Author Topic: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael  (Read 9502 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:56 pm »
The weather whores are once again inflating the seriousness of the storm to gin up ratings.   A tweeker on CNN says this will be a high cat 3 when it hits Panama City.   

This turkey will be lucky to get to a Cat one.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why you don't get info from or make decisions based on commentaries from those who simply do not know what will happen. As a hurricane veteran of over 7 decades, I know too well that hurricanes often don't pan out as you might think. I've gotten by relatively unscathed by hurricanes that appeared to be killers and taken terrible and dangerous hits by those that looked fairly innocuous as they were approaching. I don't take ANY hurricane lightly ... EVER.

Edited to add: I don't take tropical storms lightly either. Even tropical depressions can be devastating. Speaking from experience.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:14:01 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
@The Ghost is in the direct path..keep him and his wife in your prayers

Will do. Do you know if they evacuated?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »

Edited to add: I don't take tropical storms lightly either. Even tropical depressions can be devastating. Speaking from experience.

Same here...  thought I saw it all until Humberto in '07.  From tropical wave to landfalling Cat 1 storm in 18 hours.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2018, 05:32:01 pm »
Geez, the eye wall rivals that of Andrew, quite rare at this latitude.  And it wobbled right over Panama City.  These people are going to need a lot of help.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:31 pm »
Will do. Do you know if they evacuated?

No..last I talked to him he was staying...he said he was prepared..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »
It made landfall with sustained winds of 155mph just to the west of Mexico Beach.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 05:49:54 pm »
• Up to 14 feet of storm surge is expected in Apalachicola, likely this afternoon, near the peak of the storm. About 50% of residents there didn’t evacuate, Apalachicola Police Chief Bobby Varnes estimated. “If they need help, they can give a call, but it’s probably too dangerous. … There’s no ambulance service, no medical, so they’re pretty much going to be on their own until it lets up.”

https://fox2now.com/2018/10/10/hurricane-michael-makes-landfall-near-mexico-beach-florida/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
No..last I talked to him he was staying...he said he was prepared..

Afraid there is not much preparation you can do for a near Cat 5 storm. (if the winds coming ashore were 155 mph).
Hopefully, he decided to evacuate.

I rode out Rita with 125 mph winds.   Never again my friend.

Category 4
(major)   130-156 mph
113-136 kt
209-251 km/h   Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

Category 5
(major)   157 mph or higher
137 kt or higher
252 km/h or higher   Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2018, 06:06:28 pm »
Michael's minimum central pressure — a key measure of hurricane strength — was measured at 919 millibars when it made landfall. That makes Michael the third strongest hurricane to ever hit the US, and the strongest in 50 years.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 06:10:12 pm »
Michael's minimum central pressure — a key measure of hurricane strength — was measured at 919 millibars when it made landfall. That makes Michael the third strongest hurricane to ever hit the US, and the strongest in 50 years.

'35 Labor Day and Camille.  Those are legendary Hurricanes.

Lower pressure than Andrew , Hugo, Katrina,   wow...just wow.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 06:18:06 pm »
Sandy was bad. I’m praying for everyone.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 07:05:08 pm »
Florida Gov. Rick Scott said he is “scared to death” for residents who didn't evacuate.

“Our biggest concern is … the people that chose not to evacuate,” he told CNN Wednesday.

“I spent time the last few days going up and down the coast getting people to evacuate but this is a horrible, horrible storm – 150-plus mph (winds), at least 12 inches of rain. But the thing I think people don’t realize is the storm surge. Whether it’s six feet or 14 feet, it’s all deadly. And I’m very concerned that people are not taking that into consideration,” Scott added.

Rescue teams manned by more than 1,000 people were prepared to help once the storm passes, along with members of the National Guard and US Coast Guard, he said.

“But I am scared to death for people that chose not to evacuate,” the governor said, mentioning 50 residents who refused to evacuate one of the barrier islands in Franklin County.

“I worry about them every second and I hope there’re no children there who didn’t have the choice on their own to make these decisions,” Scott said. “I’m just praying for them and, as soon as this passes, we will be out there doing everything we can to rescue everybody … We will take care of each other.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/tropical-storm-hurricane-michael-florida/index.html

Online mountaineer

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 07:23:56 pm »
This guy's updates are pretty good. https://twitter.com/RyanMaue
Ryan Maue | weathermodels.com  Verified account @RyanMaue
52m52 minutes ago

Eye of #HurricaneMichael heading into Calhoun County, Florida.

The eyewall will be encompassing 50-miles of Interstate 10 ... winds from the east will align with the road direction.  I'd recommend against driving a high profile vehicle unless it has wings.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2018, 07:27:41 pm »

Ginger Zee
‏Verified account @Ginger_Zee

Damage now from the back side of our condo building in Mexico Beach. #Michael

Offline Applewood

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 07:33:34 pm »
FWIW -- this was on my MSN news feed -- map showing Michael's trajectory, plus 3 other storms -- 2 in the Atlantic and one in the Pacific. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/severeweather/hurricanes?hurricane=2018-michael&ocid=spartandhp

Who said hurricane season is over?  Not quite.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 07:39:55 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:00 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:14 pm »
To the folks in the panhandle who are posting videos and expressing such amazement at the storm's intensity:  they told you not to stay there!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2018, 08:11:17 pm »
Kind of jumping around, but the tropical downpours have reached the flood zones in the Carolinas.  A really stubborn band has been parked over us for most of the afternoon ... much more on the way.  I don't recall another year when the summer lasted into mid October.  The mosquitoes are big enough to carry you away.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2018, 08:17:23 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2018, 08:25:28 pm »
! No longer available

Well, at least I don't see some poor reporter hanging on for dear life just to show us how bad the hurricane is.

Silver Pines

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2018, 08:39:07 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
@Freya 

Catherine, Where are you today?  What is coming to you based on your weather guys/women?

@Victoria33

I'm doing laundry and things around here.  Think we'll go out tonight.  We're supposed to get a couple of inches of rain, like @Freya.  Or we were...since it'll be a Cat 5 when it strikes, they upgraded the wind.  Might be more rain now.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
To the folks in the panhandle who are posting videos and expressing such amazement at the storm's intensity:  they told you not to stay there!

Charlie is still fresh in the minds of many Floridians.  They remember how the government kept them from going back to their homes while looters moved freely about their neighborhoods like locusts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2018, 08:44:32 pm »
Well, at least I don't see some poor reporter hanging on for dear life just to show us how bad the hurricane is.

They went inside once the serious stuff arrived.  Time mag had a live YouTube from a Holiday Inn Express in Panama City that was incredible.  The front of the building overhang came crashing down on top of a lot of cars, along with other assorted damage.  The billboard and base next to the Waffle House crashed right over into the building.  Wild stuff.

Here is the vid... If you scroll back in time you'll see quite an exhibition of nature's fury.  Prayers for all that are dealing with it first hand.

! No longer available

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »