Author Topic: Retire in these five cities where you can thrive on $37,000 a year  (Read 913 times)

Offline endicom

Retire in these five cities where you can thrive on $37,000 a year
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:59:37 pm »
CNBC
Jill Cornfield
Sept. 14, 2018

If you want a great retirement, you might want to think outside the box and consider a move overseas.

Baby boomers who are concerned about their future often overlook this retirement solution, says Edd Staton.

Staton should know. He and his wife, Cynthia, moved to Cuenca, Ecuador, in 2010 in the wake of the financial crisis. Since then, the two have written several books about their experience retiring abroad.

Instead of steep medical costs and Medicare coverage gaps, the Statons found quality health care for a fraction of what they would pay in the U.S.

Instead of watching their nest egg shrink, the Statons say theirs is gaining value.

More... https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/retire-on-37000-a-year-in-these-five-overseas-cities.html

Offline endicom

Re: Retire in these five cities where you can thrive on $37,000 a year
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »

I'm torn between Hanoi, Phnom Penh and Lisbon. Actually, I do like those seasonal temperatures in Lisbon.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:22:30 pm »
When I was young I always dreamed of retiring in some 3rd world shithole country.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:32 pm »
When I was young I always dreamed of retiring in some 3rd world shithole country.

I'm sure I would be made very welcome in Hanoi.  /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »
I'm sure I would be made very welcome in Hanoi.  /s

I have a retired Navy Seal friend who would say the same thing and maybe throw in his favorite (as already mentioned) vacation spot Phnom Penh.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
I have a retired Navy Seal friend who would say the same thing and maybe throw in his favorite (as already mentioned) vacation spot Phnom Penh.

I was thinking that but didn't say it.  I'm sure we would be fine until we had that really bad accident.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien