes for homes valued at $110,000.
    $15,000 of home value would be exempt from property taxes other than school taxes for homes valued at $115,000.
    Homes valued at $100,000 or less would be unaffected.

That still doesn't make sense.  The property to the west of us is a shithole and assessed well below $100k and has gotten the full $25k exemption for at least the last 4 years.  Pretty sure that every house that is a first resident is given that $25k exemption.  So this would be raising people's taxes?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
That still doesn't make sense.  The property to the west of us is a shithole and assessed well below $100k and has gotten the full $25k exemption for at least the last 4 years.  Pretty sure that every house that is a first resident is given that $25k exemption.  So this would be raising people's taxes?
I didn't read how the existing exemptions work. What I read is that the shithole below $100k, with this Amendment, would Not receive any additional exemption.

Offline RoosGirl

I didn't read how the existing exemptions work. What I read is that the shithole below $100k, with this Amendment, would Not receive any additional exemption.

Huh, maybe I will vote yes on that one then.

Offline RoosGirl

Reading further, this amendment would apply another $25,000 exemption to properties valued over $125,000, so a total of $75,000 in exemption.  Between $100k - $125k would have that additional exemption prorated.  Under $100k would not receive any further exemption.

Re: Florida Constutional Amendments Up for Vote in November - Amendment No. 1
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:51:53 am »
I ended up voting no on this one, and yes on five.

This one exempts certain property levels from taxation.  Making that choice at the constitution level vs. the legislative level is a bit too democratic for me.

Five puts constraints what the legislature is allowed to do, which fits well with my concept of a republican government.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 04:53:51 am »
I ended up voting no on this one, and yes on five.

This one exempts certain property levels from taxation.  Making that choice at the constitution level vs. the legislative level is a bit too democratic for me.

Five puts constraints what the legislature is allowed to do, which fits well with my concept of a republican government.

Yes, I agree with that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:11:42 am »
Always vote no on amendments. They are always just to gouge you for money.

Offline DB

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:48:35 am »
Always vote no on amendments. They are always just to gouge you for money.

Where have you been???

Some amendments are written so voting no is a backdoor yes for doing what they want to do.

No is not a safe bet to avoid being gouged for money.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
Where have you been???

Some amendments are written so voting no is a backdoor yes for doing what they want to do.

That's true. And you can't rely on the sumarry, like I posted in all of these, to acccurately describe the proposed amendment or if you're against it, that you shuod vote no

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:00 pm »
Where have you been???

So voting yes on a no vote is a no because voting yes could still be treated like you voted yes?

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15:49 pm »
If you don't vote for amendment one you're voting for amendment two.

Offline DB

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 03:37:16 am »
So voting yes on a no vote is a no because voting yes could still be treated like you voted yes?

Yes and no.