Author Topic: Get a Solid POD and Identity  (Read 5699 times)

Offline mrclose

Get a Solid POD and Identity
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:26:34 pm »
I see lots of folks are getting all lathered up and excited over this thing called Solid Pod and even though the site goes into an explanation of what this is all about ... I am still Clueless!?

Solid is decentralized, so there is no central place to “signup”. Instead, you can register an identity and get a POD on a Solid server, anywhere in the world. You can even stand up your own!

Could one of you computer/internet savvy folks check it out and ... in simplified english, Help me out here?

Apparently .. It's Free!

https://solid.inrupt.com/get-a-solid-pod

Solid Explained

Within the Solid ecosystem, you decide where you store your data. Photos you take, comments you write, contacts in your address book, calendar events, how many miles you run each day from your fitness tracker… they’re all stored in your Solid POD. This Solid POD can be in your house or workplace, or with an online Solid POD provider of your choice. Since you own your data, you’re free to move it at any time, without interruption of service.

You give people and your apps permission to read or write to parts of your Solid POD. So whenever you’re opening up a new app, you don’t have to fill out your details ever again: they are read from your POD with your permission. Things saved through one app are available in another: you never have to sync, because your data stays with you.

https://solid.inrupt.com/how-it-works

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Get a Solid POD and Identity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »
I'd like to know too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:51:36 pm »
Within the Solid ecosystem, you decide where you store your data. Photos you take, comments you write, contacts in your address book, calendar events, how many miles you run each day from your fitness tracker… they’re all stored in your Solid POD. This Solid POD can be in your house or workplace, or with an online Solid POD provider of your choice. Since you own your data, you’re free to move it at any time, without interruption of service.

So its free for now. You migrate all your personal data into it. You begin to depend upon it.

Then "Lo and Behold" they convert it into a "Service" with a monthly charge.

If you do not "Pay the Piper" then you get locked out of your own personal data.

Sure, Sounds like a Good Idear, Doncha Think?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »
"Within the Solid ecosystem, you decide where you store your data. Photos you take, comments you write, contacts in your address book, calendar events, how many miles you run each day from your fitness tracker… they’re all stored in your Solid POD. This Solid POD can be in your house or workplace, or with an online Solid POD provider of your choice. Since you own your data, you’re free to move it at any time, without interruption of service."
================================================================

What's the downside risk of an intrusive outfit like Google, Facebook, or Amazon from abuse of info or data?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:08:07 pm »
You can buy a huge USB thumb drive on Amazon for like $10.  :shrug:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »
You can buy a huge USB thumb drive on Amazon for like $10.  :shrug:

Yeah, but Amazon's thumb drives only go up to 128GB. Micro Center goes up to 512GB, but it'll set you back $159.

Does anyone know what the storage life of a thumb drive is? I bet it ain't much.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:39:27 pm by Elderberry »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:01 pm »

Does anyone know what the storage life of a thumb drive is? I bet it ain't much.

Or will it meet the same obsolescence as those 5 1/4" floppies......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 04:49:08 pm »
I used to archive to Mini DV tape.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:06 pm »
And with my first computer, a SYM-1, I backed up to cassette tape.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
I see lots of folks are getting all lathered up and excited over this thing called Solid Pod and even though the site goes into an explanation of what this is all about ... I am still Clueless!?

Could one of you computer/internet savvy folks check it out and ... in simplified english, Help me out here?

Apparently .. It's Free!

Well, to begin with... this looks like a fledgling attempt, still in development, so your confusion is understandable, @mrclose

It looks like something similar to a 'my cloud' gimmick... Where you control where your online data is located - something I am extremely interested in controlling already.

I don't like using MS and Google for online storage. I don't like my email and calendar being controlled by others... Where i may or may not be able to confidently count upon historical data being available when I may need it... I don't like my pics and vids automagically whisked off to be stored who-knows-where... And I don't use apps that make all that happen.

That's what makes 'the cloud' work, and more and more, it is getting hard to avoid it.

But my current project is meant to do exactly that - It started with my son and I setting a backup server at each-the-other's house... That has grown to become a backup service for the entire family - all held on family controlled servers... to include a media streaming service for stored media... I am currently working on calendar and email services and we will soon even have encrypted private messaging... We will have a completely private cloud before it is done, and free of any corporate service, with the exception of the cost of a domain.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:54:16 pm »
Thank You @roamer_1

Since I don't have much that I am worried about protecting ... would you say that it would be something that I could try without messing up something on my own computer?
(There is a download app)
~ Self

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:01:22 pm »
Thank You @roamer_1

Since I don't have much that I am worried about protecting ... would you say that it would be something that I could try without messing up something on my own computer?
(There is a download app)

I don't know... Who knows anything about these guys? And that brings the salient point - How is it any different than trusting your data to google?

@mrclose

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
Perhaps a more practicable solution would be to buy a domain and learn your way into Virtual Private Networking... And perhaps the way to start is with a secondary box (used pooters are cheap) and setting a net-facing FTP server (requires port forwarding, so you need to understand and control your router)... Once that FTP server is working you can set your system to back up there, and now your files are available to you anywhere, just like with 'the cloud'

@mrclose

Offline mrclose

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »
I don't know... Who knows anything about these guys? And that brings the salient point - How is it any different than trusting your data to google?

@mrclose
@roamer_1

I do use Google Drive for storage but ... call me crazy, I enjoy testing and playing around with stuff! 8)

"Stuff" like apps and new web applications.

As I said, I'm not worried about protecting much , if anything on my pc.

PS: BBL
~ Self

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:48 pm »
Perhaps a more practicable solution would be to buy a domain and learn your way into Virtual Private Networking... And perhaps the way to start is with a secondary box (used pooters are cheap) and setting a net-facing FTP server (requires port forwarding, so you need to understand and control your router)... Once that FTP server is working you can set your system to back up there, and now your files are available to you anywhere, just like with 'the cloud'

@mrclose

I mentioned a USB thumb drive, I guess these guys were concerned with long term storage? If this is your aim, why not get an external hard drive?

Personally I never saw the problem with hard copies of stuff. I cannot think of much, digitally, that I could not afford to lose, have it vanish off the face of the earth.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »
@roamer_1

I do use Google Drive for storage but ... call me crazy, I enjoy testing and playing around with stuff! 8)

"Stuff" like apps and new web applications.

As I said, I'm not worried about protecting much , if anything on my pc.

PS: BBL

*SHRUGS*
Then knock yourself out, I guess. I won't be much help then, as I am trying to get under all of that web oriented crap to provide those services without the corporate dependencies.  :shrug:
@mrclose

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
I mentioned a USB thumb drive, I guess these guys were concerned with long term storage? If this is your aim, why not get an external hard drive?

Personally I never saw the problem with hard copies of stuff. I cannot think of much, digitally, that I could not afford to lose, have it vanish off the face of the earth.

Different strokes... My storage well eclipsed manual back up a decade ago... and I haven't owned an operating printer in at least 6 years or more.

So electronic data storage is pretty important to me - which is in part why I do not want it in untrustworthy hands. I happen to have the convenience of being in the business, with all the tech expertise that entails, having already paid for domain and big up-and-down broadband, and having a son who is likewise enabled (and like-minded).

I am already meticulously backed up locally - to include a final resting place in a NAS, which, if the place is burning down, is all I would have to grab on the way out the door, along with my dog and the family Bible... But the natural outgrowth of that was to outsource that storage off-site so that even in a catastrophic event, that data remains safely accounted for. My son, across town, was likewise encumbered. A third node in Tennessee will be going up sometime this winter at my brother's place, and a fourth is planned in Chicago, with my BIL... And if the whole US is going to hell, I have an option to go international with my other BIL down in Costa Rica...

BUT, with all that available, the same can be applied to calendar and PIM services, media streaming, and etc, all behind encrypted data streams. Overkill, I know - But if the capability exists.... why not?   

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 07:44:39 pm »
*SHRUGS*
Then knock yourself out, I guess. I won't be much help then, as I am trying to get under all of that web oriented crap to provide those services without the corporate dependencies.  :shrug:
@mrclose

Google drive is a cloud backup of a local drive. If Google disappears tomorrow you still have your data.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »
Google drive is a cloud backup of a local drive. If Google disappears tomorrow you still have your data.

My son's server across town acts in exactly the same function, without the google 'right' to my data.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 08:36:24 pm »
Different strokes... My storage well eclipsed manual back up a decade ago... and I haven't owned an operating printer in at least 6 years or more.

So electronic data storage is pretty important to me - which is in part why I do not want it in untrustworthy hands. I happen to have the convenience of being in the business, with all the tech expertise that entails, having already paid for domain and big up-and-down broadband, and having a son who is likewise enabled (and like-minded).

I am already meticulously backed up locally - to include a final resting place in a NAS, which, if the place is burning down, is all I would have to grab on the way out the door, along with my dog and the family Bible... But the natural outgrowth of that was to outsource that storage off-site so that even in a catastrophic event, that data remains safely accounted for. My son, across town, was likewise encumbered. A third node in Tennessee will be going up sometime this winter at my brother's place, and a fourth is planned in Chicago, with my BIL... And if the whole US is going to hell, I have an option to go international with my other BIL down in Costa Rica...

BUT, with all that available, the same can be applied to calendar and PIM services, media streaming, and etc, all behind encrypted data streams. Overkill, I know - But if the capability exists.... why not?

We have a similar setup for our business. My husband was out of state when this last storm came thru NC.  I put all the pet stuff in the car, sat out the pet crates in the house and realized that all I had to do to move our business was load up 2 desktops, 2 laptops, firewall, router, switch and Synology box and that was our business. Kind of comforting. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
Yeah, but Amazon's thumb drives only go up to 128GB. Micro Center goes up to 512GB, but it'll set you back $159.

Does anyone know what the storage life of a X is? I bet it ain't much.

True where X = just about anything.

Except hard copies.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 08:41:42 pm »
Does anyone know what the storage life of a X is? I bet it ain't much.

True where X = just about anything.

Except hard copies.

There are optical discs that are unquestionably the hardiest, handiest archival media available to consumers. Write-once BD-R HTL (High To Low) can last for 100 to 150 years given a relatively mild environment—i.e., not on your dashboard in Phoenix. Milleniatta’s M-Disc BD-R and DVD+R write-once discs use an even more stable data layer that is rated for 10,000 years. Only its polycarbonate outer layers reduce that to a mere 1,000 years.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 08:45:27 pm »
Except hard copies.

Until water or fire...

I lost all my hard copy in my divorce. She burned it. ALL of it.
Thankfully, it was all onboard the single hard drive I took from that house.

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 08:45:58 pm »
There are optical discs that are unquestionably the hardiest, handiest archival media available to consumers. Write-once BD-R HTL (High To Low) can last for 100 to 150 years given a relatively mild environment—i.e., not on your dashboard in Phoenix. Milleniatta’s M-Disc BD-R and DVD+R write-once discs use an even more stable data layer that is rated for 10,000 years. Only its polycarbonate outer layers reduce that to a mere 1,000 years.

By definition that is theoretical only.

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »
Until water or fire...

I lost all my hard copy in my divorce. She burned it. ALL of it.
Thankfully, it was all onboard the single hard drive I took from that house.

And physical media can't similarly be destroyed?