Author Topic: 2018/winter 2019 football season thread  (Read 6010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
2018/winter 2019 football season thread
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
I just realized that since Bender stopped posting, there doesn't seem to be a place to talk football on here. So, I'm starting a thread... better late than never.

You can talk NFL, college football, whatever on this thread. I only ask that, unless someone pulls a protest stunt, we keep the "I'm boycotting" harping to a minimum. It's a thread devoted to the sport.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:17:03 PM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Sighlass

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,941
  • I'm Christian, WODer, NeverTrumper. Offended Yet?
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
Being that I am an Auburn Tigers (War Eagle) fan and Tennessee just beat us, I imagine my input will be limited.
Older men are to be temperate, dignified, self controlled, and sound in faith, love and perseverance. - Titus 2:2

Offline MOD8

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 259
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
Topic Stickied.

Offline mountaineer

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 43,002
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »
Notre Dame last night again proved (for the umpteenth time) it has no business being ranked in the top 10. People are calling for no more ND in the college football playoffs until the Fighting Irish win a conference title - and stop filling the schedule with Little Sisters of the Poor-calibre teams.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

    Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline Hoodat

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,295
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Q:  What is the difference between Notre Dame and Lucky Charms?



A:  Lucky Charms belongs  in a bowl.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

Offline mountaineer

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 43,002
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
Amen to that. Notre Dame has to be the most overrated football team in recent memory.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

    Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »
Amen to that. Notre Dame has to be the most overrated football team in recent memory.
Well, that's what these playoffs are supposed to sort out.

Not that the Playoff helped much this year. We ended up with 1, 2 and a fairly distant 3 and 4... and UCF still couldn't get higher than 8 after they proved the committee dead wrong last year. All the while, we end up with a Clemson/Alabama playoff game for the fourth year in a row.

Offline catfish1957

  • Ultra-Conservative in exile.
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,950
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
Amen to that. Notre Dame has to be the most overrated football team in recent memory.

After the first half of last night's game, I thought the same of OU...   (Or that the Tide was an NFL team disguised as college kids).  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »
After the first half of last night's game, I thought the same of OU...   (Or that the Tide was an NFL team disguised as college kids).  :cool:
Alabama just seems like they're in a league of their own this year.

They're probably good enough that they could probably beat last year's Cleveland Browns. (There's a lot of parity this year in the NFL; even the worst teams have won three times against other NFL teams.) I've heard that there's no way a college team could ever beat an NFL team, but I don't think so—a truly dysfunctional NFL team could lose to anyone, including Alabama.

Offline Freya

  • "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 7,869
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
Alabama just seems like they're in a league of their own this year.

They're probably good enough that they could probably beat last year's Cleveland Browns. (There's a lot of parity this year in the NFL; even the worst teams have won three times against other NFL teams.) I've heard that there's no way a college team could ever beat an NFL team, but I don't think so—a truly dysfunctional NFL team could lose to anyone, including Alabama.

Roll tide
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter

Offline the_doc

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2,172
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 06:15:02 PM »
Notre Dame last night again proved (for the umpteenth time) it has no business being ranked in the top 10. People are calling for no more ND in the college football playoffs until the Fighting Irish win a conference title - and stop filling the schedule with Little Sisters of the Poor-calibre teams.

ND has had some really good teams in the past, especially in the early 1970s, but more often than not, I'm afraid that they have been overrated since then.  (Some good teams since the '70s, I'm sure, but lots of disappointments versus the traditional hype.)

Offline Hoodat

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,295
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

Online InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

  • TBR Advisory Committee
  • ***
  • Posts: 3,273
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »
Alabama just seems like they're in a league of their own this year.

They're probably good enough that they could probably beat last year's Cleveland Browns. (There's a lot of parity this year in the NFL; even the worst teams have won three times against other NFL teams.) I've heard that there's no way a college team could ever beat an NFL team, but I don't think so—a truly dysfunctional NFL team could lose to anyone, including Alabama.

This is one big reason I don't like the playoffs.  Alabama (for example), has recently played two or three more games than other teams (conf champ, semi, final).  Therefore, the best recruits want to go to AL.  That means AL will probably be successful and play more games, and therefore recruit better, etc, etc, etc.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline catfish1957

  • Ultra-Conservative in exile.
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,950
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:35 AM »
This is one big reason I don't like the playoffs.  Alabama (for example), has recently played two or three more games than other teams (conf champ, semi, final).  Therefore, the best recruits want to go to AL.  That means AL will probably be successful and play more games, and therefore recruit better, etc, etc, etc.

You make good points.  No where else in American Sports is there such a blatant lack of parity.  Of the 130 FBS schools, I bet odds are that probability of championship of about 10 elite schools has a about a 95% chance of success in a season.  The other 120?  Probably 5% cumulatively,
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
You make good points.  No where else in American Sports is there such a blatant lack of parity.  Of the 130 FBS schools, I bet odds are that probability of championship of about 10 elite schools has a about a 95% chance of success in a season.  The other 120?  Probably 5% cumulatively,
It's probably even less equitable than that. That 5% is split among 50 schools in the Power Five conferences. The other 70? Zero chance. Ask UCF.

Offline mountaineer

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 43,002
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
Zero chance. Ask UCF.
No school got such a raw deal this year as UCF.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

    Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 09:18:36 AM »
No school got such a raw deal this year as UCF.
Last year, definitely. They should've been number 4 instead of Alabama. The 12 ranking they got was an utter joke given how weak the competition was that year (not a single undefeated team in the Power Five).

This year, I had them at 5. This year in their bowl they lost closely to LSU—a team that had handily beat Georgia, which the CFP committee had at 5, three spots higher than UCF. With that loss, I might put them at 6 and move Ohio State (which I had at 6 before the bowls, then won decisively last night) up to 5.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:59 AM »
NFL playoff highlights:

Up next: Conference Semifinals ("Divisional")
Colts @ Chiefs, Chargers @ Patriots
Eagles @ Saints, Cowboys @ Rams
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:19:02 AM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline catfish1957

  • Ultra-Conservative in exile.
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,950
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
The Bear's mascot's reaction after the missed FG is comic gold.

Sorry...
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 43,002
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
The Bears-Eagles game was a real nail-biter. That poor kicker seems to have a bad habit of bouncing 'em off the upright, especially at inopportune times.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

    Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline jmyrlefuller

  • J. Myrle Fuller
  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 15,737
    • Fullervision
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »
Upset! Clemson Tigers are national champions, rout Alabama Crimson Tide 44-16

Online Ghost Bear

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2,532
  • Not an actual picture of me
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
Upset! Clemson Tigers are national champions, rout Alabama Crimson Tide 44-16

Sorry...
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

Offline mountaineer

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 43,002
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
Upset! Clemson Tigers are national champions, rout Alabama Crimson Tide 44-16
That was quite a thrashing. Alabama's QB did not live up to expectations.
I have decided to officially and formally not apologize. I'm not sorry at all, even slightly.

    Indeed, I especially want to convey my absence of remorse to anyone who was offended by what I said. If you are the sort of person who gets twisted into knots when someone articulates a point of view that differs from your own, then you are exactly the sort of person who should never receive an apology for a differing point of view — if I were offering one, which, again, I'm not.

Offline Hoodat

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 6,295
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
That was quite a thrashing. Alabama's QB did not live up to expectations.

Nor did their coaching.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

Offline dfwgator

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 11,483
Re: 2018 football season thread
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Upset! Clemson Tigers are national champions, rout Alabama Crimson Tide 44-16

SEC Shorts - Teams visit a laid up Alabama after Championship Game

Sorry...


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf