Author Topic: Mexicans Leaving in Droves – and Not Just Because of ICE  (Read 671 times)

Offline corbe

Mexicans Leaving in Droves – and Not Just Because of ICE
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »
Mexicans Leaving in Droves – and Not Just Because of ICE

Immigration is dropping – one of the reasons might surprise you.

By: Kelli Ballard |  September 21, 2018

Recent census numbers show a drastic decline in Mexican immigrants in the U.S., but should we really be surprised? President Trump’s crack down on illegal immigration and the strong message being sent to those contemplating coming here illegally was surely part of the reason. But, added to the sudden drop in Mexican immigrants comes another concern – lack of help for farmers and other industries. Should we be concerned? Let’s dig into the nuts and bolts of the situation.

By the Numbers

Just how much has the population of Mexican immigrants – legal and otherwise – dropped since Trump took office? According to an article in the Huffington Post, there were 11.7 million Mexico-born residents in the U.S. – a peak time for Mexican immigrants before the Great Recession sent a lot back home to try and scrape out a living. That number dropped slightly in 2017 to 11.3 million, but since Trump took office, it is estimated that 300,000 of these immigrants have left the U.S. between 2016 and 2017.

Here’s the comparison between Trump and Obama:

Mexican Immigrant population

Obama years
•2011 saw a drop by 38,484.
•2012 saw a drop by 109,245
•2013 saw an increase of 21,603.
•2014 saw an increase of 129,512.
•2015 saw a drop by 71,191.

Trump years
•2016 saw a decrease by 69,618.
•2017 saw a decrease by 303,767.

What does this tell us?  In five years under Obama, the Mexican immigrant population only actually decreased by 67,805, while in just two years under Trump, 373,385 immigrants left the U.S.  Between 2007 and 2008, during the Great Depression, was the last time we saw so drastic a reduction – approximately 326,000.

<..snip..>

https://www.libertynation.com/mexicans-leaving-in-droves-and-not-just-because-of-ice/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Re: Mexicans Leaving in Droves – and Not Just Because of ICE
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
The problem isn't so much Mexicans anymore as it is other central American illegals.

And I'm not sure I understand why the agriculture industry would be hurt by any exodus of illegal labor. Doesn't the US have a seasonal work permit program?

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Mexicans Leaving in Droves – and Not Just Because of ICE
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »

And I'm not sure I understand why the agriculture industry would be hurt by any exodus of illegal labor. Doesn't the US have a seasonal work permit program?

Yes.  I know a Jamaican that has come into the US on a seasonal work permit this summer and last summer to work in a resort in Cape Cod.