Author Topic: Get a Solid POD and Identity  (Read 5701 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Get a Solid POD and Identity
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
We have a similar setup for our business. My husband was out of state when this last storm came thru NC.  I put all the pet stuff in the car, sat out the pet crates in the house and realized that all I had to do to move our business was load up 2 desktops, 2 laptops, firewall, router, switch and Synology box and that was our business. Kind of comforting.

Yep. I have it even better - All I need is a functioning Windows machine with my user active, an address and a password. Download my backup program from there, install and restore, and my profile with all my critical data is on that box in less than an hour, and my complete data set will be onboard by morning.... From anywhere in the world.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »
And physical media can't similarly be destroyed?

Not if replicated in multiple locations... That makes it pretty hard to lose.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 09:35:14 pm »
Different strokes... My storage well eclipsed manual back up a decade ago... and I haven't owned an operating printer in at least 6 years or more.

So electronic data storage is pretty important to me - which is in part why I do not want it in untrustworthy hands. I happen to have the convenience of being in the business, with all the tech expertise that entails, having already paid for domain and big up-and-down broadband, and having a son who is likewise enabled (and like-minded).

I am already meticulously backed up locally - to include a final resting place in a NAS, which, if the place is burning down, is all I would have to grab on the way out the door, along with my dog and the family Bible... But the natural outgrowth of that was to outsource that storage off-site so that even in a catastrophic event, that data remains safely accounted for. My son, across town, was likewise encumbered. A third node in Tennessee will be going up sometime this winter at my brother's place, and a fourth is planned in Chicago, with my BIL... And if the whole US is going to hell, I have an option to go international with my other BIL down in Costa Rica...

BUT, with all that available, the same can be applied to calendar and PIM services, media streaming, and etc, all behind encrypted data streams. Overkill, I know - But if the capability exists.... why not?

Ever look at dd-wrt?  Great way to bridge networks with friends, if you're willing to invest a little time setting it up.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »
Yeah, but Amazon's thumb drives only go up to 128GB. Micro Center goes up to 512GB, but it'll set you back $159.

Does anyone know what the storage life of a thumb drive is? I bet it ain't much.

I've got a 128MB thumb drive on my desk I picked up in 2002 in Singapore that still works fine.  It's really more a question of how many times you write to it than how old it is.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:19 pm »
Ever look at dd-wrt?  Great way to bridge networks with friends, if you're willing to invest a little time setting it up.

Yes.. It is getting complicated... But the next step is probably a penguin sitting in the DMZ.  :shrug:

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:58 pm »
Yes.. It is getting complicated... But the next step is probably a penguin sitting in the DMZ.  :shrug:

If you're thinking something like Openswan, dd-wrt is probably the better answer, IMO.

Once you get a decent handle on it, you could make some bucks setting it up for people as a service.  It's rock solid (I've never had a blip in several years), and with a little simple scripting you could give customers a utility to fix things if they mess them up.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
Not if replicated in multiple locations... That makes it pretty hard to lose.

Encrypt it save it to s3?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:57:00 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 11:25:20 pm »
Encrypt it save it to s3?

No, like I said, I have my own hardware. I want nothing to do with the cloud.