Author Topic: How to Make a Roux  (Read 8058 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Re: How to Make a Roux
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 01:26:46 am »
But your mama knew how to cook, right?

PS Sorry about the fish thing.

She knew some basics, but grew up dirt poor. They mainly had beans and cornbread every night. I’m a foodie but hubby and I have certain early retirement goals. That meant eating like I want meant learning how to cook well. I’ve invested in a few pieces that have really paid off: stainless Cuisinart cookware, Wusthof knives, Lodge cast iron, and Aldi’s enamel lined cast iron. I also grow a lot on our mere 1/4 acre. It doesn’t sound like a lot of land, but I pack a lot of food into a little space.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 01:28:01 am »
@RoosGirl Don’t feel sorry about the fish thing. I’ve prepared rainbow trout straight out of the stream. I’ll take it any day over steak.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 01:34:32 am »
She knew some basics, but grew up dirt poor. They mainly had beans and cornbread every night. I’m a foodie but hubby and I have certain early retirement goals. That meant eating like I want meant learning how to cook well. I’ve invested in a few pieces that have really paid off: stainless Cuisinart cookware, Wusthof knives, Lodge cast iron, and Aldi’s enamel lined cast iron. I also grow a lot on our mere 1/4 acre. It doesn’t sound like a lot of land, but I pack a lot of food into a little space.

I have the stainless Cuisinart cookware, have had it about 4 years now I think.  I like it at first, but every single fry and sautee pan has warped and I've been super careful to let them cool prior to rinsing and I never go higher than medium high.  I contacted them about the warranty but they wanted to me send pictures of the warp; I'm not really sure how to do that.  It's not a warp you can see, just the pan doesn't sit flat on the stove top so it doesn't heat evenly.

I haven't been to an Aldi, will have to check out their enamel cookware.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:51 am »
@RoosGirl Don’t feel sorry about the fish thing. I’ve prepared rainbow trout straight out of the stream. I’ll take it any day over steak.

I'd rather eat vegetarian than fish.  Hate the stuff.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 01:56:57 am »
I have the stainless Cuisinart cookware, have had it about 4 years now I think.  I like it at first, but every single fry and sautee pan has warped and I've been super careful to let them cool prior to rinsing and I never go higher than medium high.  I contacted them about the warranty but they wanted to me send pictures of the warp; I'm not really sure how to do that.  It's not a warp you can see, just the pan doesn't sit flat on the stove top so it doesn't heat evenly.

Aldi’s enamel lined cast iron rivals Le Cruiset. Lodge cast iron? There isn’t another out there like them. Cuisinart stainless I use for simmering and boiling: rice, reheating leftovers, etc. I leave frying and most sautéing for cast iron. I get the warped pan issue, though.  I have an anodized Calphalon kettle with which I make huge batches of sauce and soups for canning and freezing. The bottom is warped and on my old electric stove it would have been hell. It’s not too bad on the gas stove, though.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:34 am »
Aldi’s enamel lined cast iron rivals Le Cruiset. Lodge cast iron? There isn’t another out there like them. Cuisinart stainless I use for simmering and boiling: rice, reheating leftovers, etc. I leave frying and most sautéing for cast iron. I get the warped pan issue, though.  I have an anodized Calphalon kettle with which I make huge batches of sauce and soups for canning and freezing. The bottom is warped and on my old electric stove it would have been hell. It’s not too bad on the gas stove, though.

I have some lodge fry pans, but what I discovered is that the newer Lodge stuff they cheaped out and didn't bother to mill smooth.  So I started hitting antique stores and found some old cast iron fry pans from when they used to mill them after forming.  Such a huge difference.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 02:12:03 am »
For eff's sake. How can you whack jobs get two pages in a couple hours talking about flavorless gravy? WTF?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:57 am »
For eff's sake. How can you whack jobs get two pages in a couple hours talking about flavorless gravy? WTF?

Hey, how about you eff off into the corner and talk to yourself about cars, pointy boots, granny panties, Preparation H or whatever the bleep kink you're into these days and leave the women to chat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 02:19:41 am »
Maillard reaction & Dark roux for Gumbo

https://foodcrumbles.com/maillard-reaction-dark-roux-gumbo/

---The main trick for making a good gumbo is to make a dark dark roux, really dark. It’s relatively simple but packs the gumbo with a lot of flavour. Skipping this dark roux really makes the dish a lot less flavourful. Since this dark roux is so important, it deserves its own post, serving as a great introduction to the Maillard reaction (you’ll read more on that later in the post).

Making a dark roux

The basis for a gumbo is definitely the dark roux. Once this has been made most of the flavour development is done, the rest is ‘easy’. Making a dark roux is not very complicated, the most important ingredient is simply patience.---

---The course instructors taught us to keep up heating until it was well darker than a peanut butter colour. My experience is that you generally think it’s finished too early, so continue going just a little longer (but black definitely is too much!).

Dark roux = not thickening

Most of you are probably familiar with using a roux for thickening sauces for a pie or a lasagna. This dark roux starts very similarly, but has a very different function than the so-called white roux.

The white roux is used purely to thicken sauces, it barely contributes any flavour. This is because the flour and fat are only heat enough for the flour to thicken the water mix. Once it’s thickened up, the heat is turned off.

The dark roux though, keeps heating at this point. Because of this continued high intensity heating the flour is ‘cooked’, what’s more, the starch in the flour (which causes the thickening) will start breaking down. In other words, it cannot thicken as much anymore!

Maillard reaction: browning & flavour development

So if the dark roux doesn’t contribute to thickening it must contribute elsewhere. This is where the flavour component comes in. The proteins in the butter and the sugars in the flour will start reacting together because of the prolonged heat. This is the so-called Maillard reaction, a chemical reaction which leads to the formation of brown molecules (hence the brown dark roux) and a lot of different flavour aromas.

A Maillard reaction occurs when a protein (more specifically an amine, which can be found in proteins, peptides and amino acids, the building blocks of proteins) and a reducing sugar (for example glucose or fructose). Flour contains both proteins (one of the types is gluten) and reducing sugars (flour will always contain some sugars, even though most of the flour consists of starch). The high temperatures of the roux greatly speed up this reaction.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 02:23:07 am »
Hey, how about you eff off into the corner and talk to yourself about cars, pointy boots, granny panties, Preparation H or whatever the bleep kink you're into these days and leave the women to chat.

Take this bucket of roux and shove it up your ass......

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 02:26:29 am »
Take this bucket of roux and shove it up your ass......

Everyone knows that roux isn't clear.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 02:28:55 am »
Everyone knows that roux isn't clear.   *****rollingeyes*****

A Chinese roux is. They call it a Woux.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 03:32:00 am »
You can also thicken sauces or make a clearer gravy by using cornstarch mixed with a little water..never just add the cornstarch, you have to make it a liquid w/water then add to your sauce stirring constantly..I use this method when I make beef and noodles or similar dishes

You can do the same thing with corn starch mixed in cool water.

Hah, yeah, didn't see Myst's reply first.  Just make sure you use cool water to mix with the corn starch.

Yeah... Still working on that.... Turns out lumpy every time. :( Funny that, as that's how my Mamma makes roast beef gravy... She's showed me over and again, but I can't get it to work.  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 03:43:11 am »
I have the stainless Cuisinart cookware, have had it about 4 years now I think. 

@RoosGirl
@goodwithagun

That is one place I am sorely lacking...

I had bought old-skool Revere-ware copper-bottomed stainless, that of course, my ex got in the divorce... Evidently their 512 (?) line has turned to crap. And I have been through several sets of copper bottomed stainless cookware since moving here, and I am unhappy with them all.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »
@RoosGirl
@goodwithagun

That is one place I am sorely lacking...

I had bought old-skool Revere-ware copper-bottomed stainless, that of course, my ex got in the divorce... Evidently their 512 (?) line has turned to crap. And I have been through several sets of copper bottomed stainless cookware since moving here, and I am unhappy with them all.

@roamer_1 The Cuisinart pans have great reviews on Amazon, but because of the warping problem I've had with them I wouldn't recommend them.  I do have a big Tramontina stock pot that I really like, but no fry or sautee pans, you may give them a try.  That stock pot is the heaviest bottom pot I've ever used and I suspect if the fry pans are of similar quality that you'd be happy with them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 01:20:33 pm »
@roamer_1 The Cuisinart pans have great reviews on Amazon, but because of the warping problem I've had with them I wouldn't recommend them.  I do have a big Tramontina stock pot that I really like, but no fry or sautee pans, you may give them a try.  That stock pot is the heaviest bottom pot I've ever used and I suspect if the fry pans are of similar quality that you'd be happy with them.

@RoosGirl
Thanks for that. I will go have a look... REALLY miss that Revereware - The comparatively stout handle is a big deal I have monster meatgrabbers, and find it hard to grasp a pot to turn it say, into a colander, with fancy-pants skinny ass handles.

And it really bothers me having had to throw out so many pots - And this is not wally world crap... this is decent $150-250 sets... All junk.  **nononono*

Offline thackney

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 02:23:12 pm »

Upside down on a countertop??
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2018, 02:41:36 pm »
@RoosGirl
Thanks for that. I will go have a look... REALLY miss that Revereware - The comparatively stout handle is a big deal I have monster meatgrabbers, and find it hard to grasp a pot to turn it say, into a colander, with fancy-pants skinny ass handles.

And it really bothers me having had to throw out so many pots - And this is not wally world crap... this is decent $150-250 sets... All junk.  **nononono*

I have several pieces of my Mom's Revereware..they have to be 60-70 years old and still going strong.

I would recommend Wolgang Puck's cookware...I received a complete set about 15 years ago for Christmas and it is just wonderful..looks new every time I take it out of the dishwasher.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »

Take a steel ruler and hold it across the bottom so it makes the maximum gap due to the warp. And then take your picture. If you have feeler gauges, you could measure how much warpage you have across the bottom.

All this talk about cookware made me think of what I've been using. I have a 10 in and a 12 in cast iron skillet that I go to. I have several non-stick skillets I never use. Or I step up in size to my several cast aluminum pots. My sauce pots are a varied collection of stainless steel, all of differing brands.

I got to thinking that I've collected several hand hammered copper sauce pots that I've never used as the tin linings were so worn. I think its past time I learn how to re-tin those pots so I can give them a try.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:47 pm »
I have several pieces of my Mom's Revereware..they have to be 60-70 years old and still going strong.

I would recommend Wolgang Puck's cookware...I received a complete set about 15 years ago for Christmas and it is just wonderful..looks new every time I take it out of the dishwasher.

@mystery-ak

Thanks Myst - I will look into that. I have pretty much left off of stainless altogether, leaning heavily upon my cast iron (which I probably always will do), and on my camp enamel-ware, which stragely enough, has held up to me for a decade or two... This latest set, I have already lost the large skillet, which the copper separated from the stainless, and a 3qt sauce pan, which separated at the seam, or split down the side otherwise... Literally the two pots I would use the most are already gone... and the set was bought just this spring...
 9999hair out0000 *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2018, 08:03:18 pm »
Thanks Rouxgirl...  :whistle:
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:46 pm »
Take a steel ruler and hold it across the bottom so it makes the maximum gap due to the warp. And then take your picture. If you have feeler gauges, you could measure how much warpage you have across the bottom.

@Elderberry
Maybe backlit, for the sake of the pic - no light should be able to pass between the straight edge and the pot.... If there is light, it's bent, period. Probably the easiest way to show it for warranty.
@RoosGirl

All this talk about cookware made me think of what I've been using. I have a 10 in and a 12 in cast iron skillet that I go to.

Add in a griddle and a big enameled cast-iron dutch oven (without the legs), and i'd be perfectly the same. There are a few things I would prefer a stainless skillet, but for the most part, cast iron is superior.

I have several non-stick skillets I never use. Or I step up in size to my several cast aluminum pots. My sauce pots are a varied collection of stainless steel, all of differing brands.

No coatings at all for me - Except enameled steel... No aluminum ether. Everything in stock pots and such are enameled steel, and that stuff (along with my camp-ware) has already outlasted about everything.

My cast is all good... Reclaimed and very old. It amazes me how few people realize the real treasure that rusty old cast iron represents. A trip to the sandblasting booth, and a little seasoning ritual, and you have a piece that will last another 100 years... maybe indefinitely. I have never in my life worn out a piece of cast iron, nor have I seen it done.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 08:49:13 pm »

My cast is all good... Reclaimed and very old. It amazes me how few people realize the real treasure that rusty old cast iron represents. A trip to the sandblasting booth, and a little seasoning ritual, and you have a piece that will last another 100 years... maybe indefinitely. I have never in my life worn out a piece of cast iron, nor have I seen it done.

That's how I got my 12 inch skillet. A coworker had rusted up all his skillets and knew I had a sandblaster. I cleaned up all his skillets and did a first seasoning on all of them. And I got my pick for the effort.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2018, 08:54:13 pm »
That's how I got my 12 inch skillet. A coworker had rusted up all his skillets and knew I had a sandblaster. I cleaned up all his skillets and did a first seasoning on all of them. And I got my pick for the effort.

Yep... And two of mine were given to me because they had been stored long and gone rancid... LOL! Throw it in a campfire for a while... nothing survives that... Let it cool naturally, scuff it out, and re-season. Let's see ya do that with T-fal...  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:54:49 pm by roamer_1 »