Author Topic: Forgotten Southern Recipes  (Read 1694 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Forgotten Southern Recipes
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:03:19 pm »
Forgotten for a reason....

https://gardenandgun.com/slideshow/forgotten-southern-recipes/list/

From pear salad and tomato pudding to vinegar pie and bacon crackers, we're more than ready for these old-school classics to make a comeback.

Continued at link.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Forgotten Southern Recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:44:02 pm »
Miss you Mom....

Divinities

Meringue clouds studded with hunks of pecan, these delicious treats are bound to trigger a few sweet memories, especially among Southerners of a certain age.

and yes... pear halves with mayo and cheese was on the menu a few times a year (and yes I miss it too).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:06:38 pm »
I would also add Scrambled Yellow Crookneck Squash and Onions.  Scrambled until they were almost burnt. Growing up I always had a patch of squash growing.

Fig Preserves.

Fried Green Tomatoes.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 03:45:46 pm »
I would also add Scrambled Yellow Crookneck Squash and Onions.  Scrambled until they were almost burnt. Growing up I always had a patch of squash growing.

Fig Preserves.

Fried Green Tomatoes.

My father was a Louisiana River Rat.  Spent years in Texas as an adult.  A pastor that built or remodeled 24 churches in his life time.  Blue eyes, black curly hair, full of charm and drive.  Two ways to his heart: cornbread and fig preserves.  Once the church ladies figured that out, he could count on one or both every week.

I love fried green tomatoes.  I can eat my weight in them.  I had forgotten about tomato pudding.  Going to make some today!!   

My mother used to make shortbread all the time.  She was born British, immigrated here as a pre-teen so I don't know whether her shortbread was an English or Southern thing.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.