Author Topic: Alex Trebek Should Have Moderated The Pennsylvania Debate Like He Does ‘Jeopardy’  (Read 1017 times)

Online mountaineer

Alex Trebek Should Have Moderated The Pennsylvania Debate Like He Does ‘Jeopardy’
As with Alex Trebek the quiz show host, Trebek the moderator should seek to blend himself into the background, rather than seeking even more power to make a spectacle of himself
by Christopher Jacobs   
October 5, 2018

“I’ll take bad moderators for $1,200, Alex.” On Monday night, famed “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek moderated a gubernatorial debate in Pennsylvania. It put his reputation in, well, jeopardy. Reactions poured in online during and after the debate, the vast majority of them negative.

Trebek suffered such opprobrium largely because, while officiating the debate, he forgot the skill that makes him such a great game show host—taking himself out of the equation. As with Carlos Ramos, the chair umpire at the center of a controversy with Serena Williams at last month’s U.S. Open final, Trebek seemed too insistent on making himself, not the candidates, the center of attention. ...

One question in particular showed both Trebek’s liberal bias and his policy ignorance. The moderator loudly complained about education policy, attacking former Republican Gov. Tom Corbett for “knock[ing] off $1 billion” in spending. In a lengthy discussion of education, Trebek never referred to test results or schooling outcomes, instead obsessing solely on the amount of spending, as if spending more money can guarantee excellence. ... 
Entire article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

I listened to some of this shitshow in the car on the ride home. It was easily the worst debate I ever heard. Trebek kept talking over Wagner when he tried to respond to questions and letting the Commie Pinko Gov jump in whenever he wanted to defend his weak record.

Online mountaineer

I listened to some of this shitshow in the car on the ride home. It was easily the worst debate I ever heard. Trebek kept talking over Wagner when he tried to respond to questions and letting the Commie Pinko Gov jump in whenever he wanted to defend his weak record.
I didn't get a chance to watch or listen to it, but this isn't surprising.

Whose bright idea was it to bring in a Canadian lefty as moderator, anyway, and is Trebek that pathetically stupid not to know what the job of moderator entails?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org