Author Topic: 2018/winter 2019 football season thread  (Read 16484 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
2018/winter 2019 football season thread
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:56 pm »
I just realized that since Bender stopped posting, there doesn't seem to be a place to talk football on here. So, I'm starting a thread... better late than never.

You can talk NFL, college football, whatever on this thread. I only ask that, unless someone pulls a protest stunt, we keep the "I'm boycotting" harping to a minimum. It's a thread devoted to the sport.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:17:03 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
Being that I am an Auburn Tigers (War Eagle) fan and Tennessee just beat us, I imagine my input will be limited.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline MOD8

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:26:46 pm »
Topic Stickied.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »
Notre Dame last night again proved (for the umpteenth time) it has no business being ranked in the top 10. People are calling for no more ND in the college football playoffs until the Fighting Irish win a conference title - and stop filling the schedule with Little Sisters of the Poor-calibre teams.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
Q:  What is the difference between Notre Dame and Lucky Charms?

A:  Lucky Charms belongs  in a bowl.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
Amen to that. Notre Dame has to be the most overrated football team in recent memory.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 09:42:31 pm »
Amen to that. Notre Dame has to be the most overrated football team in recent memory.
Well, that's what these playoffs are supposed to sort out.

Not that the Playoff helped much this year. We ended up with 1, 2 and a fairly distant 3 and 4... and UCF still couldn't get higher than 8 after they proved the committee dead wrong last year. All the while, we end up with a Clemson/Alabama playoff game for the fourth year in a row.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »

After the first half of last night's game, I thought the same of OU...   (Or that the Tide was an NFL team disguised as college kids).  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:02 pm »
After the first half of last night's game, I thought the same of OU...   (Or that the Tide was an NFL team disguised as college kids).  :cool:
Alabama just seems like they're in a league of their own this year.

They're probably good enough that they could probably beat last year's Cleveland Browns. (There's a lot of parity this year in the NFL; even the worst teams have won three times against other NFL teams.) I've heard that there's no way a college team could ever beat an NFL team, but I don't think so—a truly dysfunctional NFL team could lose to anyone, including Alabama.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 10:35:53 pm »

They're probably good enough that they could probably beat last year's Cleveland Browns. (There's a lot of parity this year in the NFL; even the worst teams have won three times against other NFL teams.) I've heard that there's no way a college team could ever beat an NFL team, but I don't think so—a truly dysfunctional NFL team could lose to anyone, including Alabama.

Roll tide
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 11:15:02 pm »
Notre Dame last night again proved (for the umpteenth time) it has no business being ranked in the top 10. People are calling for no more ND in the college football playoffs until the Fighting Irish win a conference title - and stop filling the schedule with Little Sisters of the Poor-calibre teams.

ND has had some really good teams in the past, especially in the early 1970s, but more often than not, I'm afraid that they have been overrated since then.  (Some good teams since the '70s, I'm sure, but lots of disappointments versus the traditional hype.)

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 03:51:57 am »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 04:08:17 am »

This is one big reason I don't like the playoffs.  Alabama (for example), has recently played two or three more games than other teams (conf champ, semi, final).  Therefore, the best recruits want to go to AL.  That means AL will probably be successful and play more games, and therefore recruit better, etc, etc, etc.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:35 am »
This is one big reason I don't like the playoffs.  Alabama (for example), has recently played two or three more games than other teams (conf champ, semi, final).  Therefore, the best recruits want to go to AL.  That means AL will probably be successful and play more games, and therefore recruit better, etc, etc, etc.

You make good points.  No where else in American Sports is there such a blatant lack of parity.  Of the 130 FBS schools, I bet odds are that probability of championship of about 10 elite schools has a about a 95% chance of success in a season.  The other 120?  Probably 5% cumulatively,
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:29 pm »
You make good points.  No where else in American Sports is there such a blatant lack of parity.  Of the 130 FBS schools, I bet odds are that probability of championship of about 10 elite schools has a about a 95% chance of success in a season.  The other 120?  Probably 5% cumulatively,
It's probably even less equitable than that. That 5% is split among 50 schools in the Power Five conferences. The other 70? Zero chance. Ask UCF.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 05:03:53 pm »
Zero chance. Ask UCF.
No school got such a raw deal this year as UCF.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 02:18:36 pm »
No school got such a raw deal this year as UCF.
Last year, definitely. They should've been number 4 instead of Alabama. The 12 ranking they got was an utter joke given how weak the competition was that year (not a single undefeated team in the Power Five).

This year, I had them at 5. This year in their bowl they lost closely to LSU—a team that had handily beat Georgia, which the CFP committee had at 5, three spots higher than UCF. With that loss, I might put them at 6 and move Ohio State (which I had at 6 before the bowls, then won decisively last night) up to 5.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »
NFL playoff highlights:

Up next: Conference Semifinals ("Divisional")
Colts @ Chiefs, Chargers @ Patriots
Eagles @ Saints, Cowboys @ Rams
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:19:02 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:54 pm »
The Bear's mascot's reaction after the missed FG is comic gold.

Sorry...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 05:16:27 pm »
The Bears-Eagles game was a real nail-biter. That poor kicker seems to have a bad habit of bouncing 'em off the upright, especially at inopportune times.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 04:47:42 am »
Upset! Clemson Tigers are national champions, rout Alabama Crimson Tide 44-16

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 04:53:51 am »

Sorry...
Let it burn.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 02:09:44 pm »
That was quite a thrashing. Alabama's QB did not live up to expectations.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 06:36:19 pm »
That was quite a thrashing. Alabama's QB did not live up to expectations.

Nor did their coaching.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 06:38:29 pm »

SEC Shorts - Teams visit a laid up Alabama after Championship Game

Sorry...