Author Topic: 2018/winter 2019 football season thread  (Read 16480 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 05:12:19 am »
The Raiders are still the most popular team in LA.

If the Rams win it all, it will be a tainted championship at best. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »
If the Rams win it all, it will be a tainted championship at best.
A Patriots win wouldn't be any better.

You know, when I started this thread, I said "no 'I'm boycotting' posts" but at this point, that's the only good result that can come of this game.

I can live with the Rams, but I'm just plain tired and bored of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl year, after year, after year. So, I won't watch.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 03:52:37 pm »
The Chargers never belonged in LA to begin with.

I know what will eventually happen: the Chargers will move to the new stadium, still only draw 20,000 fans or so (most of them from the other team), and they'll break the lease and head to another city. Spanos has talked about going outside the U.S. in the past. Maybe he's the one that ends up moving to London.

The Rams have a long history there; I think they'll do OK in the long run. LA may not be a passionate football town, but it's got access to Hollywood and all the money that entails. Part of the reason they lost steam in the 80s and 90s was the Raiders coming in and sucking out all the attention.

For the record, the Chargers started in Los Angeles but that is ancient history, they had a quarterback named Jack Kemp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kemp
Chargers were in LA their first year at least.

Anyway, I hardly watched a full-NFL game this year, maybe none fully. I'm not too absorbed with who won or lost.  The league is hyped up and we see how they stabbed many of their fans in the back, let alone, getting taxpayers to subsidize stadiums and so on.

The Rams were making noise all year. I watched most of that Kansas City-Ram game. The Rams don't have 3 or 4 losses for no reason at all. They have been a good team.  If one says the refs favored them or something, I'm not arguing that. Maybe so.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2019, 12:44:19 am »
Saints owner issues statement, well he should. This is probably in response to that play with video that was posted in this thread:

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Saints-owner-issues-statement-as-controversial-loss-halts-Super-Bowl-run-578200?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:46:31 am by TomSea »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2019, 03:03:12 pm »
Just turned on the game to root against the Cheatriots.  I see Brady throw his third INT, only to have it called back because of an offsides penalty the network refused to re-show.  This league is rigged.

There also was that bogus "roughing the passer" call on 3rd down, in the 4th quarter,  that helped them out.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
I saw the offsides. It was legit. The defender was practically in the offensive backfield.  The roughing the passer penalty was arguable,  to say the least.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:44 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2019, 12:36:17 pm »
NFL opposes Rams-Saints do-over, saying it could cost league more than $100M: court filing
By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News

A rematch of last weekend’s NFC Championship Game due to bad call could cost the league millions, the NFL said Friday.

NFL Chief Financial Officer Joseph Siclare said in a sworn affidavit that replaying the final minutes of last Sunday’s game between the Los Angeles Rams and the New Orleans Saints because of a bad call could cost the NFL “more than $100 million” because it could mean delaying Super Bowl LIII.

Read more at:  https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-says-rams-saints-rematch-could-cost-millions

Once I totally reviewed all the info on this "non-call", I've lost total interest. Calls go both ways, I should not have disgust for the Rams and then, in turn cheer the Patriots....but I don't blame people for however they feel. All they can do is patch up the rule now, which they will in the off season.

Jerry Jones said over the past week, that call that benefited the Patriots per the punt or kickoff (whichever), that evidence to me and apparently to him, does not seem overwhelming enough to reverse that call on whether the receiver touched it or not. I think in all likelihood, it didn't touch him but it still is so close, almost too close to call.

I'm still not watching much of this game. Too disappointed from the past really.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:40:12 pm by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2019, 01:31:03 pm »
They could make all that money up and more just by selling the TV rights. Come on.

That said, though... Season ticket holders have no financial standing to sue. As a fan, they gain nothing and are not harmed in the legal sense, regardless of whether the Saints win or lose. The Saints players and coaches, on the other hand, since they lost money in it (the winner's share of the championship game, plus whatever they'll make for Super Bowl LIII), could possibly sue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:44:05 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
Eric Dickerson: Patriots cheated against the Rams 17 years ago

NBC Sports Boston Report
February 1, 2019

Eric Dickerson is a legend in all respects, a Hall of Famer and one of the best running backs to ever play the game.

He also used to play for the Rams. And like most Rams fans, he's convinced that the Patriots cheated during their last Super Bowl matchup against the Rams.

More

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2019, 02:36:21 pm »
This could be the lowest-rated Super Bowl.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2019, 03:00:26 pm »

I have watched every Super Bowl since the first one.   This will be the first one I miss.

Saint's revenge.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2019, 03:21:39 pm »

Because of the boycotters in the New Orleans region?

They think too much of themselves, IMO.

This Super Bowl offers much history.   Does the Grasshopper grab the pebble from Tom Brady's opened palm?

Does a rookie coach win it all?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2019, 03:25:32 pm »

This Super Bowl offers much history.   Does the Grasshopper grab the pebble from Tom Brady's opened palm?

Does a rookie coach win it all?

From that region yes, but I there is very very low enthusiamsim for this game mainly cause again the Patriots are in the Super Bowl.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2019, 04:33:43 pm »

@DCPatriot

Where did anyone say or infer that?  I can't speak for other Saint fans, but I simply choose not to reward the NFL, and their sponsors for extreme sub-par officiating.   

Pretty damn presumptious on your part if you ask me.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2019, 06:24:32 pm »
@DCPatriot

Where did anyone say or infer that?  I can't speak for other Saint fans, but I simply choose not to reward the NFL, and their sponsors for extreme sub-par officiating.   

Pretty damn presumptious on your part if you ask me.

No insults intended, @catfish1957

I read in on an ESPN site...that the theory was that television ratings would be down due to the manner in which the Saints were robbed.

Even bars in the French Quarter vowed not to televise the Game.

To that, I figured there were a lot more Patriot-haters across the country that were going to check in to see this new style of high-scoring offenses the RAMS and CHIEFS showed all year.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 06:57:07 pm »
No insults intended, @catfish1957

I read in on an ESPN site...that the theory was that television ratings would be down due to the manner in which the Saints were robbed.

Even bars in the French Quarter vowed not to televise the Game.

To that, I figured there were a lot more Patriot-haters across the country that were going to check in to see this new style of high-scoring offenses the RAMS and CHIEFS showed all year.

Cheers, and here's to 2 months till baseball season.

:beer:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2019, 06:59:49 pm »
Yes, the Saints were victimized by a bad call. But if the outcome of a game and the team's entire season hinges on one pass play, you probably didn't deserve to win that game. My Stillers got bad calls all season long - but they also didn't play very well, thus, no playoffs.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2019, 07:31:13 pm »
Cheers, and here's to 2 months till baseball season.

:beer:

@catfish1957
You misspelled “lacrosse”
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2019, 07:35:57 pm »
Yes, the Saints were victimized by a bad call. But if the outcome of a game and the team's entire season hinges on one pass play, you probably didn't deserve to win that game. My Stillers got bad calls all season long - but they also didn't play very well, thus, no playoffs.

Normally I’d agree with that but the timing of that bad call is what made it so catastrophic.   Because of that bad call it forced a fourth down with a little time on the clock.  Which means the rams had more time and only had to drive a short field to kick a tying FG.   Had the call been made it would have been 1st down.   if the rams had even gotten the ball back they would have had almost no time to do anything even if the Aints had still only managed a FG.

(BTW, I’m a panthers fan so most DEFINITELY NOT a saints fan!!!)
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
Normally I’d agree with that but the timing of that bad call is what made it so catastrophic.   Because of that bad call it forced a fourth down with a little time on the clock.  Which means the rams had more time and only had to drive a short field to kick a tying FG.   Had the call been made it would have been 1st down.   if the rams had even gotten the ball back they would have had almost no time to do anything even if the Aints had still only managed a FG.

(BTW, I’m a panthers fan so most DEFINITELY NOT a saints fan!!!)

@Axeslinger

I have argued that point ad nauseam.

Add the point that the culprit ref was looking right at the play a few feet away, and then.....   waved another official away who was likely going to discuss an overcall......     Considering the stakes, you really gotta wonder what was going on in the head of that SOB.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »
Well in 6 days there is the Alliance of American Football
https://aaf.com/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2019, 09:53:59 pm »
Well in 6 days there is the Alliance of American Football
https://aaf.com/
I'm not particularly impressed as a football fan with the kind of players they were able to get.  They seem to have surprisingly robust funding and their coaches are fairly good... but when your marquee names are people like Zach Mettenberger and Trent Richardson, it's hard to get all that enthused. Will I watch? Sure, but I don't anticipate being impressed.

I liked the UFL of what's now a decade ago (despite Pelosi's involvement). They had great coaches, good players who had success at the NFL level (Jeff Garcia, Ahman Green, Daunte Culpepper), and paid about the same amount of money. The AAF seems to have dug into the dredges of minor league football.

I'm interested to see what the new XFL has to offer next year. The tweaks I've read about look to make the game pretty interesting, and it certainly doesn't look like Vince McMahon is going to make the same tacky mistakes he made in 2001.

Alas, there's always arena football.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:54:58 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2019, 10:11:03 pm »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:11:50 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2019, 10:11:03 pm »
I'm not particularly impressed as a football fan with the kind of players they were able to get.  They seem to have surprisingly robust funding and their coaches are fairly good... but when your marquee names are people like Zach Mettenberger and Trent Richardson, it's hard to get all that enthused. Will I watch? Sure, but I don't anticipate being impressed.

I liked the UFL of what's now a decade ago (despite Pelosi's involvement). They had great coaches, good players who had success at the NFL level (Jeff Garcia, Ahman Green, Daunte Culpepper), and paid about the same amount of money. The AAF seems to have dug into the dredges of minor league football.

I'm interested to see what the new XFL has to offer next year. The tweaks I've read about look to make the game pretty interesting, and it certainly doesn't look like Vince McMahon is going to make the same tacky mistakes he made in 2001.

Alas, there's always arena football.

I do have low standards for this league, but I think this going to the NFL Farm system.

I did watch the UFL and it had potential, but they should have never gone against the NFL.

Same here, I'm more excited about the new XFL.

Arena football is fading away. I think the league is down to six teams I believe.