Author Topic: Verizon Just Destroyed The Case For 'Net Neutrality'  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Verizon Just Destroyed The Case For 'Net Neutrality'
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:44:50 pm »
https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/verizon-5g-home-net-neutrality/

Verizon Just Destroyed The Case For 'Net Neutrality'
9/13/2018

Regulations: Verizon started letting people sign up for its new wireless 5G Home high-speed internet service this week. It doesn't just mark the start of the next internet revolution. It obliterates the case for net-neutrality regulations.

On Tuesday, Verizon said that people can start signing up now for its 5G Home, with service starting on Oct. 1 in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles and Sacramento, Calif. Speeds will, the company says, be as fast as 1 Gbps, which is about as fast as Verizon's FIOS gets. It's more than 10 times faster than what the average home gets today.

What's different about 5G Home is that it doesn't require digging trenches or laying cable to hit those blistering speeds. Instead, it uses new wireless transmission technology. That means Verizon can start offering fiber optic speeds anywhere in the country, simply by installing mini cell towers in a given area.

5G Race Is On

Other carriers are racing to get their own 5G networks deployed. AT&T says it will launch its first mobile 5G network by the end of this year. T-Mobile aims for a nationwide 5G network in less than two years, with speeds up to 4 Gbps.

All of it means more competition for high-speed internet at home.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Verizon Just Destroyed The Case For 'Net Neutrality'
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:47:58 pm »
The initial cost looks to be $50 per month for current Verizon customers and $70 per month for non-current customers.

Some home installation FAQ's can be found here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/5g-home-installation-faqs/

Looks very interesting.
I'm currently on Frontier VDSL, which is a carry-over from ATT Uverse. My speeds are slow: 8.4mbps at its best.

I've thought about going to cable for greatly increased speeds (and perhaps a little less money, too).

I might sign up for a 2-year contract with Comcast to carry me over until 5g becomes available here (SW Connecticut)...

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: Verizon Just Destroyed The Case For 'Net Neutrality'
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:31:04 pm »
The massive increases in bandwidth in these rollouts will require corresponding increases in router capacity. Would Cisco be the primary beneficiary, or are other router makers better positioned to take advantage?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA