Author Topic: How to Make a Roux  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: How to Make a Roux
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2018, 03:43:14 pm »
After all this discussion about roux, I cooked my roux darker than I usually do, making a batch of biscuit gravy.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 05:06:50 pm »
After all this discussion about roux, I cooked my roux darker than I usually do, making a batch of biscuit gravy.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2018, 05:45:00 pm »
Not much to say about cream gravy.  I used homemade chorizo fat, butter, flower, salt n pepper. Cooked to a medium caramel color. Mixed in the milk in 4 portions. cooked until thickened.  And used it to bury my buttered, honeyed, chorizoed, and cheesed biscuits. And a final ample application of Louisiana hot sauce.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:49:06 pm by Elderberry »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »
Not much to say about cream gravy.  I used homemade chorizo fat, butter, flower, salt n pepper. Cooked to a medium caramel color. Mixed in the milk in 4 portions. cooked until thickened.  And used it to bury my buttered, honeyed, chorizoed, and cheesed biscuits. And a final ample application of Louisiana hot sauce.

Sounds awful.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2018, 09:09:37 pm »
Sounds awful.

I was going to say "complicated", but you could be right.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2018, 09:20:29 pm »
Sounds awful.

Naw... Sounds Cajun... Which always sounds awful, till you taste it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2018, 09:22:39 pm »
Naw... Sounds Cajun... Which always sounds awful, till you taste it.

Listen, that list of ingredients all goes together.... except the honey.  That's where the screw up happened.  And you will never convince me otherwise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2018, 09:28:25 pm »
Listen, that list of ingredients all goes together.... except the honey.  That's where the screw up happened.  And you will never convince me otherwise.

Oh, I dunno... A little bit of sweet does crazy, cool, and unpredictable things... My spaghetti sauce recently started getting a half a cup of honey added to it - Made a remarkable improvement to what I figured was already mastered. You can't even taste it - It just makes the tomatoes blush. Totally different taste. Way mobedda

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Oh, I dunno... A little bit of sweet does crazy, cool, and unpredictable things... My spaghetti sauce recently started getting a half a cup of honey added to it - Made a remarkable improvement to what I figured was already mastered. You can't even taste it - It just makes the tomatoes blush. Totally different taste. Way mobedda

There's a saying around here that I've seen used rather frequently and on this occasion I am going to borrow it because it totally fits the situation:

NOPE

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:51 pm »
I usually just go with  butter and blackstrap molasses rather than honey, on my biscuits, and without everything else but I was all out, and I hankered to have plenty of stuff under a blanket of gravy.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:44 am »

Lol. We were in St. Augustine this August and managed to do the St. Augustine Distillery tour and a tour of whatever winery they have there. The tasting room coordinator at the winery had a great saying about what we like that others don’t: Don’t yuck my yum. I thought it was clever but then again, I had just gotten off of the very generous distillery tour.
I stand with Roosgirl.