Author Topic: Frank the Tank makes escape in Hewitt neighborhood  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Frank the Tank makes escape in Hewitt neighborhood
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »
Waco Trib By KRISTIN HOPPA 9/27/2018

A pursuit through a Hewitt neighborhood reached the pace of a “brisk walk” after a large pet tortoise broke through its owner’s fence.

A neighbor reported a “large turtle” loose in a yard in the 200 block of Russell Lane at about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. Animal control Officer Jeff Douglas said he was working on reports at the time and did not immediately go to the neighborhood.

“I wasn’t in that much of a hurry to get out there, because it was just a turtle in a yard. About 15 minutes later, I got a call of another one, and I thought ‘why are there two different people calling in about a turtle?’” Douglas said. “I went out there, and there was a man holding his arms out saying there is a turtle this big around.”

Since the first call, the 15-year-old African spurred tortoise named Frank the Tank had made it about a block and a half from the yard on Russell Lane to East Johnson Street, Douglas said.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/greater_waco/hewitt/tortoise-makes-escape-in-hewitt-neighborhood/article_52a591e3-e086-5bbc-b8a9-242a823e0a8a.html

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Frank the Tank makes escape in Hewitt neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:31:16 am »
Hmm, so Frank has escaped before? He needs a stronger fence.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:51:40 am »
Hmm, so Frank has escaped before? He needs a stronger fence.

Dang! They've got a chain-link fence. What's next concrete?

My Yellow Lab Toby got it thru his head that he was no longer going to be penned up in the back yard. He would chew thru the fence, dig under, break the boards, again and again. Until he got out and must of gotten into some bad ditch water and got paralyzed with "Coon Fever". Once he recovered, he was happy again to be in the back yard.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:57:00 am »
Dang! They've got a chain-link fence. What's next concrete?

My Yellow Lab Toby got it thru his head that he was no longer going to be penned up in the back yard. He would chew thru the fence, dig under, break the boards, again and again. Until he got out and must of gotten into some bad ditch water and got paralyzed with "Coon Fever". Once he recovered, he was happy again to be in the back yard.

Glad he recovered. I have two little dogs and while I have a fence, I always go outside with them. Too many critters out here.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:08:32 am »
Glad he recovered. I have two little dogs and while I have a fence, I always go outside with them. Too many critters out here.

I currently have 2 outside dogs 55 and 70 lbs and 3 inside dogs. my Bane, 30lbs and my daughters 2 dogs, both 15 lbs or so. I always go out with the inside dogs. I grew up with a Toy Manchester and when I had Sugar out in the woods with me, I'd see the buzzards sure wanting to swoop down on him. They don't wait to find something dead. I used to take my Bijon Gigi out in the woods with me but her paws would get so filled with burs to where she couldn't walk anymore.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:28:59 am »
I currently have 2 outside dogs 55 and 70 lbs and 3 inside dogs. my Bane, 30lbs and my daughters 2 dogs, both 15 lbs or so. I always go out with the inside dogs. I grew up with a Toy Manchester and when I had Sugar out in the woods with me, I'd see the buzzards sure wanting to swoop down on him. They don't wait to find something dead. I used to take my Bijon Gigi out in the woods with me but her paws would get so filled with burs to where she couldn't walk anymore.

I spoil my little rescue terriers shamelessly. Lots of buzzards around and my little girl is twelve pounds. Hank is 20#. Lots of hawks, too. I even saw a great horned owl one early evening. He was eyeing a jack rabbit and I spoiled his hunt when I walked by and spooked the hare. The owl flew off and the wingspan is so impressive.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:59:41 am »
All of our dogs are rescue dogs, except for our Daisy whose the offspring of our rescue Rottweiler/Shepherd and Golden Retriever. I had a pet Screech Owl. I think they are amazing animals.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:50 am »
I spoil my little rescue terriers shamelessly. Lots of buzzards around and my little girl is twelve pounds. Hank is 20#. Lots of hawks, too. I even saw a great horned owl one early evening. He was eyeing a jack rabbit and I spoiled his hunt when I walked by and spooked the hare. The owl flew off and the wingspan is so impressive.

I bet you get Mexican Eagles where you're at. I would see lots of them where I used to hunt on Clark Creek Rd, down 337 toward Vanderpool.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:13 pm »
Right in my neck of the woods. I'll keep an eye out for the caracara.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 04:07:31 pm »
This handsome young fellow visited me this morning. Yesterday I saw a fawn who was probably born in late May and almost as big as mama, nursing.
 Mama complied, but I didn't know deer nursed so late.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:39:19 am by Mod2 »

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:13:49 pm »
What's wrong with all you people?

By now we should have seen several jokes identifying @Frank Cannon as the escapee. 

(Sigh.)

Offline austingirl

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
Sorry for the size of the photo above. I've looked in vain for the instructions of how to resize an image. And I doubt I'd be able to do it with my lousy computer skills.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 12:40:01 am »
What's wrong with all you people?

By now we should have seen several jokes identifying @Frank Cannon as the escapee. 

(Sigh.)

We saved that for you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 12:50:08 am »
This handsome young fellow visited me this morning. Yesterday I saw a fawn who was probably born in late May and almost as big as mama, nursing.

When you add a link to an image, you'll see something like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/NjSR8ir.jpg[/img]
You can change the size by adjusting the width, like this:

[img width=600]https://i.imgur.com/NjSR8ir.jpg[/img]

Edit:  Add ping @austingirl

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:52:28 am by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 01:20:35 am »
When you add a link to an image, you'll see something like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NjSR8ir.jpg[/img]
You can change the size by adjusting the width, like this:

[img width=600]https://i.imgur.com/NjSR8ir.jpg[/img]

Edit:  Add ping @austingirl

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer  Thanks much! I will save this.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 02:10:29 am »

My Great Pyrenees would just set and smile at that deer.  He has no prey drive.  During the fires in  California, a Pyre named  Odin not only saved his goats but adopted 3 deer during the ordeal and saved them also.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:37:09 am »
My Great Pyrenees would just set and smile at that deer.  He has no prey drive.  During the fires in  California, a Pyre named  Odin not only saved his goats but adopted 3 deer during the ordeal and saved them also.

Hank will sometimes rush at deer when they are outside the backyard fence. Harriet will bark but not chase. If we're outside on a walk, Hank will just stand and stare at them.