Author Topic: Effective Game Killing  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Effective Game Killing
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:14:54 pm »
Terminal Ballistics Research

To become a successful hunter, one must understand the principles of effective game killing. Those of an anti-hunting nature may like to portray hunting as being a brutal and negative expression of mankind, however, hunting is a part of who we are. It is all very well to push vegan ideals in societies where food can be imported as quickly as an international courier consignment can be created. But we must never lose sight of the fact that many humans living in both primitive (to us) and modern society are reliant on meat as are the millions of carnivores which live on this planet. Perish the thought of a protestor heading to Papa New Guinea or the Amazon to ‘convert the natives’ to tofu and facebook.

We are what we are. Yet it seems that accepting who we are with the greatest sense of compassion is a most difficult challenge for the human race, difficult enough to bring about great wars.

We hunt, just like cats (of all sizes) and wolves, we are just like any other predator and most definitely share the same characteristics as some omnivores including other primates along with the humble pig. Yet there is one major difference between ourselves and other omnivores and predators - we have great intellect. This has also created what might best be described as unnatural guilt in that we experience this emotion in a way that other animals do not in their Zen like state. The bible attempts to portray the same in its own manner of speaking with the story of Eve and the apple. You do not need to be of a religious mind to see how intellect and guilt are tied together. If a deer was to step on its fawn, the fawn would cry and the mother would feel immediate empathy along with what we might call a natural guilt which acts as a preventative.  Animals do feel guilt - just ask your dog who dug that hole in the yard to see for yourself. Humans on the other hand have the capacity to carry guilt beyond that of animals due to intellect. This can be useful but also at times damaging. We can harbor guilt that becomes self -destructive or in our anti-hunting example, we can simply harbor guilt to the point that we reject our very being and harbor hatred for our own species.

On the flip side, as humans we also have the ability to experience great love and compassion. We can utilize intellect, empathy, love and compassion to navigate our way through this world. And it is because of these traits that we can become more effective at hunting. Have you ever seen a domestic cat hunt birds or mice? Small cats can be very cruel at times and many of you will have witnessed this. As humans, even though some folk may think we are un-evolved by continuing to hunt in this modern age, the opposite can be true in that we can use our intellect and compassion to make us far better hunters than our fellow predators.

Effective game killing is based on empathy. We wish to hunt and utilize the flesh of another animal. Empathy drives us to find better or what we call more humane ways to achieve this. We do not want to live on whey, soy or tofu protein because we as hunters accept who we are and we learn to accept that we too will pass from our flesh one day. We want to hunt because it feels right. The feeling can at times physically burn in our heart and the area of our solar plexus. It is natural and healthy. In fact as hunters, we can become more infinitely aware of our natural place within the universe. This connection can at times be far deeper than simply listening to native American music on youtube while burning sage. It can take us deeper than the ramblings of a church minister or monk - regardless of the fact that any of these practices can be of great benefit to us for our own personal reasons.

When we hunt, we face and accept who we are while at the same time feeling a deep connection to the land and animals of our world. It is a direct experience; we are engaged in such a way that cannot be put into words. For those who do not understand this, you may be able to perceive a glimmer of the intensity of this sensation when watching a documentary showing the intense concentration of a lioness as she prepares to attack. However, even this is a very poor example as again, the viewers perspective is indirect.

Hunting is not for everybody - we are all unique. This is especially important now that the population of our planet is so high. But for those who do feel the calling, it is one that cannot easily be resisted. The man who lives in an apartment, wants to hunt but never hunts due to fears of rejection from his wife is no better off than a caged animal. There is no nobility in denying this aspect of ones self. Such a man should at the very least seek to engage himself in a combat sport so that he can in one way hone his predatory skills and fulfill his nature in a healthy manner. Better still, he might stand up to his wife, buy himself a rifle and be the man she always wanted but was too afraid to date out of her own fears of rejection. Compassion must start with the self.

Those of us who do hunt, find we are at our best when we are constantly honing and refining our skills. This very process defines both the hunter and warrior protector.

The information ahead will help you to become a better hunter. We will start with a brief history of game killing and then move on to the subjects of how bullets kill, what fast killing actually means and then look at shot placement. The discussion will then lead into more technical detail with regards to how the shape of a bullet tip (meplat) affects terminal performance.

More: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Effective Game Killing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:48:59 pm »
Good article. Thanks.

Since most of us don't get to hunt near often enough or eat, sleep and breath the terminal ballistics, wind drift and drop of multiple cartridges to be truly comfortable with more than 1 in the field;

2 Rifles are really all the well equipped hunter needs.

A 30-06 and a .375 H&H magnum, because the trajectory of a 180 grain '06 and a 270 grain .375 are virtually identical.

No need to juggle numbers, (and be mistaken) through your scope, about where to hold.

The '06 will take care of anything worth eating in North America with the .375 H&H well capable of stopping a big bear charge.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »
I use sticks of dynamite. It kills and also cleans and butchers. It can also be used for fishing.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:03 pm »
I use sticks of dynamite. It kills and also cleans and butchers. It can also be used for fishing.

I guess it must be easier to get these days than C4 or Semtec?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:48:35 am »
Good article. Thanks.

Since most of us don't get to hunt near often enough or eat, sleep and breath the terminal ballistics, wind drift and drop of multiple cartridges to be truly comfortable with more than 1 in the field;

2 Rifles are really all the well equipped hunter needs.

A 30-06 and a .375 H&H magnum, because the trajectory of a 180 grain '06 and a 270 grain .375 are virtually identical.

No need to juggle numbers, (and be mistaken) through your scope, about where to hold.

The '06 will take care of anything worth eating in North America with the .375 H&H well capable of stopping a big bear charge.

NOPE

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:43 am »
I guess it must be easier to get these days than C4 or Semtec?

Well I make my own. Old family recipe. If you to would like to make your own dynamite feel free to visit my website www.blowingshitup.org. You can find all sorts of ideas not only for the use of dynamite in your daily life, opening stuck pickle jar lids, I have great holiday ideas for decorating your sticks.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 03:07:28 am »
NOPE

When it comes to guns Everyone has their own opinion, and none of them are wrong.

Mine are for the general guy with a city job/wife/kids/etc who gets to hunt Occasionally, not the fella who lives out 'thar' and takes to the field like a walk in the park.

It's just easier than Hoping you got the drop at 200 to 300 yards right because you've memorized them for all the different calibers you own.

If you want to argue calibers and loads, and I could afford it, I'd take a 500 Nitro Double Rifle into the Alaskan alders after big brownie.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:10:07 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 05:01:51 am »
When it comes to guns Everyone has their own opinion, and none of them are wrong.

Mine are for the general guy with a city job/wife/kids/etc who gets to hunt Occasionally, not the fella who lives out 'thar' and takes to the field like a walk in the park.

It's just easier than Hoping you got the drop at 200 to 300 yards right because you've memorized them for all the different calibers you own.

If you want to argue calibers and loads, and I could afford it, I'd take a 500 Nitro Double Rifle into the Alaskan alders after big brownie.

I get what you are saying, but your conclusion is biased toward your situation and environment, that is all I mean.

A feller that lives in and amongst close farms might be better off with what I would call a varmint gun, or a fairly low velocity thing like a .45 Colt caliber lever action...

And high powered (velocity) rifles are about useless in brush - Again, a carbine, most notably a 30/30 would be more applicable.

And on the other end of things, an aught-six is less likely when going after antelope, or mountain goat - I would much prefer a fast, high-powered, low caliber rifle, like a 7mm mag - It can make the distance, but the low caliber will leave you some meat... A bighorn you might be in the ballpark, but I would still rather the 7mm, just for the sheer reach...

An aught-six is a great all around gun for long range deer and alright for elk... But I could no more live with but two rifles than I could with but a minivan.

Just for hunting, my minimum:
A 12ga pump
A 22LR semiauto
A fair sized carbine for brush (was .30/30, now .45/70)
Something 30.06, .308, to 300Wmag, scoped (the bigger the better)
Something like a 7mmMag, scoped, and maybe the same high power, small cal theory in something shorter range (.243)

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 05:35:40 am »
@roamer_1

Everything you said makes Perfect sense and I wouldn't argue with a word of it.

1 question.

What would be your preferred 12 ga load for thin skinned dangerous game, including the ones on two legs?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 05:50:40 am »
@roamer_1

Everything you said makes Perfect sense and I wouldn't argue with a word of it.

1 question.

What would be your preferred 12 ga load for thin skinned dangerous game, including the ones on two legs?

LOL! Umm... Mine is not a professional opinion, considering the game - My method in that regard is adapted by convenience and which weapon I happen to grab.

12ga sawed off pump.
The one over the door is a short gun rigged for varmints ... so birdshot (prolly #7)
The one by the bed is the one in my kit, a true sawed-off/pistol-grip... which is rigged for griz... #00/slug alternating. with #00 leading.

There is some inadvertent justice in that... If someone means to be an @sshole, at least have the good grace not to wake me up.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:51:51 am by roamer_1 »

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 05:52:44 am »
LOL! Umm... Mine is not a professional opinion, considering the game - My method in that regard is adapted by convenience and which weapon I happen to grab.

12ga sawed off pump.
The one over the door is a short gun rigged for varmints ... so birdshot (prolly #7)
The one by the bed is the one in my kit, a true sawed-off/pistol-gri[... which is rigged for griz... #00/slug alternating. with #00 leading.

There is some inadvertent justice in that... If someone means to be an @sshole, at least have the good grace not to wake me up.  :shrug:

888high58888

Just thought you might find this interesting if you haven't considered it before.

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/1-buck

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 06:14:23 am »
! No longer available

"A lot of people ask us why we don't use fly spray?"

"Well, where's the sport in that?"

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 06:18:13 am »

Just thought you might find this interesting if you haven't considered it before.

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/1-buck

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Thanks, and I get the idea... But like I said, home defense is a secondary issue for me.
The gun above the door is, like I said, for varmints... I am pretty tight up on my neighbor to the east, and there's everybody's pets running around... So for skunk and fox, coon, mink, weasel, and possum, The birdshot is enough, and my neighbor ain't as pissed if I pepper his house... which is also why it is a short gun. I want it to spread and fall quick.

If a feller comes to give me grief, it may not be optimal, but I am pretty sure it'll do.

And the same thing goes with my kit gun... I don't have to be concerned with what's in it, because what's in it is always in it... Though I am still fighting with myself (all these years) with whether to lead with #00 and keep all the slugs toward the back...

But one thing I am sure of... If I do get into trouble with a griz, I am pretty positive that I would be mighty disappointed with myself when I found out I forgot to take the #1 out of it...

So nope... I like my ruts, and as a creature of habit, I will keep everything as it is. It's simple and fool proof... And considering the particular fool...
 :beer:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:18:49 am by roamer_1 »

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 07:02:22 am »
@To-Whose-Benefit?

Thanks, and I get the idea... But like I said, home defense is a secondary issue for me.
The gun above the door is, like I said, for varmints... I am pretty tight up on my neighbor to the east, and there's everybody's pets running around... So for skunk and fox, coon, mink, weasel, and possum, The birdshot is enough, and my neighbor ain't as pissed if I pepper his house... which is also why it is a short gun. I want it to spread and fall quick.

If a feller comes to give me grief, it may not be optimal, but I am pretty sure it'll do.

And the same thing goes with my kit gun... I don't have to be concerned with what's in it, because what's in it is always in it... Though I am still fighting with myself (all these years) with whether to lead with #00 and keep all the slugs toward the back...

But one thing I am sure of... If I do get into trouble with a griz, I am pretty positive that I would be mighty disappointed with myself when I found out I forgot to take the #1 out of it...

So nope... I like my ruts, and as a creature of habit, I will keep everything as it is. It's simple and fool proof... And considering the particular fool...
 :beer:

Heh. I asked 'cause with the slightly smaller pellet diameter of #1 you get More shot per round in the case, and appx 1/3 more terminal mass, weight, and shredding power on the beastie.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 07:26:49 am »
Heh. I asked 'cause with the slightly smaller pellet diameter of #1 you get More shot per round in the case, and appx 1/3 more terminal mass, weight, and shredding power on the beastie.

Right. But not on a griz.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
Right. But not on a griz.

Oh Noes! I'm the one supposed to be playing Elmer Keith to your Jack O'Conor!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 01:25:52 pm »
What I got out of the article was the affects of velocity, bullet diameter, meplats, and aiming points for instant drops.

I haven't hunted anything larger than mule deer, white tail, and hogs. I hunted for many years with a Rem 700 .243 Short Action. After a hunt in Mason, where I took 4 deer, I decided to change calibers. The first deer, a head shot.  Another afternoon I shot the other 3 coming singularly to a scrape. I shot all 3 with basically a varmint bullet in the boiler room. The 90gr Nosler ballistic tip. They all went about 25 yds before dropping, leaving no blood trail as none of the bullets exited.

The next year I used my 98Mauser in 8mm. I shot a nice buck in a flooded river bottom. Same shot. Ran 40 yds. Massive blood trail, even in a half foot of water. Blood sprayed on the weeds with every exhalation.

I then rebarelled my Rem to 6.5x47 Lapua. I shoot a 130gr Berger and I'm satisfied with its performance on deer and hogs. I may even hunt with its smaller brother, the 6.5Grendel, as I can also shoot a 130gr Berger designed for shooting out of an AR.

From the article, I see I'm shooting too far back to impact the autonomic plexus.

Now my son may agree with the 2 guns, except his smaller is his Rem700 in 300WinMag. He doesn't have gun #2 yet. He's been looking for a Ruger 1-H Tropical Falling Block 375H&H for the longest time.