Author Topic: Paul Simon ends farewell tour in Queens, New York, not far from where he grew up  (Read 637 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Paul Simon ends farewell tour in Queens, New York, not far from where he grew up
CBS News, Sep 23, 2018

NEW YORK -- Paul Simon wraps up his farewell concert tour Saturday night at a park in Queens, a bicycle ride across the borough from where he grew up. The 76-year-old singer picked Flushing Meadows Corona Park to say goodbye, an outdoor show on the first night of autumn. 

The setlist at recent stops has ranged from his first 1960s hit with ex-partner Art Garfunkel, "The Sound of Silence," to selections from a disc released weeks ago.

[...]

The return to New York raised memories of Simon's two iconic shows in Manhattan's Central Park, in 1981 with Garfunkel and in 1991 on his own. He played two nights in Madison Square Garden earlier this week.

Thousands flocked to his last show of his last tour in his own hometown, CBS New York reports. The concert called "Homeward Bound: The Farewell Performance" was held not far from where Simon grew up in Kew Gardens Hills.

"I grew up in Queens and I'm here to see one of the Queens heroes, Paul Simon," one fan said.

"I'm so excited. I've been here with my dad. I'm a little bit from the younger generation, and he's from the time of Paul Simon, but we're having a really good time," Christina Millie told CBS New York.

More:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-simon-flushing-meadows-corona-park-farewell-tour-tonight-2018-09-22/