Author Topic: Polymorphia  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Suppressed

Polymorphia
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:23:43 pm »
An early jump on Halloween... 

Polymorphia na 48 instrumentów smyczkowych (Polymorphia for 48 stringed instruments) was composed by Krzysztof Penderecki in 1961.  The 48 instruments are 24 violins, 8 violas, 8 cellos, and 8 basses.  The composer had to develop his own system of notation to convey his intentions.
(I direct any questions about timbre systems and other technical stuff to @musiclady:laugh:)

It was used in both The Exorcist and The Shining.  Here is an abridged version, conducted by the composer.

There's creepiness throughout, but the part I like best starts at 2:10.

Sleep well!  Bwahahahaha...

! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwImX18AS_E

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

Re: Polymorphia
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:57 am »
I will come back to this when I can listen on something other than my phone!

I sang in the premiere of the Penderecki St. Luke Passion in Carnegie Hall, so I have a special place in my heart for his weirdity.  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:38 am »
Great outdoor soundtrack for Halloween

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:32:46 am »
Since this is not 80s related... gonna borrow your Halloween related thread to post a spooky mix of an Beetles song.

Beetles vs Kyle Dixon -A Stranger Day (Mashup)

https://mab.to/vQGhywW7V

Mp3 (3 days only)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:33:41 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:59:15 am »
I sang in the premiere of the Penderecki St. Luke Passion in Carnegie Hall, so I have a special place in my heart for his weirdity.  happy77

Wow!  That is SO neat! 

:da man:   

...uh, "woman"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 04:02:58 am »
Beetles vs Kyle Dixon -A Stranger Day (Mashup)

Interesting!  Did you do put that together, @Sighlass?
+++++++++

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:37 am »

Interesting!  Did you do put that together, @Sighlass?

No, I just have friends in low places music wise.... plus I couldn't find my good mp3 copy of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (I think also featured in The Exorcist)...

I play a saxophone and can pick my way around a piano is about the only musical talent I have. I can't sing my way out of a paperbag, and my programing/mixing skills are considered novice at best.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:50:31 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:34:36 am »
So that's what symphony on LSD sounds like...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »
Wow!  That is SO neat! 

:da man:   

...uh, "woman"

hehe.............

There were three choirs and a boy choir as well as a full orchestra in the performance.  I sang high soprano, and we began with an enormous cluster chord triple forte (or more) on the word "CRUX!" (Cross, of course).  I was SO glad to be on one of the top notes so I could figure out quickly from the pitch pipe where my note was, and felt very sorry for the altos and tenors who were in the middle of that monstrous baby!

It was quite the experience singing that whole thing.  Penderecki was an awesome composer, but not exactly what you would call "tonal."  happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »
Ooooo............ just got a chance to listen to this!  AWESOME weirdness!

How amazing it is that all that sound can come from plain old acoustic stringed instruments!  (I think we can thank John Cage for expanding the timbre of standard instruments).

My bare feet were actually tingling on the floor from the bass dissonance at the beginning and the sub woofer right next to them!  :laugh:

Ain't creativity fun??!!

@Suppressed
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:56:23 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:38 pm »
Here's the St. Luke Passion....

! No longer available

Listen at 25 seconds and you'll hear the cluster chord on "Crux!"  After that, lots of vocal dissonance which took us FOREVER to learn!

Brings back great memories!  (I was a Soprano I in Choir I).

@Suppressed