Author Topic: How to Make a Roux  (Read 8029 times)

Offline RoosGirl

How to Make a Roux
« on: October 14, 2018, 05:53:50 pm »
https://gardenandgun.com/articles/how-to-make-a-roux/

“Roux thickens sauces, adds depth to braises, and holds Cajun dishes together,” says chef Isaac Toups, owner of Toups’ Meatery and Toups’ South. “Half the recipes I know begin with ‘Make a roux.’ If you master only one thing in this book, make it roux. Roux almost always has a 1:1 ratio of fat to flour. Most of my recipes call for ¼ cup of each. You cook them together over medium heat, stirring almost constantly. You’ll want to use a thick-bottomed pot like a Dutch oven or a cast iron skillet because you need even heat. The biggest enemy of a roux (other than not paying attention to it) is a pan with a hot spot.”

“The darker a roux gets, the less power it has to thicken a sauce. I believe that’s from the denaturing of proteins in the flour as it cooks, but you’d have to ask Alton Brown about that,” says Toups.

Continued at link.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: How to Make a Roux
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:54:09 pm »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:59:01 pm »
Mostly I've only made a roux when making cream gravy.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:09:57 pm »
Mostly I've only made a roux when making cream gravy.

That or cheese sauce for mac & cheese.  Although I do have a recipe that uses the Brick Roux for making enchilada sauce that is really good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »
Actually, you make a roux for turkey or beef gravy too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 12:04:13 am »
@roamer_1

Thanks @RoosGirl - I have mastered the roux, pretty much. I have also pretty well mastered eyeballing how much flour to add to a pan of stir fry to soak up the oil and later add water or milk for a nice gravy.

Another thickener I have come to rely on, believe it or not, is crappy freeze dried potato flakes...
I have some pretty good instant potatoes I pick up from the Costco for doin up shepherds pie and such... But I also keep a box of crappy store brand around for thickening...

If real mashed potatoes come out a bit watery, throw a big pinch of those flakes in there and watch it firm up... Same for a watery stew, or rice dish, or stir fry... The nice part is being able to add after-the-fact, and even if your dish is not potato based, if it is busy enough, let it simmer a while, and you ain't gonna taste it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:15:52 am »
You can also thicken sauces or make a clearer gravy by using cornstarch mixed with a little water..never just add the cornstarch, you have to make it a liquid w/water then add to your sauce stirring constantly..I use this method when I make beef and noodles or similar dishes
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:10 am »
Thanks @RoosGirl - I have mastered the roux, pretty much. I have also pretty well mastered eyeballing how much flour to add to a pan of stir fry to soak up the oil and later add water or milk for a nice gravy.

Another thickener I have come to rely on, believe it or not, is crappy freeze dried potato flakes...
I have some pretty good instant potatoes I pick up from the Costco for doin up shepherds pie and such... But I also keep a box of crappy store brand around for thickening...

If real mashed potatoes come out a bit watery, throw a big pinch of those flakes in there and watch it firm up... Same for a watery stew, or rice dish, or stir fry... The nice part is being able to add after-the-fact, and even if your dish is not potato based, if it is busy enough, let it simmer a while, and you ain't gonna taste it.

You can do the same thing with corn starch mixed in cool water.

Hah, yeah, didn't see Myst's reply first.  Just make sure you use cool water to mix with the corn starch.

My fool proof ratio for fat/flour/liquid is 1 Tbsp fat: 1 Tbsp flour : 1 cup liquid.  Now, if you want a thick sauce or gravy your ratio can go to 1 Tbsp fat: 1 1/2 Tbsp flour: 1 cup liquid.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:20:16 am by RoosGirl »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:59 am »
Why make it when you can buy it?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 12:32:38 am »

You ain't right, son.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 12:34:57 am »
Spent my life in SE Texas and SW Louisiana.  There are about 7 or 8 ways the olde timey cajun women made their Roux.

Dated a girl from Ville Platte in college.   Her Grandma made a 17 meat Gumbo.  Was really enjoying it, until I couldn't think of 17 meats.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 12:38:44 am »
You ain't right, son.

What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? That shit taste great on everything!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 12:43:57 am »

One of the most perplexing culinary mysteries of all time?

How a rancid smelling burnt gravy can morph into ultra tasty gumbo.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:06 am »

That's what people who can't cook well say.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:13 am »
Spent my life in SE Texas and SW Louisiana.  There are about 7 or 8 ways the olde timey cajun women made their Roux.

Dated a girl from Ville Platte in college.   Her Grandma made a 17 meat Gumbo.  Was really enjoying it, until I couldn't think of 17 meats.

That's what I was thinking as I was reading.   :2barf:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:51:36 am »
1. Nutrea
2. Possum
3. Squirrel
4. Coon
5. Gator
6. Mullet
7. Rabbit
8. Chicken
9. Pork
10. Beef
11. Muskrat
12. Bear
13. Armadillo
14. Beaver
15. Venison
16. Frog
17. Horse

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 12:54:44 am »

Shrimp, oyster, gar, dove, turkey too maybe.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:36 am »

Oh honey, no. Just . . . no.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 12:58:37 am »

I bet you are a bad ass with a microwave.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 12:58:59 am »
That or cheese sauce for mac & cheese.  Although I do have a recipe that uses the Brick Roux for making enchilada sauce that is really good.

The cheese sauce base of fat, flour, and milk is not a roux but rather a bechemel. Same principle, and same tasty, tasty results. Mmmmm.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:03 am »
Oh honey, no. Just . . . no.

He's from up north.  His mama didn't know how to cook.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 01:01:56 am »
Turtle
Snake
Crawdad
Crab

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 01:04:49 am »
The cheese sauce base of fat, flour, and milk is not a roux but rather a bechemel. Same principle, and same tasty, tasty results. Mmmmm.

I think the roux is the fat/flour mix and becomes a bechemel when the milk is added.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 01:16:15 am »
He's from up north.  His mama didn't know how to cook.

I’m from up north and I no longer eat meat (I do eat fish), but I damn well know how to break down a chicken and then fry it, stew it with dumplings, or make the best damn Jewish penicillin you’ve ever tasted.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 01:19:11 am »
I’m from up north and I no longer eat meat (I do eat fish), but I damn well know how to break down a chicken and then fry it, stew it with dumplings, or make the best damn Jewish penicillin you’ve ever tasted.

But your mama knew how to cook, right?

PS Sorry about the fish thing.