Poll

Prior to the final vote, were you aware of Kavanaugh's positions on things like the 4th Amendment (believes the government has the right to spy on us without warrant), 2nd Amendment (believes concealed carry is not protected under the 2nd Amendment), etc

You may only select up to 3 options.

Author Topic: Kavanaugh's Positions  (Read 2860 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Kavanaugh's Positions
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:59:47 pm »
Now that this is over and all this mostly was about the Ford accusations, I wonder what people's thoughts would have been if we had a confirmation hearing based on the issues.

Expanding on the note above, areas where Conservatives usually would take issue with him.

Supports warrantless wiretapping.
Believes that the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect concealed carry or various weapon's classes.
Supports 'executive immunity'
Agrees with John Roberts ruling on Obamacare
On Abortion- Called 'Roe' settled law.

He falls into the more moderate/liberal line of thinking on many issues.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:10:08 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline thackney

Re: Kavanaugh's Positions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:11:18 pm »
...Judge Brett Kavanaugh has even gone so far as to contend that banning assault rifles would be akin to violating one of our most fundamental rights.

“A ban on a class of arms is not an ‘incidental’ regulation,” he wrote in 2011 dissenting opinion as a judge on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. “It is equivalent to a ban on a category of speech.”

The case, known as Heller II, sprang from The District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the U.S. Supreme Court knocked down Washington, D.C.’s blanket ban on handguns in the home....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/brett-kavanaugh-thinks-banning-assault-rifles-would-be-like-banning-speech
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:15:20 pm »
...Judge Brett Kavanaugh has even gone so far as to contend that banning assault rifles would be akin to violating one of our most fundamental rights.

“A ban on a class of arms is not an ‘incidental’ regulation,” he wrote in 2011 dissenting opinion as a judge on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. “It is equivalent to a ban on a category of speech.”

The case, known as Heller II, sprang from The District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the U.S. Supreme Court knocked down Washington, D.C.’s blanket ban on handguns in the home....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/brett-kavanaugh-thinks-banning-assault-rifles-would-be-like-banning-speech

But he wasn't for supporting larger capacity magazines, didn't see 'concealed carry' as a 2nd Amendment right, and "....he does not regard the Second Amendment as creating an absolute right to have or carry a gun....."

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/judge-kavanaugh-and-the-second-amendment/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:15:31 pm »
My option was not there.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:17:09 pm »
My option was not there.

I added 'other' for you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »
It's likely to be exactly as @roamer_1 has stated: we got two Kennedy's for the price of a Scalia.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 06:38:39 pm »
But he wasn't for supporting larger capacity magazines, didn't see 'concealed carry' as a 2nd Amendment right, and "....he does not regard the Second Amendment as creating an absolute right to have or carry a gun....."

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/judge-kavanaugh-and-the-second-amendment/

As I read what he actually wrote, and not what someone thinks he means, I do not find agreement with your claims above.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:03:04 pm »
Oh. No. We shulda tried harder to elect Pres. Evan McMuffin, then.

Perfection, or Nothing
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:41:53 am »
Kavanaugh's Positions:

Missionary
Dogie style

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:45:52 am »
He clerked for Anthony Kennedy and numerous times, I have seen in the media that he follows that mold to a degree.  So, that's kind of what I'm going with. Roe V. Wade? I have no idea. He's no Amy Coney Barret. I think he was picked to because he was confirmable as difficult as that was. It shouldn't have been such a big deal.