Author Topic: Dead end kid, espionage, welcome to LCS intrigue  (Read 3064 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Dead end kid, espionage, welcome to LCS intrigue
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:58:46 pm »
By Yours Truly

Just when you thought these postseason series were going to lack for intrigue other than that on the field, presto! We now have things from dirty play to espionage in the League Championship Series picture. Baseball as six parts the Dead End Kids and half a dozen parts the CIA.

Dodgers shortstop Manny Machado has been handed the Dead End Kids role, with a pair of Utley Rule-violating slides at second base in Game Three and a couple of nasty bumps on Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar in Game Four.

The Astros have been handed the spook role, with word that the Indians may have sent the Red Sox information about the Astros trying a little sign stealing during the division series sweep. While one and all around it so far seem to believe nobody’s found any corroborating evidence, it’s not as though the Astros or other teams—including the Red Sox—have been immune to accusations of subterfuge.

So much for savouring the Red Sox’s 8-2 dispatch of the Astros in Game Three of the ALCS Tuesday afternoon, or Jackie Bradley, Jr.’s game-busting eighth-inning grand salami. And, that skintight 2-1 Dodgers triumph in thirteen pitching-dominant innings in Game Four of the NLCS Tuesday night, ended when slumping Cody Bellinger shot an RBI single on a hard line into right.

But then if there’s one thing baseball fans tend to love more than the games themselves, it’s juiciness off the field or adjacent to it. Vin Scully used to love talking about the games within the games, but it usually referenced simple gamesmanship or parallel lines on the field or charming backstories. Dirty play and dirty pool just seem a lot sexier than that to Joe and Jan Fan—unless their teams are the actual or alleged victims, of course.

Machado isn’t exactly renowned as a completely clean player, even if a couple of past incidents involving him may not have been entirely his instigation. But when he slid in straight but hard with his arm up enough to possibly distract Brewers shortstop Orlando Arcia from completing a double play, it ended up costing the Dodgers a fourth-inning Game Three rally when a review yielded interference and a double play call.

It was one of two such Machado slides and the one that got the negative field ruling, since on the first one Arcia hadn’t tried to throw on in a double play bid. But then in Game Four, on a routine tenth-inning ground out, Machado looked to too much of the world as though he kicked Aguilar’s foot with his back leg as he hit first base.

The benches and the bullpens emptied but nothing else happened and the game—dominated to a fare-thee-well by shutdown relief pitching on both sides and a one-all tie into the thirteenth inning—went on.

Machado’s ways on the bases, which seemed anomalous enough to those rubbing their eyes over his earlier proclamation that Johnny Hustle he ain’t, necessarily, almost overtook the discussion of Dodger center fielder Bellinger, a mid-Game Four insertion, robbing Lorenzo Cain of a hit with a dazzling, sprawling, wings-spread, tenth-inning catch, and winning the game with a no-doubt line single to right in the thirteenth . . . scoring Machado, who almost got picked off at second before coming home with the winner.

No less than the Brewers’ Most Valuable Player candidate, Christian Yelich, called Machado out after the game, which he otherwise called a great game. “It’s a dirty play,” Yelich said of the tenth-inning kick. “Dude, you just grounded one out. We’ve all grounded out. Just run through the bag like the rest of the world. There’s no place for it in the game . . . It’s unbelievable, really. He’s had a history. It happens once with him? It’s an accident. The fourth or fifth time? It’s intentional.”

“You saw the replay, probably,” Machado told a reporter. “I was trying to get over him, and hit his foot. If that’s dirty, that’s dirty. I don’t know, call it what you want.” Which was just a slightly odd observation about a play involving a fielder to whom Machado says he feels familial.

“He’s a great guy. We go way back since the minor leagues,” Machado said of Aguilar. “So it’s just a friendly game, go out, try and compete here. We’re trying to win, he’s trying to do whatever he can to help his team over there, and we’re doing the same over here.” Machado and Aguilar did apologise to each other but Machado was fined by baseball for the extra kick.

Apparently, trying to do whatever you can to help your team win can be taken a little too far. If the Brewers think Machado did, imagine what some people think the Astros are doing, now that Kyle McLaughlin—who isn’t an official Astros employee but carried an Astros identification badge—was caught aiming his cell phone camera at the Indians dugout during Game Three of the Astros’ division series sweep.

Baseball government was handed a photograph of McLaughlin aiming the cell camera on the day of Game Three between the Astros and the Red Sox. Various reports say baseball government had “beefed-up” security at Minute Maid Park just in case. MLB itself has decided the actual or alleged Astros intelligence agency isn't all that serious yet. And even if you could make a case that everyone in baseball does things like that or close to it to get a little edge, there seems to be a building consensus that the Astros are the team who makes the most teams nervous about such skulduggery.

In 1951 the New York Giants launched a stupefying comeback from a double-digit deficit in the pennant race to force a three-game playoff with the Brooklyn Dodgers. The one that ended with Bobby Thomson hitting the Shot Heard ‘Round the World, a game, set, and pennant-winning three-run homer with Willie Mays on deck. The one that somehow remains still so mythological that, when Travis Ishikawa won the 2014 Giants the NLCS and the pennant with a game-ending three-run homer,
a popular video mash almost immediately erupted of Ishikawa hitting the bomb with Russ Hodges’ fabled screaming call of the Thomson bomb patched onto it.

It turned out that ’51 Giants manager Leo Durocher and his coaches installed an elaborate for the time scheme in which one coach would train a high-powered hand-held telescope upon opposing catchers and relay the signs by under-field buzzer to the Giants bullpen, who’d then flash the Giants hitters the sign.

Thomson denied for the rest of his life that he’d accepted a stolen sign when he swung on Ralph Branca’s fastball. Branca himself—who forged a charming friendship with Thomson in later years—begrudged the Giants that pennant but couldn’t convince himself entirely that Thomson may have been helped to cheat. “He still had to hit the ball,” said Branca, who bore the humiliation of having thrown the fatal pitch with uncommon grace as his life forward otherwise happily.

Joshua Prager unearthed, affirmed, and exposed the ’51 Giants’ spy operation, first in The Wall Street Journal and then in The Echoing Green. The Astros’ alleged espionage may or may not inspire a similarly researched and written book, but it took too much of the conversation away from the Red Sox’s staggering Game Three triumph Tuesday night.

Steve Pearce hits a one-out, tiebreaking home run in the sixth? Red Sox starter Nathan Eovaldi pitches six mostly dominant innings with only a first-inning RBI single (Marwin Gonzalez) and a fifth-inning RBI double (Alex Bregman) against him?

Controversial Astros relief pitcher Roberto Osuna—who pitched lights-out for them after his acquisition, a deal made when he was still on suspension over domestic violence accusations—hitting Brock Holt to load the bases and pinch hitter Mitch Moreland with the bases loaded to nudge home Pearce?

Jackie Bradley, Jr., whose three-run double in Game Two showed him beginning to erode a postseason slump following a hard regular season’s futility, bats after Moreland and turns on Osuna’s best fastball sending it into the right field seats?

How much fun is all that compared to another baseball Spygate? And never mind the irony of the Red Sox learning from the Indians that the Astros may have had a furtive camera trained on their signmakers, over a year after former Red Sox manager John Farrell was caught trying to use an AppleWatch to steal Yankee signs in a regular-season contest.

Plumb any reporting on the issue and it comes up that the Astros are the team who puts the fear of Wollensak (the type of hand telescope the ’51 Giants used) into the opposition. Some reports say the Athletics thought Astro players clapping in the dugout before each pitch were actually communicating stolen signs to their hitters. (MLB is said to be investigating that.) Others say Astro players use things such as banging trash cans to send hitters pilfered signs. Still others say McLaughlin was training a camera’s eye on the Red Sox to try discovering whether the Red Sox used a video monitor improperly.

Still others further may admit when pressed that, since we’re not talking about political or rival governmental spying and just baseball games, though it’s always mad fun to remind yourself that there isn’t a government on earth allergic to spying even on its allies, that the worst thing about any Astro espionage is that the Astros just might be better at it than others.

Remember Branca’s postulate. They can know what’s coming but still not be able to hit the ball at will. No level of Astro subterfuge could have kept Bradley from putting Game Four out of further reach and tying up the ALCS at two games each. And boys will still be boys, including the side of them that, even in the era of safe spaces and #MeToo, refuses to stop them from playing secret agent.
----------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@Applewood
@AmericanaPrime
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@WarmPotato

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Dead end kid, espionage, welcome to LCS intrigue
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:06:17 pm »
By Yours Truly

The Astros have been handed the spook role, with word that the Indians may have sent the Red Sox information about the Astros trying a little sign stealing during the division series sweep. While one and all around it so far seem to believe nobody’s found any corroborating evidence, it’s not as though the Astros or other teams—including the Red Sox—have been immune to accusations of subterfuge.

Thanks Easy Ace.

First I'll add an update.....

https://abc13.com/sports/mlb-clears-astros-of-cheating-over-photographing-in-playoffs/4504550/

I will an update from another forum, I participate in.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:07:37 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:22 pm »
Thanks Easy Ace.

First add an update.....

https://abc13.com/sports/mlb-clears-astros-of-cheating-over-photographing-in-playoffs/4504550/

This was breaking when I was on the way to work this morning.
KTRH basically outlined what you have posted.
The supposed cheaters were trying to capture cheaters.

Pretty funny.

That 8th inning last night was pretty depressing.

Let's hope for a better outcome from the Astros tonight.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »
Cut/pasted from earlier today....

I've decided to stop at about 10 of these stupid click bait shit articles about Astross "spies" stealing signs for advantage.  Utter bull shit.

Just love how the East Coast MLB Illuminati media tries to make a mountain of a molehill, and attempt to unfocus the game from between the lines.

The concept of stealing signs has been around since as long as I have watched baseball (53 years), and no telling how much earlier.  All part of the lore of the games.  First and foremost, the biggest claims have always been a baserunner at second, then it became the spy with the binoculars at the outfield wall.  Now, the Uber-paranoia crowd thinks that taking pictures of a dugout is really creative and high tech means in this silly business

Now think about it folks.   Between the point when the catcher gives the sign to the completed pitch is about 3-7 second process.  So somehow in this fairyland of plausibility, a batter has to somehow communicate with someone using an electronic device while trying to hit a 100 mph fastball.  Come on..........

Finally... just want to make a couple of points......

(1) Note to AJ and the guys.....    Don't let this stupid diversion take your focus off the prize.  Let it get into their head.  In fact throw out decoys so that that is all the Sox are thinking about.   Kind of reminds me of Mike Scott back in the 1986 NLCS........    The Mets were so bent and worried about Scott scuffing the ball, they forgot the main intent was to hit the damned thing.

(2) MLB and the Commish illuminati are probably in near panic mode in what they may think the ratings will be in a Milwaukee - Houston series.  How better to deal with that, than manufacture some controversy,

(3) Cora is less than a year removed from being AJ's right hand man. IF this was a normal Astros tactic, wouldn't he have nipped it before even happening?, and Furthermore with Cora knowing, why would the Astros be stupid enough to employ it in Boston in the first place

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:12:28 pm »
In the first inning tonight, I wish AJ and all the guys would get binoculars and point them at the Sox bench.........  :silly:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:14:33 pm »

The supposed cheaters were trying to capture cheaters.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:07 pm »
In the first inning tonight, I wish AJ and all the guys would get binoculars and point them at the Sox bench.........  :silly:

That would be hilarious.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 10:16:18 pm »

That's what Jimmy Barrett of KTRH called it this morning.
LOL

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:00 pm »
Thanks Easy Ace.

First I'll add an update.....

@catfish1957
I did mention in my essay that MLB decided Astros' Intelligency Agency isn't serious yet. At the time I wrote, any further detail about it wasn't coming forth yet.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:20 pm »
Cut/pasted from earlier today....

I've decided to stop at about 10 of these stupid click bait shit articles about Astross "spies" stealing signs for advantage.  Utter bull shit.

Just love how the East Coast MLB Illuminati media tries to make a mountain of a molehill, and attempt to unfocus the game from between the lines.

The concept of stealing signs has been around since as long as I have watched baseball (53 years), and no telling how much earlier.  All part of the lore of the games.  First and foremost, the biggest claims have always been a baserunner at second, then it became the spy with the binoculars at the outfield wall.  Now, the Uber-paranoia crowd thinks that taking pictures of a dugout is really creative and high tech means in this silly business

Now think about it folks.   Between the point when the catcher gives the sign to the completed pitch is about 3-7 second process.  So somehow in this fairyland of plausibility, a batter has to somehow communicate with someone using an electronic device while trying to hit a 100 mph fastball.  Come on..........

Finally... just want to make a couple of points......

(1) Note to AJ and the guys.....    Don't let this stupid diversion take your focus off the prize.  Let it get into their head.  In fact throw out decoys so that that is all the Sox are thinking about.   Kind of reminds me of Mike Scott back in the 1986 NLCS........    The Mets were so bent and worried about Scott scuffing the ball, they forgot the main intent was to hit the damned thing.

I remember that all too well

(2) MLB and the Commish illuminati are probably in near panic mode in what they may think the ratings will be in a Milwaukee - Houston series.  How better to deal with that, than manufacture some controversy,

Right, the ratings weren't good because thet teams cheated to get here, etc...

(3) Cora is less than a year removed from being AJ's right hand man. IF this was a normal Astros tactic, wouldn't he have nipped it before even happening?, and Furthermore with Cora knowing, why would the Astros be stupid enough to employ it in Boston in the first place

LOL., Spot on, best reason for it not to be happening. They can't be that stupid

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:06 pm »
@catfish1957
I did mention in my essay that MLB decided Astros' Intelligency Agency isn't serious yet. At the time I wrote, any further detail about it wasn't coming forth yet.

Thanks Ace...   

I saw that.  My main point, as in my followup is there are factions within baseball who would like nothing more than create a diversion to derail the team.  It might seem to a  bit of a rant, but I have seen too may instances of Selig et. al antics that been underhanded toward the team though its history.  From team league changes, to Hurricane relocation games, to Roof open vs closed issues, etc.

Still, it won't really matter unless the team shows up tonight.  Team batting average  through 3 is .193, and Team ERA is 5.70.  Honestly we are lucky to only be down 2-`1.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:14 pm »
Kind of reminds me of Mike Scott back in the 1986 NLCS........    The Mets were so bent and worried about Scott scuffing the ball, they forgot the main intent was to hit the damned thing.
The Mets actually did retrieve several scuffed balls Mike Scott threw in that NLCS, with circular scuffs in almost the same spots on the ball. It was then-National League president Chub Feeney who decided to do nothing about it, for whatever foolish reasons. (I'm pretty sure Feeney couldn't have predicted the final game would be a hair-raiser.) And Scott himself eventually admitted it for a documentary about the 1986 postseason. Quote: They can believe whatever they want to believe. Every ball that hits the ground has something on it. I’ve thrown balls that were scuffed but I haven’t scuffed every ball that I’ve thrown.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 10:26:08 pm »
Thanks Ace...   

I saw that.  My main point, as in my followup is there are factions within baseball who would like nothing more than create a diversion to derail the team.  It might seem to a  bit of a rant, but I have seen too may instances of Selig et. al antics that been underhanded toward the team though its history.  From team league changes, to Hurricane relocation games, to Roof open vs closed issues, etc.

Still, it won't really matter unless the team shows up tonight.  Team batting average  through 3 is .193, and Team ERA is 5.70.  Honestly we are lucky to only be down 2-`1.
@catfish1957
The key for the Astros is really to out-hit the Red Sox if they can, and to accept the idea that as solid as their own pen is the Sox bullpen isn't quite as weak as believed going in.

The Brewers really have an issue now, losing Gio Gonzalez for the rest of the postseason after he rolled his ankle trying to make that play Tuesday night. Unless they get more than you might expect out of his replacement, the Brewers are in real danger of wringing their bullpen out just enough to make it count.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:54:51 pm »
   Another great read, Thanks @EasyAce
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 07:04:12 am »
@EasyAce, first of all, great read.

Second, since this is my virgin year as a baseball fan, I had no idea of all the behind-the-scenes intrigue that takes place in America's favorite pastime.

Third, is there an "I HATE JOE WEST" club I can join? I need to vent my spleen.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:07:22 am by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 11:17:00 am »
@EasyAce, first of all, great read.

Second, since this is my virgin year as a baseball fan, I had no idea of all the behind-the-scenes intrigue that takes place in America's favorite pastime.

Third, is there an "I HATE JOE WEST" club I can join? I need to vent my spleen.

One thing 53 years of watching this game has shown me.  MLB has little regard for the paying fan.  How they allow the likes of Bucknor, Hernandez, and West to infect this game is proof positive.  Last night there was "no doubt" proof of what used to be the "line of demarcation". edge of wall was breached by Altuve's Homerun ball. Past that line is fair game...fielder or fan.   This whole thing was an utter farce, and I smell a rat.

Still. it was up to the Astros to up their game despite this.  They fell short, and MLB's desire to have a LA- BOS is now almost a certainty.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 04:16:24 pm »
...and MLB's desire to have a LA- BOS is now almost a certainty.

@catfish1957

Is this true? Is baseball fixed? If so, why? As a newbie to the game, I don't know what dynamics are at play here.

Was this fixed (see Reddick's tweet)? I felt so cheated then. After last night's debacle, I feel 100 times worse than when Altuve got robbed of that run in Boston.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
@catfish1957

Is this true? Is baseball fixed? If so, why? As a newbie to the game, I don't know what dynamics are at play here.

Was this fixed (see Reddick's tweet)? I felt so cheated then. After last night's debacle, I feel 100 times worse than when Altuve got robbed of that run in Boston.

Baseball's not fixed, but I do believe that the MLB-Media east/west coast illuminati will give some teams an advantage, whether its intentional or not.   Baseball related,  Bud Selig is the biggest slime ball who ever lived.  Want evidence?  Even with fan objections, his Brewers were able to remain in the NLC, while our team was banished to ALW during league realignment.  All was a fix......   a condition allowing Crane to purchase the team from McLane.  There's other examples, but my blood pressure is already up..........
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:10:04 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 04:55:42 pm »
   Terrible night for Texas Sports, The Astros continue their collapse and the Rockets lost their season opener to the Nawlins Pelicans.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »
@catfish1957

Bud Selig is the biggest slime ball who ever lived.  Want evidence?  Even with fan objections, his Brewers were able to remain in the NLC, while our team was banished to ALW.  All was a fix......   a condition allowing Crane to purchase the team from McLane.  There's other examples, but my blood pressure is already up..........

I don't even know what all that means or why NLC is preferred over ALW. I'm starting to wonder if baseball is the wrong game for me. It takes a considerable amount of time to watch the games (I watched all but about 10 or 12 games over the season). I was having great fun with my new passion (even during the injuries and slumps) -- until the past couple of weeks when I started learning about the shenanigans that go on away from the game itself. I have to weigh the value of my time against the disappointment and discouragement brought on by backstage puppeteers. I can't unknow what I have learned in recent weeks. I'm now feeling jaded and cheated. Maybe it's just the sting of last night's lousy call, but, at my advanced age, I need to consider how I invest my time. I woke up still mad as hell. That's not healthy.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 06:07:03 pm »
@catfish1957

I don't even know what all that means or why NLC is preferred over ALW. I'm starting to wonder if baseball is the wrong game for me. It takes a considerable amount of time to watch the games (I watched all but about 10 or 12 games over the season). I was having great fun with my new passion (even during the injuries and slumps) -- until the past couple of weeks when I started learning about the shenanigans that go on away from the game itself. I have to weigh the value of my time against the disappointment and discouragement brought on by backstage puppeteers. I can't unknow what I have learned in recent weeks. I'm now feeling jaded and cheated. Maybe it's just the sting of last night's lousy call, but, at my advanced age, I need to consider how I invest my time. I woke up still mad as hell. That's not healthy.

@AllThatJazzZ

Don't give up on the game.  Screaming, bitching, and moaning is all part of it.    It took be 52 years of heartbreak to finally get the joy of winning for me.  Hopefully, JV will mow them down tonight, and we will get a miracle in Boston.  Pretty unlikely, but still possible.

As mad as I am right now too, you have to realize that this is damn good Boston team.  No accident they won 108 games.  Also don't forget we still made the final 4 of the season.  There are fans of 26 other teams who can't make that claim.

The sting, will wear off in a few days, and then you will start counting down the days to Spring Training.  All part of the cycle of life in baseball.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:08:23 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 06:09:09 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Don't give up on the game.  Screaming, bitching, and moaning is all part of it.    It took be 52 years of heartbreak to finally get the joy of winning for me.  Hopefully, JV will mow them down tonight, and we will get a miracle in Boston.  Pretty unlikely, but still possible.

As mad as I am right now too, you have to realize that this is damn good Boston team.  No accident they won 108 games.  Also don't forget we still made the final 4 of the season.  There are fans of 26 other teams who can't make that claim.

The sting, will wear off in a few days, and then you will start counting down the days to Spring Training.  All part of the cycle of life in baseball.

:amen:

Some of my favorite words:

"Pitchers and Catchers scheduled to report..........."

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:11:28 pm »

"Pitchers and Catchers scheduled to report..........."

Except Maldonado......   :silly:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »
Except Maldonado......   :silly:

I believe that boy couldn't catch a cold.

He did throw out a runner, which is his specialty, but way too many passed balls.
He hits about a home run a month, which is the only hit he gets that month.

Other than that, hey what's not to love?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 07:41:35 pm »
@catfish1957

@AllThatJazzZ
As a lifelong baseball fan (I have been a Met fan since the day they were born, a Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race---want to see my October 1986 Class-A drug bills?---and an Angel fan since the ten years I lived in southern California), I can tell you that one of baseball's oldest professions is intrigue. It works that way in other, lesser professional sports, too. Imagine how Dodger fans felt when learning in due course that the 1951 Giants cheated their way to the stupefying pennant race comeback that forced the three-game playoff ending with the pennant flying into the left field seats on Bobby Thomson's home run. Yep---The Giants stole the pennant! The Giants stole the pennant! even though there's no evidence Thomson himself took a stolen sign to hit that homer. (Giants manager Leo Durocher, coach Herman Franks, and third-string catcher Sal Yvars had a scheme in which Franks would train a Wollensak spyglass telescope on the plate for signs, click a button that activated a buzzer in the Giants bullpen, and Yvars would transmit the sign to the hitter. Some Giants including Thomson and Hall of Famer Monte Irvin refused to take the stolen signs. You can get the whole story in Joshua Prager's The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca, and the Shot Heard 'Round the World.)